The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Doidge had a pretty decent goalscoring record between 2016-19 with Forest Green Rovers at National League / League Two level

Great first season with Hibs in 19/20, tailed off a bit in 20/21 and not very good at all in the last 2 seasons.

At almost age 31, I’d say it’s unlikely he’ll recover his goalscoring form.

However, I do remember John Sutton having a purple patch after he rejoined Motherwell at a similar age after an unsuccessful spell in Edinburgh. He too was the type of player who attracts the boo boys.

I trust Stephen Robinson so what will be will be 

I’d imagine Doidge, if we are interested, is being viewed as a backup given Madron has the 9 shirt.

Not an exciting signing, but with Ayunga injured a wee bit of experience on the bench wouldn’t be a bad thing.

Doidge had a really good start at Hibs and at the time he was surplus to requirements I was slightly surprised.

Since that moment I haven't really seen a return of form that would suggest we would be getting the same player. Though having said that.... look at the transformation in Curtis Main under Robinson after a disappointing spell at Aberdeen and back down south. If we ARE interested, could a change environment and style of plat benefit him? Possibly

3 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

According to The Record, Saints bagged $76k from Baccus's participation in the World Cup.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-bank-most-fifa-cash-30455791

It makes you wonder how accurate this is. With all due respect to the likes of St Johnstone, how did they receive more than us? Was it not only Wotherspoon they had at the WC with Canada and he made 1 sub appearance?

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

It makes you wonder how accurate this is. With all due respect to the likes of St Johnstone, how did they receive more than us? Was it not only Wotherspoon they had at the WC with Canada and he made 1 sub appearance?

I think the amount received was related to how long they'd been at their club. Baccus had only been at us a few months so I think a decent amount went to his old club. 

It's based on the entire two-year period leading up to the tournament (ie covering qualifying) and is pro-rated over the time. Wotherspoon was at Saints for that entire time, whereas Baccus only joined Saintees a few months before the World Cup.

Edited by craigkillie

The slightly mental angle to the imminent departure of Doidge from Hibs is that Lee Johnson is a big Curtis Main fan.

At this stage I'd be fairly certain Curtis is probably going abroad or back to England but if he was staying in Scotland I would not rule out him rocking up at Easter Road.

11 minutes ago, Div said:

The slightly mental angle to the imminent departure of Doidge from Hibs is that Lee Johnson is a big Curtis Main fan.

At this stage I'd be fairly certain Curtis is probably going abroad or back to England but if he was staying in Scotland I would not rule out him rocking up at Easter Road.

Assuming Curtis hasn’t got himself fixed up yet, would it not make sense to enter into some negotiations with him, and tempt him back as opposed to signing Doidge.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Assuming Curtis hasn’t got himself fixed up yet, would it not make sense to enter into some negotiations with him, and tempt him back as opposed to signing Doidge.

I think by all accounts, although the door was left slightly ajar there, that it is now closed.

From what I can gather there was a willingness on the part of the player to stay if certain terms were met, and there was a desire for the club for him to stay but alas it looks like they were too far apart in what he wanted versus what we were willing pay him.

He's still living round the corner from me and his family seem well settled here.

A shame but the manager has a budget and it's entirely his call as to how he uses it.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's based on the entire two-year period leading up to the tournament (ie covering qualifying) and is pro-rated over the time. Wotherspoon was at Saints for that entire time, whereas Baccus only joined Saintees a few months before the World Cup.

You cheeky scamp.

8 minutes ago, Div said:

I think by all accounts, although the door was left slightly ajar there, that it is now closed.

From what I can gather there was a willingness on the part of the player to stay if certain terms were met, and there was a desire for the club for him to stay but alas it looks like they were too far apart in what he wanted versus what we were willing pay him.

He's still living round the corner from me and his family seem well settled here.

A shame but the manager has a budget and it's entirely his call as to how he uses it.

It’s all a bit frustrating when you think of the transformation in his game under Robinson. It’s a real shame we couldn’t work something out but we move on and trust the management team to deliver.

42 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

According to The Record, Saints bagged $76k from Baccus's participation in the World Cup.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-bank-most-fifa-cash-30455791

Would have covered his wages for the whole of last season - so gratefully received thank you.

Now we have time to sign more international before the next WC.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

It’s all a bit frustrating when you think of the transformation in his game under Robinson. It’s a real shame we couldn’t work something out but we move on and trust the management team to deliver.

I don't think any fans have a problem with Main trying to get a better deal.

I would imagine if he was going to get something considerably better it might have happened by now. Now he's likely to miss out on a month or two's wages, and also be behind in his fitness so probably miss out on some appearance fees early in the season as he gets up to speed. 

33 minutes ago, Div said:

Surely if we are trying to sign another striker and Main still hasn't got another deal the door must be slightly ajar? Even if it meant Main taking another year on what he was on previously? Would Main have been on significantly more than we would pay Doige if he signed for example?