The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

50 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I think we'll be hard pressed to better this signing news. Gogic has been a colossus for us this season. 

Outstanding bit of business.

Only signing that would come close is Strain for me. Best RWB in the league imo

7 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Only signing that would come close is Strain for me. Best RWB in the league imo

I love Strain but his fitness will hamper him getting a move to the size of club his ability deserves.

39 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for them overspending on folk like McNair as I'd rather see Baccus go outside of Scottish football. But likes of Middlesbrough could easily replace McNair with Baccus for a whole lot less money and he could handle the Championship without issue.

Wouldn't surprise me if he went to Boro . Think there was a Boro player at the last World Cup playing for Australia so they will have had good a good look at him . And would have been keeping an eye on his progress .

32 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Off topic but I  don't miss games against Airdrie

Screenshot_20240507_132002_DuckDuckGo.jpg

They would be my preferred winners in the whole play-offs shebang as their average attendance is the lowest of the three Championship teams, by a margin. I reckon Raith & Partick could make a decent go if promoted and County will likely be challenging for 10th/11th spot again if they manage to stay up. I'd love to see the Fakes go down as they have the potential to reinvigorate themselves especially if they can get rid of Levein although that may be expensive as mentioned on their thread.

Mon the Diamonds!

Airdrie can go f**k itself. I get that there are always roasters amongst all supports, but to allow that sort of display is disgusting.

What does having a flag with the picture of a rapist on it message to women and children?

Edinburgh News has an article regarding clubs match day income. I'm not sure how to link it I'm on my mobile maybe someone could do that. We are just behind Motherwell in 7th place. Hearts are in 3d place beating Aberdeen and Hibs. 

Possibly controversial, but I don't rate Strain as a defender, he doesn't have 90 mins in him, and has a poor injury record. On the flip side he is fantastic going forward, and with a dead ball, a maverick at the onion bag end of the park. I'd absolutely love him to stay but don't think it's too far fetched to see him staying, albeit only a slim chance.

Baccus on the other hand is a terrier with a great engine and no injury issues. He'd cruise it in any English Championship side or any of the big payers in our league. 100% will move on.

Whatever happens both have been top drawer for us and we can only hope we replace one or both with other hidden gems.

Brilliant, and quite unexpected, news that Gogic signs an extension. As someone else said, I guess getting a 3 year deal helps as they're not that common. So even if other clubs offered a little more money but only two years, then it's a no brainer to take this.

With a couple of young kids it makes sense to be settled somewhere too. Curtis Main went off to India for a bit of a pay day and it, unfortunately, didn't work out. Gogic is obviously happy here, which shows the club in a good light.

11 minutes ago, scam75 said:

Possibly controversial, but I don't rate Strain as a defender, he doesn't have 90 mins in him, and has a poor injury record. On the flip side he is fantastic going forward, and with a dead ball, a maverick at the onion bag end of the park. I'd absolutely love him to stay but don't think it's too far fetched to see him staying, albeit only a slim chance.

Baccus on the other hand is a terrier with a great engine and no injury issues. He'd cruise it in any English Championship side or any of the big payers in our league. 100% will move on.

Whatever happens both have been top drawer for us and we can only hope we replace one or both with other hidden gems.

I actually rate Strain as a defender. He reads the game well and wins a lot of 50 50 balls.  Is he injury prone? Perhaps you have a point. However I would have him in our side every day of the week. What he brings to our attack is outstanding. 

Posted (edited)

Did anyone see the gogic tweet to Hemming

”BTW I’ll pass the pen 🖊️

Kinda forgot hemming was here on Loan with majority of the chat recently being gogic baccus and strain. if we can get hemming also. I think that would be a decent result keeping 2 out of the 4. Maybe I’m wishful thinking. 

Edited by zildjian

2 hours ago, btb said:

They would be my preferred winners in the whole play-offs shebang as their average attendance is the lowest of the three Championship teams, by a margin. I reckon Raith & Partick could make a decent go if promoted and County will likely be challenging for 10th/11th spot again if they manage to stay up. I'd love to see the Fakes go down as they have the potential to reinvigorate themselves especially if they can get rid of Levein although that may be expensive as mentioned on their thread.

Mon the Diamonds!

I take your point here, but u see it a completely different way.

I want what’s best for the league, which in turn means what’s best for us. 
My strong preference would be to see St. Johnstone or County go down and Partick Thistle to come up. 

12 hours ago, Munoz said:

I think we'll be hard pressed to better this signing news. Gogic has been a colossus for us this season. 

Outstanding bit of business.

This ranks alongside the birth of my child and my wedding day, never mind signing news. 

10 hours ago, btb said:

Mon the Diamonds!

Do we want an other plastic pitch in the top league ?

Thistle for me for a day out in the city  🍺

11 hours ago, Torfason said:

Off topic but I  don't miss games against Airdrie

Screenshot_20240507_132002_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Had to read this twice, at first it looked like a statement that you go to every game they play. 😛

Jesus, we just got rid of Meadowferrantibanklivvy Thistle, and there’s folk on here touting for Airdriebankiesonians to come up?

Would rather eat my own shite with a teaspoon.

I had a feeling Gogic would stay. He is clearly enjoying his football and I suspect we have pushed the boat out to convince him. 

Strain and Baccus I'm almost certain are off. A shame too see Keanu go, he's been excellent for us. But he's not an automatic first choice and, at his age, I totally understand that he has to start week in, week out. He could also walk into a large number of English Champioship teams and earn a bomb whilst doing it it. Best of luck to him.

Strain will be the real loss. We saw when he first got injured how badly his absence impacted us ands the way we play. However, the manager has shown a real eye for talent in talking guys like Strain and Baccus to even consider coming to us, so I'm confident he will be replaced.

I'm not sold on Elvis and think we really need to be looking at a RWB as a priority.

14 hours ago, GAD said:

Kibble killing the club again.

Kibble have been excellent for st mirren, Gillespie is a shrewd operator and making a massive difference at our club.

10 hours ago, scam75 said:

Baccus actually does have a niggling injury which prevented him going to Bolton last summer.