Blast From The Past!

27 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I once went to this children's party that my grandpa's company put on and the entertainment was a guy dressed up as the Hulk and Fran & Anna.

That's a very varied act, he must've been brilliant at the costume changes.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Used to love this, push the player's head & he kicked the baw

20200316_121435.jpg.3b63477216a028f2ad3fb81c236e2fee.jpg

Times were harder in my part of Dumbarton, I got this.

Players had a sprung loaded leg which you had to pull back and release to kick the ball. 

Pitch shown is actually flatter than it normally was (Or indeed Boghead at that time).  Though playing on carpet allowed you to perfect chip shots/cross field passes.

51Os2aET6gL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1974-chad-valley-big-league-football_360_3ce9bfed2bbfe6aa2a24c11d6a2ad073.jpg

bl4.jpg

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

This was the dogs bollocks of a game though, especially for taking up more than one room and getting in everybody's road in the house.

unnamed.jpg

I remember being obsessed with getting this - then absolutely raging when I opened the box to find a flat piece of plastic, cardboard "instrument panel", a stick and a bit of string, and the least accurate (shape AND colour scheme) F-4 I'd ever seen!* It wasn't even a game - one function which it performed (in my experience) pretty poorly and with little variation caused by human interaction.

*Yep, I was a bit of a rivet-counter even then...

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Times were harder in my part of Dumbarton, I got this.

Players had a sprung loaded leg which you had to pull back and release to kick the ball. 

Pitch shown is actually flatter than it normally was (Or indeed Boghead at that time).  Though playing on carpet allowed you to perfect chip shots/cross field passes.

51Os2aET6gL._SR600,315_PIWhiteStrip,BottomLeft,0,35_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

1974-chad-valley-big-league-football_360_3ce9bfed2bbfe6aa2a24c11d6a2ad073.jpg

bl4.jpg

I think I remember that game too, I never ever got into the likes of Subbuteo at all, this made me a bit of an outcast as my pals were all Subbuteo freaks.

I painted black & gold bands on my cousin's prized wee Real Madrid Subbuteo men.

He was fucking livid 😎

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I remember being obsessed with getting this - then absolutely raging when I opened the box to find a flat piece of plastic, cardboard "instrument panel", a stick and a bit of string, and the least accurate (shape AND colour scheme) F-4 I'd ever seen!* It wasn't even a game - one function which it performed (in my experience) pretty poorly and with little variation caused by human interaction.

*Yep, I was a bit of a rivet-counter even then...

Yeah , it was limited, but as my brother hadn't arrived yet, as an only child, it was summat that I could play on own.

The aforementioned Big League involved getting my Dad to play too, which made it a bit less frequently used.

When I was walking through the car park on my way into work this morning i realised that no fucker puts a roof rack on their motor these days. No childhood camping holiday was complete  with out yer da' carefully strapping a pile of luggage to the roof rack. They were also pretty handy for helping you locate your vehicle in a busy car park.

So here, for your personal enjoyment, is a montage of handsome roof racks.

RACK-500x500.jpg

800px-Morris_1300_MkII_Traveller_registe

DSC_8353.jpg

Edited by tongue_tied_danny

1 hour ago, L'immortale Par said:

This might be your cup of tea. Was reading about it earlier and admiring some dross like Marinas (not Aqua), Novas, Cortinas..

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/magazine/festival-of-the-unexceptional-2019/

938356C5-3E2D-4A30-9105-8DAE1B6B12E9.jpeg

Ah yes, my first car, a Nova 2 door saloon. Price then £150, price now £3k.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed-1.jpg

unnamed.jpg.991af52462c5b981f7e6dc18f7eaccb4.jpg
unnamed-1.jpg.9c787f96f367150a5794b391765421fd.jpg
My first car was a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 GLS Saloon, reg no B971 WYV. It was a strange mix of old and new technology. On the one hand it had alloy wheels, central locking and electric windows (only in the front though), on the other hand it had a manual choke and a manual slide and tilt sunroof, which took ages to open and close.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

My first car was a Vauxhall Cavalier 1.6 GLS Saloon, reg no B971 WYV. It was a strange mix of old and new technology. On the one hand it had alloy wheels, central locking and electric windows (only in the front though), on the other hand it had a manual choke and a manual slide and tilt sunroof, which took ages to open and close.

The car must have been from 1983/4 - though I don;t know when you bought it.

My first car was a B-Reg 1.3 Astra which I got as a company car when I joined Xerox as a graduate trainee in 1984.  When I joined I'd not passed my driving test and they gave me 12 weeks to do so or they'd sack me.

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

The car must have been from 1983/4 - though I don;t know when you bought it.

My first car was a B-Reg 1.3 Astra which I got as a company car when I joined Xerox as a graduate trainee in 1984.  When I joined I'd not passed my driving test and they gave me 12 weeks to do so or they'd sack me.

In about 1983 my old man came home with his company car list. It was full of very boring options but at the bottom of the list was something a bit tastier. A 2.0S Capri (just like in pic below) Not the most practical family car (I had two older siblings).

7410FFC3-09F6-4953-AE29-CF8611555F24.jpeg