Old Firm Colts in L2

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Donald Findlays got two dugs in Arbroath?

Makes no sense mate.

Obviously he would've voted against it, the longer Sevco were in the lower leagues the more chances he had to watch his big team play at Central

We were in the championship at the time.

2 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Donald Findlays got two dugs in Arbroath?

Makes no sense mate.

Obviously he would've voted against it, the longer Sevco were in the lower leagues the more chances he had to watch his big team play at Central

Aye, they change ends at halftime and go for it when they hear the command "fish fingers"

If this went ahead it would mark the death of Scottish football. It would be finished. I certainly wouldn't be back till they are removed and the wanks at Hampden walk

I assume you mean Queens Park FC[emoji3]

But seriously, has anyone heard or seen the viewpoints from ourselves, who seem to be almost unanimously against it, mentioned in the press?

Why not reintroduce a reserve league if kids playing with or against seasoned pros is what we want. That way they would be playing against a far higher standard of opposition than they would in League 2.

Or why not have more young players sent out on loan to lower premier/top championship clubs or down south.

Both of these approaches are surely going to develop players better than fielding a team in L2.

This whole proposal is just blatant pandering to the old firm. Lapped up by idiots who think the utter shite spouted in the total rags they read is the way forward.

Celtic and rangers probably want a b-team in the SPFL so that if they eventually manage to land a move down south or to the Atlantic league they are still represented here too.

Nobody has yet explained how having top youth players playing against utter jobbers in League 2 is going to fast track them to the top. And the fact that rangers youth side only finished mid table in the youth league makes this even more laughable. Try competing there first before forcing this idea on us.

Why not reintroduce a reserve league if kids playing with or against seasoned pros is what we want. That way they would be playing against a far higher standard of opposition than they would in League 2.

Or why not have more young players sent out on loan to lower premier/top championship clubs or down south.

Both of these approaches are surely going to develop players better than fielding a team in L2.

This whole proposal is just blatant pandering to the old firm. Lapped up by idiots who think the utter shite spouted in the total rags they read is the way forward.

Celtic and rangers probably want a b-team in the SPFL so that if they eventually manage to land a move down south or to the Atlantic league they are still represented here too.

Nobody has yet explained how having top youth players playing against utter jobbers in League 2 is going to fast track them to the top. And the fact that rangers youth side only finished mid table in the youth league makes this even more laughable. Try competing there first before forcing this idea on us.

Well said

19 hours ago, Hedgesand Heartache said:

I put a quick article together about what I think needs to happen. Feel free to read/share/agree/disagree.

https://hedgesandheartache.wordpress.com/2016/12/19/colt-teams-time-for-action/

Hi there, Can I ask have you had anyone come back with direct feedback upon emailing/ speaking with their clubs? It's clear the vast majority of non Old Firm fans don't want this. 

I've emailed St Mirren and waiting on a response.  As a club chasing fan ownership, I feel they would very likely canvas members and would vote against it (hope this will be the same for Motherwell and Hearts)  I would cancel my membership and not renew my season ticket next season if they didn't 

Apparently the question was asked at our AGM and the club said they couldn't give an official response but Gordon Scott (our chairman) is personally not a fan of the idea. (Not had that confirmed however) 

A lot of people seem to forget that the development loans for players still allows them to play in their club's u20s games as well. They are getting plenty of opportunities to get experience in the lower leagues while still being allowed to apply what they've learned into u20's football while still playing under whatever values, structure, and formation their main club is encouraging. I think too many people neglect how good applying that was.

I think having a u20s is still the right way to go about it as I don't think a lot of clubs could afford to put out u18s AND reserve teams. Having the u20s is probably the right balance for this and, for me stops stock piling shit-loads of the players that probably won't make it. If anything, I'd argue having another year added on to u21s would be useful tweak. You could say that there would be too big a gap but I think challenging the younger players to step up, rather than keeping them in their comfort zones would be much more worth the risk, in spite of more kids getting their confidence knocked by getting scudded every week. That would more likely point to me if they can't step up early in u21s football, what chance would they have in first team exposure?

To me, ultimately the colts team malark is a paper over the cracks load of bollocks to hide how inept they are at bringing through youngsters for the size of clubs that they claim to be.

