New clubs in the East of Scotland

5 hours ago, stanley said:

Assuming there is a maximum of 16 clubs in each conference, that would mean (depending on promotions/relegations) there would be space for 8 or 9 clubs.  Thornton and Kirkcaldy have already applied so another 6 or 7 applications would push it over the 16/16 limit for two conferences and push it to three conferences.  Or perhaps they would do three conferences of 10+ clubs.  Already have 25/26 clubs with Thornton and Kirkcaldy and seems very likely there will be a few more joining.  

I wonder if there will be any regional element to it this time.  Otherwise it just seems a bit pointless.

They could go for 18 team conferences if they want to. That would be a 34 game season, as they are doing now.

If there are 12 new EOS teams or fewer there should be two conferences not three. 18 team divisions would give 34 games, the same as next season. 

Under NO circumstances should the conferences be regionalised. If teams don't want to travel stick to the juniors. 

Ps, I wonder which teams didn't vote? Only 39 out of 40 cast for the first question and 38 for the second. Given that the margin was only two votes in favour of the 21/22 season those two missing clubs may have made a difference. 

Unsurprising that most clubs wanted to establish a Second Division, and not outlandish that the majority favoured it commencing at the end of next season. There are arguments for and against that - and some clubs would have a direct interest at stake, for next season or the longer-term.

Not mentioned here so far is that for those clubs who didn't want a Second Division at all - they at least have the consolation of a full season to try and avoid landing-up in it.

I don't think there is any danger of the First Division not being competitive. Last season there were 3 conferences not 2 - with only 1 promotion place to LL and a target of top 5s to get into new Premier Division - but it was exceedingly competitive, despite having a wider quality gap. As it stands you'd have 3 promotion places and a target of top 8s (or maybe tops 9s?) to get into new First Division (depending on its size?), presuming at least a few new clubs join allowing a full-size Second Division. You'd still expect the best 3 clubs to go up to Premier - in similar manner to this season.

5 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Sadly so.

The vote was overwhelmingly in favour of First and Second, but narrowly in favour of 2021-22 and not next season.

Disappointing as only 1 guaranteed promotion spot per Conference next season, makes it that bit harder to attract sponsors and players.

Just need to try and stay up.

Least its confirmed 3 go down.

Did I read somewhere there might have been a 4th team relegated this season ?

7 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

If there are 12 new EOS teams or fewer there should be two conferences not three. 18 team divisions would give 34 games, the same as next season. 

Under NO circumstances should the conferences be regionalised. If teams don't want to travel stick to the juniors. 

Ps, I wonder which teams didn't vote? Only 39 out of 40 cast for the first question and 38 for the second. Given that the margin was only two votes in favour of the 21/22 season those two missing clubs may have made a difference. 

Were Craigroyston present , and if they were, perhaps they didn't vote ?

6 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

Not entirely sure Stirling University EOS get a vote.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/13543747.east-17-deny-selkirk-a-slot/

In the breakdown of Selkirk applying to enter a reserve side it is mentioned that the vote went 7-7 with no casting vote allowed by the Chair. At the time the EoS had 17 teams in it. 15 clubs plus Stirling University EoS and Spartans EoS.

So if the first vote went 39 out of 40 its possible that Stirling Uni weren't allowed to vote. Then the second vote which has been called very slim Stirling & the Chair were not allowed to vote. Maybe, i'm guessing here.

20 minutes ago, newcastle broon said:

If the Premier Division would otherwise end-up on 17 teams.

For that to happen you need scenarios where (for example) HL champion go up and southerly club drops-out of SPFL2 and 2 easterly clubs drop-out of LL... and/or SOSL champion go up and 1 easterly club drops-out of LL.

Equally, the opposite imbalance happening with either could cancel the other out.

Obviously it would be wrong to "write-off" the chances of that entirely. However if you go look at the current standings at foot of SPFL2 and at foot of LL... and if you think over who you see as stronger between (say) Kelty or Bonnyrigg and their potential playoff rivals - or between (say) Threave and Bo'ness... I suspect you wouldn't see it as likely. Indeed EOSL-SOSL playoff in 2017-18 finished Kelty Hearts 10-0 Threave Rovers...

