Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

I think we should listen to the lad whose world view has been comprehensively seen off for about a decade now. The left is crying out for sage advice such as “read the polls”, “talk to people in a shitty tone”, and “pray for a harsh winter to turn more people to your worldview”.

The left probably isn't interested in what Blairites have to say, but what's different this time around is that the Lib Dems are resurgent because the Tories and Labour have veered off to ideological extremes and away from most Remain voters and the baggage from their coalition years has worn off. That means Corbyn's window of opportunity may well have closed, because Labour usually needs centrist voters on board to be able to win a Westminster majority.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The left probably isn't interested in what Blairites have to say, but what's different this time around is that the Lib Dems are resurgent because the Tories and Labour have veered off to ideological extremes and away from most Remain voters and the baggage from their coalition years has worn off. That means Corbyn's window of opportunity may well have closed, because Labour usually needs centrist voters on board to be able to win a Westminster majority.

The Lib Dem’s are only resurgent because Labour, and in particular Corbyn himself, has made such a mess of Brexit.  If Corbyn had come out earlier on and enthusiastically backed Remain and/or a second referendum then Labour would be ahead in the polls despite all the accusations of ‘Marxism’.

It’s one of the worst examples of missing an open political goal.

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The Lib Dems have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory, or at least taking advantage of the best conditions for them in a generation, by choosing a truly awful leader.

5 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

49% from a Times poll ain’t shabby 

It’s maybe a Times commissioned poll but if it was carried out by a reputable polling organisation (which I think it will be) then 49% is not encouraging.  I agree with @pawpar, what else needs to happen before people start supporting Independence?

Just now, Granny Danger said:

It’s maybe a Times commissioned poll but if it was carried out by a reputable polling organisation (which I think it will be) then 49% is not encouraging.  I agree with @pawpar, what else needs to happen before people start supporting Independence?

Depends on whether they included 16-18 year olds and EU citizens. Don't know yet.

16 minutes ago, the snudge said:

49% is a great starting point pre indy ref campaigning

I note that the corresponding figure for No isn't mentioned.

If the "Don't Know's" havent been stripped out, then there's likely to de a majority for Indy.

On another note, hot off the press

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/yougov-poll-puts-labour-behind-lib-dems-in-holyrood-frvgdtpsq

Holyrood Prediction - Times poll

SNP 64 seats (1 short of majority)

Greens 10

Indy Majority 19

Labour in 4th, behind Lib-Dems, Tories lose 6 seats