Oor Nicola Sturgeon thread.

Pearbuyerbell

3 minutes ago, sfha said:

TBH apologising for witch hunts up to around 400 years ago is a bit much.

At a time when QAnon is getting political support, I don't see the harm in reminding people of the dangers of mass hysteria.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

At a time when QAnon is getting political support, I don't see the harm of reminding people of the dangers of mass hysteria.

I don't  know if this Qanon thing (I had to look this up) was her forefront, but  "State" apologies for things that happened over 300 years ago is somewhat overkill don't you think? Politics isn't really my thing as it bores me. I'm jaded after 50 odd years and I cannot believe a word any politician says but some stories catch my attention due to their abject silliness.

4 minutes ago, sfha said:

I don't  know if this Qanon thing (I had to look this up) was her forefront, but  "State" apologies for things that happened over 300 years ago is somewhat overkill don't you think? Politics isn't really my thing as it bores me. I'm jaded after 50 odd years and I cannot believe a word any politician says but some stories catch my attention due to their abject silliness.

The last witch burning was just up the road from me in Dornoch so maybe it connects more. 300 years is only a handful of lifetimes away.

Just now, sfha said:

A pretty tenuous argument don't you think?

Horne and her daughter were arrested in Dornoch in Sutherland and imprisoned on the accusations of her neighbours. Horne was showing signs of senility, and her daughter had a deformity of her hands and feet. The neighbours accused Horne of having used her daughter as a pony to ride to the Devil, where she had her shod by him. The trial was conducted very quickly; the sheriff had judged both guilty and sentenced them to be burned at the stake. The daughter managed to escape, but Janet was stripped, smeared with tar, paraded through the town on a barrel and burned alive. Nine years after her death the witchcraft acts were repealed in Scotland.

37 minutes ago, sfha said:

I'm not belittling this, the 17thC witchcraft trials WERE horrific but a 20th C politician using it to win political points...

How is she winning political points? Douglas Ross might have given Gypsies a hard time, but I don't think he's ever been accused of burning witches.

10 hours ago, sfha said:

When are we going to get an apology from the Italians for the Romans all those years ago?

Or from the Vikings?

Complete nonsense.

2 hours ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

When are we going to get an apology from the Italians for the Romans all those years ago?

Or from the Vikings?

Complete nonsense.

Anything to say on the way Alan Turing was treated and his posthumous royal pardon?

Acknowledgment of slavery abhorrent practices?

Don't you think it is important?

You may be willful or uninformed to ignore that this is really all about the serious issue of misogyny in Scotland today and timed to be coincidental with the report from Baroness Kennedy on this subject.

Don't you think it is good to make some civilised progress?

39 minutes ago, sophia said:

Anything to say on the way Alan Turing was treated and his posthumous royal pardon?

Acknowledgment of slavery abhorrent practices?

Don't you think it is important?

You may be willful or uninformed to ignore that this is really all about the serious issue of misogyny in Scotland today and timed to be coincidental with the report from Baroness Kennedy on this subject.

Don't you think it is good to make some civilised progress?

All the things you mention happened in completely different times and were a product of the way we thought then.

Times have changed and that’s great.

No doubt things will change again in ten, twenty, however many years and people will look back on us as being unenlightened.

Thats the whole point of learning history. We can understand the things that happened under the social and economic norms that pertained at the time and we progress or regress accordingly.

However, casting judgements on our ancestors who operated under a totally different landscape seems all a bit pointless. I reckon it’s better to look at what occurred down through the centuries, learn from it and try to create a better world.

7 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

I reckon it’s better to look at what occurred down through the centuries, learn from it and try to create a better world.

Would this better world include utter losers and their equally dreadful partners who quite literally hate seeing women on TV talking about football? 

9 minutes ago, Dawson Park Boy said:

All the things you mention happened in completely different times and were a product of the way we thought then.

Times have changed and that’s great.

No doubt things will change again in ten, twenty, however many years and people will look back on us as being unenlightened.

Thats the whole point of learning history. We can understand the things that happened under the social and economic norms that pertained at the time and we progress or regress accordingly.

However, casting judgements on our ancestors who operated under a totally different landscape seems all a bit pointless. I reckon it’s better to look at what occurred down through the centuries, learn from it and try to create a better world.

You missed off your final paragraph addressing misogyny in Scotland in 2022.

You're welcome to either edit your post or further reply on this subject.... 

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

That's far too competent a job for SpongePhil SquareYerBoots to have made it.

Correct. According to the "Scottish" Daily Express, it was Dougie Donnelly that first posted it.

Typical to see a BBC journalist displaying their usual unbiased view of anything to do with the SNP.