A lot of people seem to forget that the development loans for players still allows them to play in their club's u20s games as well. They are getting plenty of opportunities to get experience in the lower leagues while still being allowed to apply what they've learned into u20's football while still playing under whatever values, structure, and formation their main club is encouraging. I think too many people neglect how good applying that was.
I think having a u20s is still the right way to go about it as I don't think a lot of clubs could afford to put out u18s AND reserve teams. Having the u20s is probably the right balance for this and, for me stops stock piling shit-loads of the players that probably won't make it. If anything, I'd argue having another year added on to u21s would be useful tweak. You could say that there would be too big a gap but I think challenging the younger players to step up, rather than keeping them in their comfort zones would be much more worth the risk, in spite of more kids getting their confidence knocked by getting scudded every week. That would more likely point to me if they can't step up early in u21s football, what chance would they have in first team exposure?
To me, ultimately the colts team malark is a paper over the cracks load of bollocks to hide how inept they are at bringing through youngsters for the size of clubs that they claim to be.

You say this though, presume you're a hearts fan? Hearts have done well!!

Supposedly nearly 30 under 21 Scottish players playing in the premiership in one match week the last while too. Just how many do they expect to bring through here? Scottish clubs are giving youngsters more opportunities than ever due to having limited funds. One comes good they can make a fortune.

in Scottish football there is no competitive games until Under 20s level (league and cup) Not sure i agree with this, levels below that it's all about development and how they play without formal league formats.  It certainly has it's benefits but I still believe competition is healthy at all levels.  There should be formal Under 18s, 16s etc etc with trophies and league tables.  Cause and effect, I feel that would go someway to toughen up players as they get older and get them into a competitive mood early on.  they have league structures like that in Spanish, English, German and Italian leagues as well as most others.  

i suppose the kids do get that through school and boys club level but at club level would be good.  Imagine a few promising kids coming through playing together from a young age trying to better their achievements.  Can only be a good thing. 

13 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

You say this though, presume you're a hearts fan? Hearts have done well!!

Supposedly nearly 30 under 21 Scottish players playing in the premiership in one match week the last while too. Just how many do they expect to bring through here? Scottish clubs are giving youngsters more opportunities than ever due to having limited funds. One comes good they can make a fortune.

I think we've done very well. We have a fair few 15-16 year olds closing the gap from our adminstration lull, that we're very optimistic about making it.

Exactly. You see clubs like Motherwell and Hamilton who making great in-roads at it as well. I think we're too quick to talk ourselves down. Even the u17s and u19s at national level are starting to qualify in tournaments. The real trick, granted will be this crucial period of getting these players to transistion from 17s to the first team football but I still think we're doing it better than we have done in a long time. I think the media are too happy to say it's shit, because Celtic(who haven't been that bad) and Rangers who have not been good at bringing through enough young players. If the OF aren't doing it right, the whole of Scottish Football MUST be the same eh?

Edited by the jambo-rocker

Not surprised to see all the diddies are against this idea. Colt teams work in other Countries and its certainly worth giving it a try.

What is utterly ridiculous is that League 1 and League 2 clubs have almost a 50% say in what happens to Scottish Football as a whole.

If my understanding is correct the minimum votes to pass a special resolution would be as follows;

11 Premiership (>90%)

6 Championship (>75% of Prem/Cham)

15 League 1/ League 2 (>75% of ALL)

No special resolution can be passed if 11 of these 20 nothing clubs don't vote for it and in worst case scenario it would only take 6 of these 20 clubs to stop something from changing.

Get rid of most of these jobbers and go to a 32 team set up with 5 colt teams and we might start getting somewhere.

Not surprised to see all the diddies are against this idea. Colt teams work in other Countries and its certainly worth giving it a try.

What is utterly ridiculous is that League 1 and League 2 clubs have almost a 50% say in what happens to Scottish Football as a whole.

If my understanding is correct the minimum votes to pass a special resolution would be as follows;

11 Premiership (>90%)

No special resolution can be passed if 11 of these 20 nothing clubs don't vote for it and in worst case scenario it would only take 6 of these 20 clubs to stop something from changing.

Get rid of most of these jobbers and go to a 32 team set up with 5 colt teams and we might start getting somewhere.

Get fucked you c**t

Just because you've got more fans than the rest of the clubs put together doesn't mean you should be able to run the game

You've got most of they fans because you do run the game, get the most attention and success which leads to glory hunters from all over the country travelling to your middens

What evidence is there that these work? And why do you think 20 year olds playing in league 2 will help make them future internationals???????

4 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

11 Premiership (>90%)

Thickos gonna thick.