Blast From The Past!

5 minutes ago, Heart of Northern said:

Sounds wrong but a "guider" in Edinburgh!

Big pram wheels at the back obviously. 

They big silver cross ones.

Right about the pram wheels and wrong about the name.  "guider"?  Really?

BTW you had to steer it with your feet.  This "maw's washing line" as a steering system was wrong.  I still have the scars to prove it...

Edited by The_Kincardine

3 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Right about the pram wheels and wrong about the name.  "guider"?  Really?

BTW you had to steer it with your feet.  This "maw's washing line" as a steering system was wrong.  I still have the scars to prove it...

Both feet on the front wheels to act as brakes ruining the shit out of yer good school shoes, by the way we used to attach a rope, not for steering but as leverage to dig those shoes into the front wheels so we could stop quicker. Sometimes the heat from the friction was almost unbearable.

Even funnier is watching them fall apart going downhill because they were badly made. :lol:

5 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

Flexi Discs, I've still got this one somewhere, it came free in the NME.

Flexi Discs were the tits. Seem to remember one of my comics getting pulled from the shelves because they included some naughty language on the B side of one.

I discovered a few Flexi DVDs at work a while back, which is something I'd never seen or heard of before, but led me to ask aloud "mind when all the magazines gave away a flexi disc record at one time or another?" Met with blank looks, because I'm apparently an old fart  :(

BSE / vCJD

I was reminded of this cheery subject last night when I randomly discovered that Canadians still can't give blood if they were resident in the UK during '95/96.

At the time, word on the playground was that burgers turned you mental and could make your brain explode. I also vividly remember the reek of toasted cow in the air when visiting family outside Dumfries.

Eta: along similar lines, the Aberdeen typhoid outbreak of '64. The Fray Bentos that killed off Willie Lows in town to the point that Aberdeen only got its first Tesco just a fears ago. Introduced the disposable paper handtowel to public toilets though (actual fact).

4 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

BSE

I was reminded of this cheery subject last night when I randomly discovered that Canadians still can't give blood if they were resident in the UK during '95/96.

At the time, word on the playground was that burgers turned you mental and could make your brain explode. I also vividly remember the reek of toasted cow in the air when visiting family outside Dumfries

Two cows in a field.  Which one has BSE?  The one that is on fire.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

Two cows in a field.  Which one has BSE?  The one that is on fire.

Two cows in a field discussing BSE. 

Cow 1: "There's a lot of this mad cow disease going about at the moment."

Cow 2: "Doesn't bother me. I'm a helicopter."

BSE / vCJD

Eta: along similar lines, the Aberdeen typhoid outbreak of '64. The Fray Bentos that killed off Willie Lows in town to the point that Aberdeen only got its first Tesco just a fears ago. Introduced the disposable paper handtowel to public toilets though (actual fact).

In Australia you can't give blood if you lived in UK for 6 months or more between 1980-1996, think New Zealand is the same.

The Summer Cup Final in 1964 between Aberdeen & Hibs was put back to early in the next season because of the typhoid outbreak.

36 minutes ago, Eednud said:

In Australia you can't give blood if you lived in UK for 6 months or more between 1980-1996, think New Zealand is the same.

The Summer Cup Final in 1964 between Aberdeen & Hibs was put back to early in the next season because of the typhoid outbreak.

Australians and their bloody rules!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equestrian_at_the_1956_Summer_Olympics

3 minutes ago, Slenderman said:

Cracking games. (Treasure Island was a personal favourite)

Off_TreasureIslandDizzy_Spectrum1.png

Codemaster in general did some cracking games, including my favourite, BMX Simulator. 

The best thing about them, though, was the covers of the tapes which contained descriptions such as "This is game is fantastic". All written by themselves. 

GrandPrixSimulator.jpg