General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Santa is bringing my wee boy a steering wheel and racing seat for the PS5 this year.  I've got GT7 already and one of the older F1 games.

Anyone have any suggestions of other racing games for him?  They don't need to be the latest ones.

GT7 and the F1 games are a good start, as they have loads of optional assists to make the game as easy as they need to be.

I'm not sure how well they work with wheels, but I'd recommend Wreckfest, Dirt 5, Grid Legends, The Crew Motorfest and the Hot Wheels games as fun arcade racing games. The Need for Speed games are always dirt cheap in sales, but are maybe a bit too mature for your boy. Burnout Paradise is more child friendly and always on sale as well.

• 1 month later...
On 13/10/2023 at 17:36, GiGi said:

Kid me would be well chuffed as I have finally gotten my first racing wheel and pedal kit.

Adult me is fucking buzzing as well. 

The force feedback is mental, much more powerful than I expected.

I'm a bit late to this, but what did you get?

Oh, hold on

On 06/11/2023 at 10:08, KnightswoodBear said:

Santa is bringing my wee boy a steering wheel and racing seat for the PS5 this year.  I've got GT7 already and one of the older F1 games.

Anyone have any suggestions of other racing games for him?  They don't need to be the latest ones.

What set up did you get him?

2 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Picked up L.A. Noire on sale.

You can call me 'Detective'...

Reveal hidden contents

...I get 2-3 questions wrong on every case.

Jealous. It has its problems, but I really loved that game, and there aren't many like it. It reminded me most of Police Quest, which is 36 years old this year  :lol:

If you got it on PC, there's an unofficial 60fps patch that makes the game look/feel a lot better. It fucks up one of the puzzles, but you can turn it off to do that one, then back on again right after. Not sure if this is the one I used, but it looks pretty recent: https://github.com/VaanaCZ/LANVP

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Jealous. It has its problems, but I really loved that game, and there aren't many like it. It reminded me most of Police Quest, which is 36 years old this year  :lol:

If you got it on PC, there's an unofficial 60fps patch that makes the game look/feel a lot better. It fucks up one of the puzzles, but you can turn it off to do that one, then back on again right after. Not sure if this is the one I used, but it looks pretty recent: https://github.com/VaanaCZ/LANVP

Playing it on Xbox Series, running pretty well as expected. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, despite the obvious age of parts, and my own lack of ability. I do fear they'll sack me. :unsure2:

2 minutes ago, ClydeTon said:

Playing it on Xbox Series, running pretty well as expected. Thoroughly enjoying it so far, despite the obvious age of parts, and my own lack of ability. I do fear they'll sack me. :unsure2:

IIRC, you basically get chewed out for being shite and manage to fail upwards, like being a popular professional footballer going into management.

Apparently the "war hero" card is an effective shield against unemployment  :P

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Oh, hold on

What set up did you get him?

Went for a Logitech G29 wheel and a Diwangus (fnarr) seat.  The wheel is a few years old but seems to get good reviews and wasn't crazily expensive. The seat also got decent reviews and seems to work well with the wheel. 

18 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Went for a Logitech G29 wheel and a Diwangus (fnarr) seat.  The wheel is a few years old but seems to get good reviews and wasn't crazily expensive. The seat also got decent reviews and seems to work well with the wheel. 

I got my G29 in 2019 for £120. Then five months later covid happened and you couldn't get one for under £300. And that's about the cheapest one you can get that's still worth buying. It felt clunky for the first while I used it, but I think that went away. Or I got used to it. Either way, probably well over 1000 hours of driving with it and it still works fine. I don't know if yours will be set up permanently or will be put away when he's not using it, but if you have pets or a lot of dust try and keep the pedals covered when he's not using it. Stuff can get in and affect the pedals, but it's easy enough to unscrew it and get in to clean it. Nothing bad, just a bit annoying.

I don't know how well the G29 will work with the PS5 though. Playing GT7 on PS4 there's almost no feedback at all. It's an old wheel, but then if the feedback is quite weak that's probably good for someone young. The G923 is the follow-up model and it's a bit better (and cheaper than I remember it being as I check right now) but you can look for that in the future if he's still into it.

