Namedropping thread

On 02/01/2019 at 16:17, ecto said:

Opens at Carnoustie, putting green used to be next to road in 1975, spent 10 minutes speaking to an older American man, was later told it was Arnold Palmer, in 1999 was again at the putting green watching Tiger Woods practice his putting, watched by his then coach Butch Harmon, as he was leaving I asked Tiger why he practiced his putting one-handed, he and Butch chatted to me for a couple minutes explaining the routine

Tiger was an absolute gent at that tournament. He chatted with people for ages outside the putting green on the first practise session.....according to those who waited. My mate and I missed it following Colin Montgomery on his round. Livid.

• 4 weeks later...

About 20 years ago, my mate's mum worked as the council's arts officer in Alloa. She organised a few gigs - beer festivals and the like. It was good, as my mate and I got to listen to the bands who sent in their tapes and give our opinions.

Anyway, she was organising some sort of charity event.  People paid money for tickets, silent auction, dinner and all that. She got us in for free, so long as we wore suits. There was talk of a free bar. So we went, and the MC was Fred Macauley. We sat through his awful stand-up routine (some Rangers/Celtic jokes that landed like a lead balloon in Alloa - might have worked better in Glasgow). And afterwards, we hit the free bar with the VIPs - and ended up talking to Fred himself. Nice guy actually. Kind of spoiled by the fact my mate's mum told him my nickname was Crispy, and he kept asking me why.

13 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

About 20 years ago, my mate's mum worked as the council's arts officer in Alloa. She organised a few gigs - beer festivals and the like. It was good, as my mate and I got to listen to the bands who sent in their tapes and give our opinions.

Anyway, she was organising some sort of charity event.  People paid money for tickets, silent auction, dinner and all that. She got us in for free, so long as we wore suits. There was talk of a free bar. So we went, and the MC was Fred Macauley. We sat through his awful stand-up routine (some Rangers/Celtic jokes that landed like a lead balloon in Alloa - might have worked better in Glasgow). And afterwards, we hit the free bar with the VIPs - and ended up talking to Fred himself. Nice guy actually. Kind of spoiled by the fact my mate's mum told him my nickname was Crispy, and he kept asking me why.

Why?

37 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

There was a guy at my school called Crusty as he used to come in his pants as soon as he started a slow dance with a girl, @scottsdad is probably the same.

There was a guy in our school known as touch 'n' go for similar reasons!

7 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I knew a boy growing up who was christened Davy Ten Da's because his parents split up and his mum remarried very quickly and he came to school after the summer holidays with a new last name.

There's always some poor sod at every school whose maw has seen more cocks than a Dundee piss hoose!

On 2/28/2019 at 13:56, welshbairn said:

There was a guy at my school called Crusty as he used to come in his pants as soon as he started a slow dance with a girl, @scottsdad is probably the same.

Similar: my mate's mum heard - from my mate - that my bedsheets were crispy and needed to be broken with a toffee hammer.

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...