The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Biscuits said:

Has a loan signing from either of them ever worked??

Thanks but no thanks 

Charlie Adam, Paul McGowan, Graeme Carey, Scott Cuthbert, Lewis Morgan, Lee Hodson.

34 minutes ago, Biscuits said:

Has a loan signing from either of them ever worked??

Thanks but no thanks 

Before you’ve ever seen him play a single minute for us? No chance of saying something like, everyone gets a fair go, a clean slate? I’m struggling to see why previous loanees, from anywhere, any club, have any bearing on what Kwon may be like in the stripes. Utterly bizarre to say ‘thanks but no thanks’ IMHO - you planning to boo his name when the stadium announcer reads it out for the first time? FFS, some of our supporters usually give a new signing 30 seconds before marking their card as a dud!

Edited by pozbaird

21 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Before you’ve ever seen him play a single minute for us? No chance of saying something like, everyone gets a fair go, a clean slate? I’m struggling to see why previous loanees, from anywhere, any club, have any bearing on what Kwon may be like in the stripes. Utterly bizarre to say ‘thanks but no thanks’ IMHO - you planning to boo his name when the stadium announcer reads it out for the first time? FFS, some of our supporters usually give a new signing 30 seconds before marking their card as a dud!

You finished?

On paper, it looks a very solid bit of business by Robbo. Every January signing is a bit of punt due to the nature of the window and significant lack of budget to actually spend a fee. With Baccus being away and both O'Hara and CBM performing in fits and spurts for much of the season, getting another option in the middle of the park was my personal priority this window.

I have zero knowledge of Celtic's reserves or Busan IPark for that matter but we have zero to lose bringing him in on loan, he will either do us a turn and earn himself a decent move elsewhere in the summer or another crack at Parkhead, or he'll go back and get punted having shown nothing with us.

I can't imagine we will be putting a lot of money towards his wages, both Rodgers and Robinson have praised each other on countless occasions in the press and I imagine there is a good working relationship there. He done us a turn by giving us Morgan back when he went there in the Championship season, so fingers crossed its the same again considering Kwon will undoubtedly be on more then Greive was.

May even have saved us enough money to bring back Main. Hopefully.

Funnily enough I've been to a Busan IPark game and a few games in the Korean second tier.

Busan IPark got relegated a few seasons back and were close to promotion this year. He also played for Gimcheon, who are the armed forces team that players play for when they're doing national service. They got promoted back to the top flight this year. So whilst he's played mostly in the Korean second tier he has played at the top end of that and for two years of national service he's obliged to play for Gimcheon.

It's difficult to compare K League 2 to Scottish football. In the warmer months the game is played at a snails pace, but it is quite fast paced when the temperature drops, and it's pretty physical. There are quite a lot of midfielders that I would describe as 'neat and tidy', good first touch and pop the ball 5/10 yards.

A pretty long winded way of saying I wouldn't look too much into the fact he's mostly played second tier in Korea. He must have something about him if Celtic paid a fee and I'm guessing Celtic will be covering some of his wages. Seems a pretty low risk signing.

I doubt we are paying any of the boys wages, Celtic want to see if he can cut it or if they should cut him loose in the summer.

We have literally been given a ~£700K player for a few months for free.

He might be pish, he might be decent, he might be a superstar but until he gets a few games in then we have  to give him a chance.

Youre probably in the shite situation where you're too good to be improving in a January window because the players that could improve you are all going to cost a lot of money.

But you cant afford to not try and improve because your overall squads not good enough.

So you either try to improve by loaning from bigger clubs, or sign squad players to bulk things up. Suspect youll get a bit of both.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Youre probably in the shite situation where you're too good to be improving in a January window because the players that could improve you are all going to cost a lot of money.

But you cant afford to not try and improve because your overall squads not good enough.

So you either try to improve by loaning from bigger clubs, or sign squad players to bulk things up. Suspect youll get a bit of both.

I think that is par for the course for most clubs at this time of year, especially in Scotland where budgets are generally tight across the board. The crux of the January window is most players are going to cost too much money, so you end up with loan deals or jobbers desperate for a chance.

Clubs battling relegation will go for the jobbers, and it is always fun to see what names are thrown up. We've had it ourselves in many a season, who can forget the likes of Viktor Genev, Duckens Nazon and Laurentiu Corbu.

There was a player hiding in the Duck, very harsh red against Utd in the play-off imo. I'll agree the other two were not very good, but they had great names ! 🤣

12 hours ago, pozbaird said:

It’s nothing against the player himself - of course he gets my full support the same as everyone else in our team.

i just hate taking loan players from these c***s 

1 hour ago, scam75 said:

There was a player hiding in the Duck, very harsh red against Utd in the play-off imo. I'll agree the other two were not very good, but they had great names ! 🤣

25 goals in 50 games for cska Sofia in Bulgarian league according to Wiki . That's actually quite good .