The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

I read recently (sorry don't have the link) that donations to his legal bills was around $50 million. I'm not sure it was explicit like funds specifically for it or he just used regular donations. May be off but even if off by $49 million it's mind boggling.

47 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

I read recently (sorry don't have the link) that donations to his legal bills was around $50 million. I'm not sure it was explicit like funds specifically for it or he just used regular donations. May be off but even if off by $49 million it's mind boggling.

It got complicated after he officially stood for election as it meant that political donations were supposed to be ring fenced from his legal expenses, maybe another court case in the offing.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It got complicated after he officially stood for election as it meant that political donations were supposed to be ring fenced from his legal expenses, maybe another court case in the offing.

That's why he wants control of the RNC, they can use funds to pay that...of course, they started this cycle almost broke. Even better, Lara Trump, Donald's "Suggestion" for the new RNC Chairman (they're Republicans, its still "man") said "Every dollar will be spent electing the next President. This means losses down ticket as funding dries up.

Trump’s gofundme currently at $433k, with about 8,700 donations, averaging $49. Assuming this continues, his fans will be tapped out around the $10 million mark. What is scary will be watching if there is a surge of donations about 1 March as the elderly receive benefits checks.

58 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Trump’s gofundme currently at $433k, with about 8,700 donations, averaging $49. Assuming this continues, his fans will be tapped out around the $10 million mark. What is scary will be watching if there is a surge of donations about 1 March as the elderly receive benefits checks.

How long does he have to appeal the fine? CBA researching it. 

35 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

How long does he have to appeal the fine? CBA researching it. 

30 days. I think he has to deposit the fine in an escrow account within that time as well, whether or not he appeals, which he definitely will. 

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

30 days. I think he has to deposit the fine in an escrow account within that time as well, whether or not he appeals, which he definitely will. 

I suspect there will be ways he can finance it. It'll be costly to finance it but I'd imagine that's what he'll do on appeal. Pay 10s of millions rather than 100s of millions.

1 hour ago, Trogdor said:

I suspect there will be ways he can finance it. It'll be costly to finance it but I'd imagine that's what he'll do on appeal. Pay 10s of millions rather than 100s of millions.

It not as easy as that.

1) Cash bond...deposit $355 million into an account to be held, at a small interest rate, until the appeal is resolved.

2) Property bond...pledge title to unmortgaged properties worth at least $355 million. Lose control of those properties until the appeal is done.

3) Bondsman...pay $33.5 million to a bondsman who is capable of paying $355 million plus if (and when) Trump defaults going forward if the appeal fails. It is unlikely there is any bondsman capable, let alone willing, to risk Trump. Additionally, the bondsman keeps the $33.5 million regardless, meaning Trump would have to pay the full $355 million when the appeal finally fails.

Additional note: Interest is gathering on the judgement at, I believe, 9%. That's about $85k per day right now, and the actual fine was at $364 million the day it was announced.

It's all a bit odd with no obvious victims, Deutsche Bank haven't complained. I was hoping they would also have looked at him undervaluing property for tax reasons, but apparently that's covered by the statue of limitations. Wouldn't surprise me if an appeal massively reduces the fine and other punishments, or even lets him off entirely. In the meantime I could see Turnberry temporarily coming into the ownership of the New York court. 

Edited by welshbairn

8 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's all a bit odd with no obvious victims, Deutsche Bank haven't complained. I was hoping they would also have looked at him undervaluing property for tax reasons, but apparently that's covered by the statue of limitations. Wouldn't surprise me if an appeal massively reduces the fine and other punishments, or even lets him off entirely. In the meantime I could see Turnberry temporarily coming into the ownership of the New York court. 

The victims are several and varied, of instance:

Shareholders in Deutsche Bank lost money.

Other people borrowing money paid higher rates or couldn't get loans.

Insurance companies shareholders were defrauded of money.

New York State lost money.

I would honestly not expect a reduction of any more than about 50% at most, simply because by playing hardball, committing other crimes during testimony and denying everything, the Trump Organization made it clear that they didn't care about anything but money. Also, they are pretty limited in where they can appeal, since this is a New York State Law issue. The consumer fraud aspect is where the appeal will be made, using the no victims argument, but I suspect it will fail because they can show the Trump Organization was unjustly enriched at the expense of stock holders in a number of companies..

Edited by TxRover

On 17/02/2024 at 23:15, TxRover said:

The fun bit of the GoFundMe is people don't comprehend just how large these numbers are. If he continued to receive about $126,000 a day, it would take about 2,817.5 days to raise the fine, without considering interest alone on that fine is about $87,535 per day. It's roughly 14 years to pay it off completely,

And the good news is, even if they do raise the money, it's still money which is being taken away from utter arseholes.

1 minute ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

And the good news is, even if they do raise the money, it's still money which is being taken away from utter arseholes.

Not a bad theory…but it’s going to save an even bigger arsehole from paying it himself so he can keep running for God Emperor or whatever they plan to call him.

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

It's all a bit odd with no obvious victims, Deutsche Bank haven't complained. I was hoping they would also have looked at him undervaluing property for tax reasons, but apparently that's covered by the statute of limitations. Wouldn't surprise me if an appeal massively reduces the fine and other punishments, or even lets him off entirely. In the meantime I could see Turnberry temporarily coming into the ownership of the New York court. 

Here’s a pretty useful look at the legal theory and ruling:

https://reason.com/2024/02/19/how-a-judge-arrived-at-a-staggering-disgorgement-order-against-trump/

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

Some speculation on possible payments of a bond for Trump in the E. Jean Carroll Case from Saudi interests…can’t see how that could go wrong…

He better behave. If Trump feks about and forfeits the bond....

If he fails to pay up to the Saudis, he could sell to the highest bidder the TV rights for him being buried up to his neck in sand and BBQ sauce poured over his head.  If it was on pay per view, I might sign up.

7 minutes ago, D Angelo Barksdale said:

Can't decide. Ruth Davidson or young Peter Lawall ?

That's been shopped to have Davidson's face, surely.