In any case we currently find Brechin sat bottom of SPFL2 and Dalbeattie sat 2nd-bottom of LL... plus if you asked people for predictions many would say that Brora or Fraserburgh won't be favourites to win promotion into SPFL2, and Threave won't be favourites to win promotion into LL (if indeed they win SOSL at all).

Edited by HibeeJibee

53 minutes ago, GordonS said:

This has to increase the chances of Juniors making the switch, giving them as it does a home at tier 7, but the possibility they would have to limp in at tier 9 if they miss this opportunity.

This time three years ago Kelty were on their way to a second East Region Superleague title in an SJFA region of (IIRC) 61 clubs, while the East of Scotland League had 11 members after Duns withdrew.

At the start of next season Kelty could be playing in League 2, while the East of Scotland League could have consumed pretty much the entire ERSJFA south of the Tay and precipitated the end of Junior football as a major grade in Scotland.

Nobody saw that coming.

Could there be a 9th tier in 21/22 if enough teams join? 

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Not entirely sure Stirling University EOS get a vote.

https://www.bordertelegraph.com/sport/13543747.east-17-deny-selkirk-a-slot/

In the breakdown of Selkirk applying to enter a reserve side it is mentioned that the vote went 7-7 with no casting vote allowed by the Chair. At the time the EoS had 17 teams in it. 15 clubs plus Stirling University EoS and Spartans EoS.

So if the first vote went 39 out of 40 its possible that Stirling Uni weren't allowed to vote. Then the second vote which has been called very slim Stirling & the Chair were not allowed to vote. Maybe, i'm guessing here.

It’s been suggested in the past that Stirling don’t really care about the EoS side from an off-field point of view. Often no committee at games etc I suspect it’s more a case of not caring what league their reserves are in than not getting a vote.

That’s a good point, if Brechin manage to get the boundary moved last minute could it relegate someone like Whitehill or Blackburn who would otherwise survive in 4th bottom?

I fully agreed with Bonnyrigg going up (sadly at the expense of WW) as there were exceptional circumstances there, but it would be pretty shit if 4th bottom were relegated last second because Brechin don’t fancy a trip to Wick.

9 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

That’s a good point, if Brechin manage to get the boundary moved last minute could it relegate someone like Whitehill or Blackburn who would otherwise survive in 4th bottom?

I fully agreed with Bonnyrigg going up (sadly at the expense of WW) as there were exceptional circumstances there, but it would be pretty shit if 4th bottom were relegated last second because Brechin don’t fancy a trip to Wick.

That would only happen if boness lost to threave in the playoffs 

6 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Rather than being "accommodating", aren't clubs just voting to know what they're playing for at the start of a season of conferences? Seems daft to have a vote like this mid season when so much football has been played.

I think there’s too much politics happening at this stage in the season to change again for next season. 
Are there going to be too many teams in the lower half of the conferences who’ll be thinking ‘aye being 2nd division next year sounds nice’ 

at least this way they go into next season a fair idea of what will be good enough to be first division in 21/22

Edited by parsforlife

11 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Or highland championship winning playoffs

Rather than being "accommodating", aren't clubs just voting to know what they're playing for at the start of a season of conferences? Seems daft to have a vote like this mid season when so much football has been played.
We thought we were playing for this already, like we did last season and have done since the start of the season. I don't think that's a reason at all, not a valid one anyway.

2 hours ago, lowenan said:

Could there be a 9th tier in 21/22 if enough teams join? 

Sure. There are 40 clubs now, they could go 16-16-16 with the addition of 8 clubs. Eyemouth will hopefully coming back, Kirkcaldy YM are joining, and there are about 20-21 other eligible clubs currently in the ERSJFA. It wouldn't take many more joining before a ninth tier could happen. They may regionalise tier 8, of course.