Old Firm Colts in L2

The discussion from said old firm fans supporting this idea just shows you how out of touch they are with the rest of Scottish football

So wit if we have b teams who is gonnae be bothered the 3 hunner ppl that watch Elgin lol

This is exactly what a few Old Firm fans have just said to me.

"About 3 people and a dug watch your games so who cares."

Scottish football isnt just the Old Firm and its about time they and the SFA realised that.

The discussion from said old firm fans supporting this idea just shows you how out of touch they are with the rest of Scottish football

So wit if we have b teams who is gonnae be bothered the 3 hunner ppl that watch Elgin lol

Pat 'Actually Retarded' Bonner and Derek 'Thick As f**k' Ferguson are all for it. Ferguson said it's a 'no brainer' which is ironic as that's a great description for him.

Hmm...

Take it this is on tonight's daily dose of fuckwittery from the BBC?

It was, albeit only briefly. They spoke some other shit about it as well, with Bonner throwing in a gem about how "they do it in Belgium".

Thats all ive heard off people in favour as well.

"They do it in Spain and Germany and theyre successful footballing nations."

Aye they are, but we're no and probably never will be. Also throwing the two arse cheeks development squads into League 2 is hardly going to create world class footballers. Idea is a load of shite and proof that the SFA/SPFL only give a f**k about the manky 2 of Glasgow.

Can somebody please explain how taking youngsters we hope will be our next generation of international players and having them play in league 2 will help anything?

To take a couple of current examples Liam Henderson and Callum McGregor. Henderson spent time on loan at Rosenborg winning a double and Hibs at the top of the championship and winning a cup. Now on fringes of Celtic first team and an U-21 international. McGregor went down south on loan to Notts County for a season and is now a squad regular at Celtic and on the fringes of international squads.

Does anybody seriously believe that the thing missing from these guys development was a season or 2 playing against Annan/Berwick etc in League 2?

Also any team that tries to play anything resembling football in this league is doomed. It's physicality and kick and rush all over the place. For a full team of youngsters to survive they would need to adapt and play in a way that's probably against all coaching principles for players we want to be developing for the international stage!

If we really wanted to improve the standard of our youth players in Scotland, we'd invest in producing more high quality coaches, invest in more indoor training facilities and put rules in place to stop the OF hoovering up all the best talents. And for the national team's development we'd encourage as many of our best players as possible to go abroad and learn a different style and a different culture.

There are many problems with youth development in this country and with the game as a whole. OF 'B' teams in league 2 doesn't address any of them.

I've said this on here before. I'm a school teacher who takes a football team throughout the year and I also take anything up to 50 kids abroad for a week at a Valencia or Real Madrid. In our one school there's a number of similar guys. Unpaid for the privilege, as are hundreds of parents, uncles etc.

I've not heard a single thing from the SFA. No offers of subsidised coaching courses, no advice, nothing. Literally the only contact is when they want a result for the schools cup.

I'm not trying to claim that I'd be a miracle worker but surely it'd be worth taking advantage of what is a group of people with a huge interest in football, who already have a teaching skillset. 

They are not interested in solutions. They are interested in headlines. And the football clubs of the SPFL should have nothing to do with them.

5 minutes ago, David W said:

I've said this on here before. I'm a school teacher who takes a football team throughout the year and I also take anything up to 50 kids abroad for a week at a Valencia or Real Madrid. In our one school there's a number of similar guys. Unpaid for the privilege, as are hundreds of parents, uncles etc.

I've not heard a single thing from the SFA. No offers of subsidised coaching courses, no advice, nothing. Literally the only contact is when they want a result for the schools cup.

I'm not trying to claim that I'd be a miracle worker but surely it'd be worth taking advantage of what is a group of people with a huge interest in football, who already have a teaching skillset. 

They are not interested in solutions. They are interested in headlines. And the football clubs of the SPFL should have nothing to do with them.

GTF.

No place for sensible suggestions here.  Can't you just rant about the SFA?

Edited by CowdenConvert

Following the idea receiving a critical reception from the East Kilbride chairman yesterday, the Turriff United chairman gives it both barrels today:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/highland-league-turriff-rangers-celtic/

EDIT: Cove Rangers manager attacks the proposal:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/highland-league-cove-rangers-celtic/

EDIT: East Kilbride manager "raging" at concept:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/east-kilbride-boss-raging-sfas-9494415

C0MH0f-XAAAliSf.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

Meanwhile the Daily Record has endorsed the plans and called for the SFA to force the proposals through for next season, with one article claiming they could be "endorsed" as early as next month. Whatever the rights and wrongs of it, democracy and process don't appear to be high on their columnists priority list, hoping as it does they: "Force our lower-league clubs to accept a few home truths... Mackay has to be able to tell dissenting clubs that, like it or not, it's happening".

One piece describes the complaints of lower league clubs as "the tail wagging the dog", concerns about the impact on the pyramid system as a "ludicrous suggestion", and blasts the quality levels of the Highland and Lowland leagues. Also suggests the playing standard in SPFL2 may not be sufficiently high for the OF 'B' teams. It goes on to suggest that Rangers and Celtic should have the ultimatum that if their 'B' teams aren't allowed into SPFL then they quit the Development League and establish their own pan-European U20s competition.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/malky-mackay-must-backed-pushing-9493304

Robbie Winters who had 2 brief spells with East Kilbride says there would be no benefit admitting OF 'B' teams to the Lowland League and they should be allowed to join at SPFL1 or SPFL2.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-colts-would-better-9487346

That last piece also quotes the LL chairman, who while not condemning it says that "the development opportunities for non-Colt teams can't be affected", and:

"As far as our own clubs would be concerned we would be ensuring they still had the opportunity to progress into the SPFL, which is the whole point of creating a pyramid. Anything that inhibited that would not be received favourably".

Edited by HibeeJibee

"Force our lower-league clubs to accept a few home truths... Mackay has to be able to tell dissenting clubs that, like it or not, it's happening".

This is exactly everything wrong with Scottish Football. The SFA only give a shit about the manky two.

If they want to improve Scottish football as a whole maybe they should start listening to other clubs fans instead of those bigoted freak shows that support the Old Firm.

The senior set up is for SENIOR clubs not glorified development squads.

f**k Malky Mackay the racist, sexist c**t.

In fairness, that's a newspaper columnists view, perhaps courting over-reaction.

So far I'm not sure anything has been heard directly from SFA or Mackay about it in terms of any timescale and if or how they'd try to go about it... So it may simply be newspaper talk (or hope) that they should force it through and ASAP. Daily Record has plenty previous for pushing their own agenda - look at when Rangers went bust.

Until there is something attributable to Mackay it's unclear where he stands, as in whether it's something he actually advocates or something he's been instructed to work at.