Blast From The Past!

The car must have been from 1983/4 - though I don;t know when you bought it.
My first car was a B-Reg 1.3 Astra which I got as a company car when I joined Xerox as a graduate trainee in 1984.  When I joined I'd not passed my driving test and they gave me 12 weeks to do so or they'd sack me.
It was an 84 reg IIRC, I got it in February 92 after I passed my test. Got about 2 years out of it before it rusted to bits.

4 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

My first car was the 4 door version of that, a big, meaty 1.3!

I too had a 4 door nova 1.2 merit which meant it had a clock. Manual choke 4 speed and a diy installed sunroof.

It was shite but it was mine and I still have great memories of it. I would swap my current car for it  now in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Dele said:

Beautiful. 

Come On Reaction GIF

Beautiful. 

The Fiesta ended up in a field near St Andrews. Let the recovery guys keep in it lieu of payment. Lancia was stupid looking but it had luxuries like central locking and a Blaupunkt. 

Volkswagen%20Polo%20(1).jpg

1987 VW Polo.  This exact model, but in red.  ALLOYS! FOG LIGHTS! SUNROOF!

It also developed a leak from somewhere (the sunroof almost definitely, but I couldn't find the source) that meant the passenger footwell behind the drivers seat would fill up with water after heavy rain.  The first time you braked for anything it was like the tide coming in and you got wet feet.  I ended up drilling a hole in the floor to drain it off.

It also had a terrifying issue with the brakes where if you applied them with force for any length of time, eventually the brake pedal went slack (Kenneth!) and disappeared into the floor.  The only way to "reset" it was to take your foot off the brake and reapply.

We sorted out the men from the boys the day it did it on the M74 as I was hurtling towards stationary traffic at 70mph and I had to do it before I plowed into the back of a transit.

It had a stain on the drivers seat after that.

Absolutely adored that car.

Edited by KnightswoodBear

On 17/03/2020 at 07:46, L'immortale Par said:

In about 1983 my old man came home with his company car list. It was full of very boring options but at the bottom of the list was something a bit tastier. A 2.0S Capri (just like in pic below) Not the most practical family car (I had two older siblings).

7410FFC3-09F6-4953-AE29-CF8611555F24.jpeg

Good on your auld man - that's a cracking car and who cares about practicality, eh?  The best we ever had growing up was a Cortina.  But at least is was the 1600 version.

14 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good on your auld man - that's a cracking car and who cares about practicality, eh?  The best we ever had growing up was a Cortina.  But at least is was the 1600 version.

The Capri replaced a silver Cortina (must have been one of the last ones). I remember my arthritic old grandpa raging about getting folded into the back of the Capri.

Lost god knows how many days, weeks, months playing this. My dad even devised a league, with all the fixtures and a league table for me to update at the end of each round of games that i played out 1 by 1. Sometimes picked a team to play as if i had decided i wanted them to win. Use to play on the icy pitch and you would slide for ages. The best way to score was by a penalty or by crossing and the centre forward running on to header it into the bottom corner.