Polling: 2017 General Election, Council Elections and Independence

7 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Funnily enough she was along our road yesterday with a coterie of young canvassers who were presumably again students parachuted in as you can only contact our local Labour branch via ouija board.

It pissed me off when Labour bussed in students from England to my constituency in 2011. It just highlighted that they'd atrophied so badly in Scotland that they couldn't fight their own elections any more. 

1 hour ago, Lex said:

The (un?)fortunate reality is that this election will change absolutely nothing. The majority of Scots will vote for pro union parties, like they always have.

Like they always have, except for 2011, 2015 and 2016?

They will still blame everything on the big bad Tories and talk about referendums without actually calling one, like they have since 2016.

Ah, so to have a referendum on independence, all you have to do is call one? You don't need to pass laws that survive challenge at the Supreme Court or anything?

I wonder why they didn't think of that!

20 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Interesting political fact (well, to me anyway)... the last time the Tories won a majority of Scottish constituencies in a general election was on 26 May 1955.  

Another interesting fact is that Scots weren't voting for the Conservative party then. The Scottish Unionists took 30 seats and the National Liberals won 6.  Both parties then took the Tory whip at Westminster. 

Also the union that from their name the Scottish Unionists were trying to preserve was the union with Ireland.

11 hours ago, Lex said:

The (un?)fortunate reality is that this election will change absolutely nothing. The majority of Scots will vote for pro union parties, like they always have.
Regardless, there will still be a pro Indy majority led by the SNP, like there has been since 2016 - maybe even an SNP majority? Won’t really matter either way.
They will still run the country with ridiculous levels of sleaze and incompetence, like they have since 2016.
They will still blame everything on the big bad Tories and talk about referendums without actually calling one, like they have since 2016.
And then what? Rinse and repeat in 2026.

You got me interested  there  so I checked and found there wasn't that much of a difference in votes between the SNP and the tories, lab and the LD's in 2016.

Total Votes Cast - SNP - 1,059,898   T/L/LD - 1,194,343  That is not much of a difference when you consider that the three main Pro Union parties combined only had 134,455 more than the single party the SNP.

23 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

Interesting political fact (well, to me anyway)... the last time the Tories won a majority of Scottish constituencies in a general election was on 26 May 1955.  That means that by the end of this month a man born on that date in Scotland will have lived his life until state retirement age without Scottish voters having voted for a Tory Government at Westminster.  

The Tories/Conservative Party have never won a majority of seats in Scotland. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unionist_Party_(Scotland)

Needless to say that 'Union' being referred to was Ireland and the UK, such being the tinpot, wee man nature of Scottish Protestantism mixed with Ulster Orangeism. 

16 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

You got me interested  there  so I checked and found there wasn't that much of a difference in votes between the SNP and the tories, lab and the LD's in 2016.

Total Votes Cast - SNP - 1,059,898   T/L/LD - 1,194,343  That is not much of a difference when you consider that the three main Pro Union parties combined only had 134,455 more than the single party the SNP.

If we are looking at the collected regional list votes of the pro-union parties, isn't it fair to add the Greens'150,426 to the pro-indy total? 

Edited by Salt n Vinegar

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The Tories/Conservative Party have never won a majority of seats in Scotland. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unionist_Party_(Scotland)

Needless to say that 'Union' being referred to was Ireland and the UK, such being the tinpot, wee man nature of Scottish Protestantism mixed with Ulster Orangeism. 

So rather than the 66 years I was describing, the Tories situation is worse?  It makes the political differences even more stark. 

I don’t want to forum police but Lex literally never replies when it’s inconvenient. Just reply to the unionists like Stormzy or Kincardine (if he comes back) at least you get a back and forth.

I would like to see governments legislate against the taking of political opinion polls. My reason is that people are more likely to feel that their vote matters in situations when the outcome of an election is genuinely unknown, and so more of the electorate will turn out to vote when there are no polls telling them what is likely to happen. That seems to be a more democratic situation than the status quo.

9 minutes ago, theboke said:

I would like to see governments legislate against the taking of political opinion polls. My reason is that people are more likely to feel that their vote matters in situations when the outcome of an election is genuinely unknown, and so more of the electorate will turn out to vote when there are no polls telling them what is likely to happen. That seems to be a more democratic situation than the status quo.

it really would be peak Britain to legislate against opinion polling to make people feel like their vote matters, rather than changing the voting system so that their vote actually matters.

Just now, Gordon EF said:

it really would be peak Britain to legislate against opinion polling to make people feel like their vote matters, rather than changing the voting system so that their vote actually matters.

Aye... can you imagine the utter bolox that would be spouted by folk like the Gorgeous George party? "all our research indicates that voters are turning to us by the hundreds of thousands"!  Aye, right.  Ye cannae dae that with a plethora of polling companies providing something at least approaching scientific methods. 

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don’t want to forum police but Lex literally never replies when it’s inconvenient. Just reply to the unionists like Stormzy or Kincardine (if he comes back) at least you get a back and forth.

Agree, he's just a wee gobshite TBH, and he only sings when he's winning. 

Don't mind Stormzy (even if he's red dotting me all the time for some resaon) or Kincardine who can be funny. 

And yes, let's do away with Nate Silver! 100%

Agree, he's just a wee gobshite TBH, and he only sings when he's winning. 
Don't mind Stormzy (even if he's red dotting me all the time for some resaon) or Kincardine who can be funny. 
And yes, let's do away with Nate Silver! 100%
Yup. Defo. I'm genuinely a wee bit concerned for@The_Kincardine ..hes not been around. I sent him a pm couple months ago. Hopefully he's OK. Don't mind@Stormzy either. He at least fights his corner.

Yup. Defo. I'm genuinely a wee bit concerned for[mention=44711]The_Kincardine[/mention] ..hes not been around. I sent him a pm couple months ago. Hopefully he's OK. Don't mind[mention=58552]Stormzy[/mention] either. He at least fights his corner.
Kincy will be fine. He'll have got bored posting the exact same borderline racist clichés night after night and being thoroughly rinsed.