As for games, GT7 is probably the best in terms of scale and accessibility, but you'll need a PS+ subscription to get the best out of it. The online isn't dodgy or anything but there's regular content added to it and you can buy cars with real money, so it's worth keeping an eye on.

I've not played an actual F1 game in a long time but I don't really like open wheel cars with the G29. The rim's too big and I don't think you can change direction properly. But again this is probably more a me being a total sadcase looking for lap times.

Wreckfest as mentioned is a good shout. I didn't enjoy it much but kids will love it. Grid Legends is a good shout too as something a bit more arcadey but accessible. There's a new Test Drive Unlimited coming out next year if you remember that. The new EA WRC game seems to be getting cheap already and is good, if your boy can get into rallying, but that might be a bit much with the wheel and some of the detail.

I have a query and I think this thread is the best place for it. I currently own an Xbox Series S because I am a filthy casual who usually has an RPG I'm very slowly getting through, an indie and some sort of shooter I play every once in a while with a couple of mates who've moved far away to keep in touch. This is sufficient for the vast majority of my gaming. However, my favourite games I used to play were Total War type fellas, and my current laptop isn't good enough to play them. In getting a new laptop, as I'm studying part time I'm drawn to something which is lighter and perhaps a two in one over a more expensive and bulky gaming laptop. Budget and overall need isn't really there to get a desktop. My question is: 

Would it be stupid to get say a good two in one/detachable chromebook, and a ROG Ally for gaming? While obviously the games I mention above wouldn't be good on handheld I could port it to my WFH set-up and have a monitor, mouse and keyboard. I didn't think it would be powerful enough to play these games but reviews I've read suggest otherwise. Having a portable device to which I could link my Xbox account and use gamepass, Switch emulators etc with would be an added bonus. I could also purchase them from the US and ask my in-laws to bring them over when they visit in May, saving at my last check C.250-300 on the total amount, significantly less than any decent gaming laptop I can see. 

I have a list of games that caught my attention via trailers, some already out, some due for 2024 or later, some.... who knows. Release info so far in brackets. Anyone looking forward to any of these?

War of the Worlds (TBA, 2024)

Death Stranding 2 (2024 or 2025)

Pioner (TBA - 2024)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 Heart of Chornobyl (First quarter of 2024)

Neo Berlin 2033 (2024)

Titan Quest 2 (TBA - 2024??)

The Lost Wild (late 2024 or early 2025)

The Day Before (came out 7th Dec 2023)

Instinction (2025) (not sure if both Co-op and single player)

State of Decay 3 (2027)

Beyond Good and Evil 2 (who knows? the creative designer died this year. record breaking development time, was due for release in maybe back in 2007 or 2008?)

Trek to Yomi (2022, late to this one)

The Outer Worlds 2 (2026)

Crimson Desert (pushed back to 2026)

Nightingale (22nd Feb 2024)

Exekiller (2025)

I do like open world survival games that have role play. I don't have any dinosaur games and the two that caught my attention The Lost Wild and Instinction, I'm really looking forward to these two, see how they turn out.

Rumoured that Fallout 5 won't be out before 2030.

Edited by CityDave94

I was impressed with the trailer for The Day Before (why 'before', it isn't?) that's where impressive ends. I'm watching theRadBrad on youtube playing this and he wants a refund. 😆

Impressive city scape but that's it. Was this game released unfinished, it had been in the works since 2019? Reviews on steam absolutely tearing it a new one, many calling it a scam.

Has anyone bought Robux or bought them for their kids and had them disappear? 

Wee one plays Roblox and we bought her some. She spent a few before we went on holiday. When we came back she said a lot of them had disappeared. She's absolutely adamant it wasn't her and her before and after figures never change. Anyone experienced this? Trying to find out if hacking is a thing is a bit difficult to pin down on Google. 

15 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone bought Robux or bought them for their kids and had them disappear? 

Wee one plays Roblox and we bought her some. She spent a few before we went on holiday. When we came back she said a lot of them had disappeared. She's absolutely adamant it wasn't her and her before and after figures never change. Anyone experienced this? Trying to find out if hacking is a thing is a bit difficult to pin down on Google. 

Could she have maybe bought something thinking it was a one time thing, but it was a recurring payment

Haven't a clue about roblox though so could be miles off here