Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

8 hours ago, GTee said:

Maybe No voters on here could say why they are No voters?

Don't recognise Scotland is a country in its own right. 

Prefer to be governed by a larger neighbouring country.

Didn't like Salmond.

Didn't like Sturgeon.

Other reasons.

?

Simple.

Scotland is part of the UK.

I am British first, Scottish second.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

That seems a reasonable enough explanation to me.

I support independence but I have serious concerns for an independent Scotland if the current MSPs were involved in running it. 

This is kind of where I am on it. I'm not really a fan of Holyrood being run as a branch office of any of the UK parties; by default therefore, of the remaining options available, I should probably be an SNP supporter. The problem I've got with them however is it seems to me that the major projects they have tried to undertake they seem to be able to consistently make an utter cack of it; at that point I conclude that at least we've got the safety net of being welded to a neighbour 80% bigger (and therefore more resilient) than us.

If they could somehow prove they were competent at running a bath that would go a long way to winning over the unconvinced (like me) that there's half a chance of having a viable administration in place.

30 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

This is kind of where I am on it. I'm not really a fan of Holyrood being run as a branch office of any of the UK parties; by default therefore, of the remaining options available, I should probably be an SNP supporter. The problem I've got with them however is it seems to me that the major projects they have tried to undertake they seem to be able to consistently make an utter cack of it; at that point I conclude that at least we've got the safety net of being welded to a neighbour 80% bigger (and therefore more resilient) than us.

If they could somehow prove they were competent at running a bath that would go a long way to winning over the unconvinced (like me) that there's half a chance of having a viable administration in place.

I don't think the SNP could do anything to convince people like you. It's just not your thing. Pretending is just pretending.

44 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Whereas the Tories and Labour fill you with so much confidence in Brexit Britain that you need no convincing of Scotland’s future as a voiceless region of it…?

I support Independence but;

- I don't like Irn Bru

- Ditto Bovril (it was a Scotsman that invented it, btw)

- I hate Hogmanay/New Year

- I prefer Shakespeare to Burns in the Bardic Battle

- i tend to roll my eyes when I see written Gaelic or Scots

I suspect I may not be allowed a passport if Independence is ever achieved.

15 minutes ago, KirkieRR said:

I support Independence but;

- I don't like Irn Bru

- Ditto Bovril (it was a Scotsman that invented it, btw)

- I hate Hogmanay/New Year

- I prefer Shakespeare to Burns in the Bardic Battle

- i tend to roll my eyes when I see written Gaelic or Scots

I suspect I may not be allowed a passport if Independence is ever achieved.

Apart from ‘support independence’ I can agree with your other points. I might just take Irn Bru if there is no alternative but you are spot on otherwise

I'm comfortably into my 40s and the number of competent politicians I've witnessed in my lifetime, let alone competent ministers, is relatively few.

The benefits/ opportunity of independence would be enabling Scottish voters to give them their jotters if they are not acting in the best interests of Scotland. Something that we cant and don't currently do just now.

Westminster we have no power over so cant, and Holyrood we don't as it is elected pretty much based on the nations view on independence. SNP have not been judged on how they govern otherwise they probably would've been turfed out by now. 

The fact that it looks as though we will be continuing this charade for the short to medium term is, frankly, depressing! 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

That might be a sound argument if it weren't for literally every UK public project being an utter bin fire of budgetary over runs, PFI scandals and poorly designed and managed projects.

Or indeed any WM policy, none of which seem to have actually increased the well being of anyone on these benighted islands for getting close to 2 decades.

Edited by renton

1 minute ago, renton said:

That might be a sound argument if it weren't for literally every UK public project being an utter bonfire of budgetary over runs, PFI scandals and poorly design and run projects.

Or indeed any WM policy, none of which seem to have actually increased the well being of anyone on these benighted islands for getting close to 2 decades.

A9E7A672-3BB7-4BC0-A8DB-C3480A8BDB74.webp