The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

11 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Kevin McCarthy, seven time loser.  Even if he eventually gets the job his credibility is fucked.

He’s apparently agreed with the Nonce/BooBoo faction that a single member can propose a vote to oust the speaker going forward so there’s no point to him getting it, they’d just be doing that every other day. 

In its way, it's quite impressive that they've got this far without a tiny group of fascists blocking the business of government indefinitely.

What's the most amusing outcome here? Presumably if this continues long enough, the adults in the room will decide on a centrist candidate, which would just be far too sensible.

51 minutes ago, BFTD said:

In its way, it's quite impressive that they've got this far without a tiny group of fascists blocking the business of government indefinitely.

What's the most amusing outcome here? Presumably if this continues long enough, the adults in the room will decide on a centrist candidate, which would just be far too sensible.

From the Twitter pundits, Christopher Bouzy (who was closer on the midterms than anyone else; I think he was within 5 seats) reckons Steve Scalise doesn’t have the votes either. Scalise isn’t a centrist by any means but he’s the second in line after McCarthy. 

Steve Schmidt floated an interesting idea - reach out to Republicans in purple areas and offer that if they back Jeffries then the Democrats won’t run against them next time out. Seems good logic, given that the main threat to ‘normal’ GOP members (and I shudder as I use that term) would be being primaried by a heavily funded nutcase and those won’t fly in purple constituencies. Fred Upton, who’s only just retired, seems to be the name getting flung around a lot as a ‘consensus’ candidate. Although a lot of that is the press doing their usual ‘why won’t the Democrats bail out the GOP’ pish. 

25 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

what is a "purple area" @carpetmonster?

Democrat/Republican toss-up - close enough that either could win. Generally marked as purple on voting maps as halfway between blue Dem and red GOP.

Also, and the only reason I've cut in to reply to this, your bell end.

13 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Republicans hate each other more than they hate the Dems.

Most of those holding up this vote are from "The Freedom Caucus", a right wing / ultra right wing faction of the (already conservative) Republican party - sounds like our ERG on steroids.

Most of those in this group think the 2020 election was stolen, many are endorsed by Trump, and all but one represent "The South".

I havent looked too much into them, but I imagine they are anti abortion/gays/trans etc etc and love the bible or something like that. 

Perhaps the USA should just have another Civil War and be done with it?

Its not like they are short of guns, ammo and fat guys who think they are real soldiers.

54 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Republicans hate each other more than they hate the Dems.

The problem fundamentally is that there is no Republican majority. Sure, a majority of members of Congress might belong to the Republican party but ideologically, on a number of issues they may well as be different parties.

Not sure if this will have any success, but it will add to the orange c**t’s legal woes and, if even moderately successful, would undoubtedly lead to further lawsuits.

Donald Trump sued over death of police officer after US Capitol riot

https://news.sky.com/story/donald-trump-sued-over-death-of-police-officer-after-us-capitol-riot-12780927

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Looks like the fix is in on the 13th attempt, no nominations for oddballs like Trump or Jordon etc.

Gaetz presumably receiving a call from Daddy that he's a desperate wee nonce who won't be getting any pardons in 2025.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Gaetz presumably receiving a call from Daddy that he's a desperate wee nonce who won't be getting any pardons in 2025.

I think Gaetz still voted for Jordan despite him saying he doesn't want the job. All the serious players like Jordan have wrapped up committee jobs so they can do serious damage. Wee Gaetz will be back defending transporting minors for sexual purposes charges.

Edited by welshbairn

Imagine being at work, all the time knowing that a performatively angry attention-seeker like Gaetz or Boebert could demand a vote to have you fired every time you tried to get something done.