CLYDE FC Season 2017-18 Thread

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, athletic 1 said:

Obsessed.... maybe not, but certainly find it amusing like most.

What's amusing ? That we got beat away to Berwick ? did you's win your first game of the season ? will you win on Saturday ? No.

or you just jealous that your players and management staff would rather be with us 

He said he is still working on additions but most likely loan deals.

Very honest and open about where the team needs worked on.

Absolutely ripped apart the Colts idea too when it came up. Was a magnificent put down rant.

I didn't go expecting to find out too much, and that's how it panned out. Nice to hear from the new manager but a couple of months, with only 5 competitive games, isn't really much of a basis on which to ask many questions. He's a confident guy, answered questions well even if some of the football stuff he was saying was a bit confusing for some. Stuff like how sometimes Goodwillie will seem isolated, as we're wanting him to get more space.

Much of the questioning seemed to end up being about youth players, and pathways to the first team. The "U20s", both new and from last season, are a clear part of the first team squad, and over the coming weeks he'll look to loan/release some of those guys. He doesn't see any value in the club having a youth set-up below U18 level (something I agree with completely), rather we should look to get players released from the top sides at that stage.

Talked about developing players a lot. Says that some players have regressed (Breslin, Flynn) but they'll get back to where they should be. Would like two Nicolls, but was keen to highlight the value of a mobile, interchangeable midfield, rather than having a fairly static "ball-winner". 

David Crawford is in helping as goalie coach. The other guy they had briefly wasn't liked by Currie. They've still not got anyone in to take the U20 side, but they've got ideas.

He's on the lookout for players, especially in a couple of positions (defence particularly). We're waiting to get people better than what we have, and will probably rely on a couple of loanees. He did say that a couple of players that he talked to mentioned our support as a reason for not signing.

Didn't take notes so may have missed something but that's the gist. I get the feeling he knows a lot about football but is capable of keeping things simple.

I didn't go expecting to find out too much, and that's how it panned out. Nice to hear from the new manager but a couple of months, with only 5 competitive games, isn't really much of a basis on which to ask many questions. He's a confident guy, answered questions well even if some of the football stuff he was saying was a bit confusing for some. Stuff like how sometimes Goodwillie will seem isolated, as we're wanting him to get more space.
Much of the questioning seemed to end up being about youth players, and pathways to the first team. The "U20s", both new and from last season, are a clear part of the first team squad, and over the coming weeks he'll look to loan/release some of those guys. He doesn't see any value in the club having a youth set-up below U18 level (something I agree with completely), rather we should look to get players released from the top sides at that stage.
Talked about developing players a lot. Says that some players have regressed (Breslin, Flynn) but they'll get back to where they should be. Would like two Nicolls, but was keen to highlight the value of a mobile, interchangeable midfield, rather than having a fairly static "ball-winner". 
David Crawford is in helping as goalie coach. The other guy they had briefly wasn't liked by Currie. They've still not got anyone in to take the U20 side, but they've got ideas.
He's on the lookout for players, especially in a couple of positions (defence particularly). We're waiting to get people better than what we have, and will probably rely on a couple of loanees. He did say that a couple of players that he talked to mentioned our support as a reason for not signing.
Didn't take notes so may have missed something but that's the gist. I get the feeling he knows a lot about football but is capable of keeping things simple.

Couldn't make it the meeting
cheers David as ever comprehensive [emoji106]

How about you and Sao Paulo take the under 20's the dream team [emoji6]

17 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Are our support any different from any other teams?

On balance I would say yes. On our travels I'm not aware of the same levels of vitriol being aimed at their own players by the home fans. 

9 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Its maybe more likely the abuse some fans give our own players that's the issue?

That was my take on it.

I would've expected more abuse of some of our players given the level of underachievement by many of them in the last few seasons. It's only to be expected.

On the other hand, the away support are vociferous in their support of the team.

Perhaps you can't have one without the other

Sounds as if the meeting with manager went well guys I spoke to thought it a positive meeting so let's hope he can bring some success to the club
As for his remarks if players not coming to the club because of fans wouldn't get to hung up about that and i heard he qualified it by saying he basically wouldn't want if that's their mindset As for some trying to make capital out of this go ask Connor Quinn , Gourlay , Waddell their view of Clyde fans bet they wound recommend any young player come to Clyde.
A win on Saturday will get us back on track and as was indicated if we can get a couple of good loan signings ( defenders) and stop leaking goal we will score the other end

Only concern knowing Chapman not a fan of pro youth (as he shut down Annans) and to be honest I'm not the biggest fan but surely a club like Clyde is the kinda club that needs a youth set up as we have no budget to bring in experienced players and to take the cast offs from other youth set ups says to me if their not good enough for them what makes them good enough for us.
A well run youth system could pay dividends for a club like ours in the long run!!!

Only concern knowing Chapman not a fan of pro youth (as he shut down Annans) and to be honest I'm not the biggest fan but surely a club like Clyde is the kinda club that needs a youth set up as we have no budget to bring in experienced players and to take the cast offs from other youth set ups says to me if their not good enough for them what makes them good enough for us.

A well run youth system could pay dividends for a club like ours in the long run!!!

The problem would be that any exceptional youth we develop will be cherry picked by Premier or championship teams.

Why waste value resources when you'll see little of the benefit?

Picking up players that fail to make premiership or championship grade may mean cheap and decent players for ourselves in the second division.

You can also hope that you unearth a hidden gem that can perhaps be sold at a profit.

Archived