The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

FWIW, I can't see any criminal charges sticking but I can see him being de-barred from office.

When he attacked politicians in the Capitol he screwed up because these people won't forget and they will get their revenge. Equally though, politicians don't like sending politicians to jail because "there but for the Grace of God" and so on. Debarring him suits everyone - the Democrats, the Republicans and the entire political class who will portray him as not "normal". 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

FWIW, I can't see any criminal charges sticking but I can see him being de-barred from office.

When he attacked politicians in the Capitol he screwed up because these people won't forget and they will get their revenge. Equally though, politicians don't like sending politicians to jail because "there but for the Grace of God" and so on. Debarring him suits everyone - the Democrats, the Republicans and the entire political class who will portray him as not "normal". 

In fairness it was politicians that referred him for criminal charges.  As I understand it the DoJ, not politicians, will be the ones who decide whether or not to proceed.

27 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

In fairness it was politicians that referred him for criminal charges.  As I understand it the DoJ, not politicians, will be the ones who decide whether or not to proceed.

Yeah, they’re symbolic. In particular the referrals for Jordan, McCarthy and whoever the other two were mean zero because by the time the referral goes to the House committee, the Republicans will control the house - it’ll just be an opportunity to point out more scumbaggery on the part of the GOP come the time. 

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Correct, however the DOJ already has an investigation underway anyway.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Trump’s tax returns are going to get released.  Has absolutely zero effect other than the fact he will be incandescent with rage which will be fun.

Did the IRS ever finish that audit that was stopping him[citation needed] from releasing his tax returns?

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

Did the IRS ever finish that audit that was stopping him[citation needed] from releasing his tax returns?

Trump appointed a Beverley Hills tax lawyer as head of the IRS, who stopped the audits even though they're supposed to be mandatory for Presidents. So nobody checked if the huge cash payments he claimed to have made to charity to cut his tax bill were actually made, or anything else.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Trump appointed a Beverley Hills tax lawyer as head of the IRS, who stopped the audits even though they're supposed to be mandatory for Presidents. So nobody checked if the huge cash payments he claimed to have made to charity to cut his tax bill were actually made, or anything else.

I either didn't know, or forgot that.

Considering the audits were stopping the tax returns being released, according to Donny, presumably he's already released them and this is all nonsense.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

A Danish documentary is coming out about Roger Stone. Here he is after he finds out Trump isn't getting him another pardon after Jan 6th.

He seems like a well balanced guy.  Mind you I say that as someone born and brought up in Dundee.