The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

According to the Internet, which is of course notoriously full of misinformation, John McGinn's current basic annual salary is in excess of £6 million. So, if that's true, what sort of offer from a "bigger" club could tempt him to move elsewhere ?

3 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

What pubs do Saints buses leave from  ? My next game will be Motherwell away as it's my birthday I want to make a day of it. Anyone run a bus on here I can be booked on ? 

Brewers Tap (previously Lang's), The Tile, The Buddies Bar and The Court Bar all run buses. 

11 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Paper talk I hope so but given the fantastic job Robinson is doing speculation is something we will have to live with. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-robinson-lands-aberdeen-fc-32279623

Had it been a game v one of the arse cheeks last weekend rather than Aberdeen, stories like this would have been in every paper daily in the lead up. Classic Scottish media tactics when a "diddy" gets uppity. 

40 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Paper talk I hope so but given the fantastic job Robinson is doing speculation is something we will have to live with. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stephen-robinson-lands-aberdeen-fc-32279623

Any article that starts 'Lee Mair reckons' should be given no credence whatsoever given he's a pyramid-scheme punting oddball who goes into 100% 'yer da' mode and posts memes about how 'back in the WWII days, men were real men' shite.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Any article that starts 'Lee Mair reckons' should be given no credence whatsoever given he's a pyramid-scheme punting oddball who goes into 100% 'yer da' mode and posts memes about how 'back in the WWII days, men were real men' shite.

He actually seemed to have some decent patter in the past. Then he started with his Avon for wankers and it all went down hill.

On 04/03/2024 at 16:57, AW saint said:

Is anyone else worried that we lose Gogic at the end of the season. Apart from the County game he has been outstanding. 

I went to the 1877 post game on Sat and was very slightly merry.

When I left I bumped into Goga on his way to his car and I made it absolutely clear to him that he needed to sign a new contract.

I might have also have kissed his baldy head 😂

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Div said:

I m went to the 1877 post game on Sat and was very slightly merry when I left.

When I let I bumped into Gogic on his way to his car and I made it absolutely clear to him that he needed to sign a new contract.

Gogic now putting feelers out to clubs in Cyprus, Afghanistan, Somalia and Sudan....anywhere to avoid going through that again. 😂

Edited by djchapsticks

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

In that case I guess we give no credence whatsoever to an article which for the most part of it, was just being highly complimentary about our team and the references to Robinson (and McInnes) were really just stating the obvious that they are more in the mould of the type of manager Aberdeen need.

On the subject itself, whilst I’m resigned to losing Robbo at some stage, it would be depressingly familiar if we lost him to a club with the standing of Aberdeen/Hearts/Hibs. Surely to Christ he’d set his sights a bit higher than that. Especially when he can see what an absolute shambles the likes of Aberdeen and Hibs have been on managerial appointments/dismissals in recent years.

22 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

In that case I guess we give no credence whatsoever to an article which for the most part of it, was just being highly complimentary about our team and the references to Robinson (and McInnes) were really just stating the obvious that they are more in the mould of the type of manager Aberdeen need.

Correct. 

If Lee Mair told me water was wet, I'd dip my toe in to make sure.

43 minutes ago, Div said:

I went to the 1877 post game on Sat and was very slightly merry.

When I left I bumped into Goga on his way to his car and I made it absolutely clear to him that he needed to sign a new contract.

Feckin’ nightmare looking across to our main stand from W3 these days. See a baldy head and you don’t know if it’s you in hospitality for the day, Alex Gogic, Gus MacPherson back taking in a game, or the president of FIFA munching on a Pie Sports curry pie while watching the mighty Buddies.

I'd be surprised if Aberdeen went for Robinson. Firstly the fans have ideas above their station and given they recently took a manager from us and it didn't workout, then I don't think they'd be happy with the appointment. 

Secondly - and I guess this is linked to the first point - a lot of their fans are calling for a manager that plays some sort of expansive, passing game. OK, you work with the tools at your disposal and Aberdeen would have a much bigger budget for players, but I don't think Robinson is that type of manager.

Given the job he's done for us, you have to assume there will be interest in Robinson - maybe not from Aberdeen but there will surely be decent League One clubs considering him, if not ones higher up.

Hopefully we have some sort of succession planning going on behind the scenes - worked out OK two years ago.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

Given the job he's done for us, you have to assume there will be interest in Robinson - maybe not from Aberdeen but there will surely be decent League One clubs considering him, if not ones higher up.

Hopefully we have some sort of succession planning going on behind the scenes - worked out OK two years ago.

I thought Flynnietsa was doing his badges and seemingly has management potential. I stand by my view that IF Cormack tried to lure another St Mirren manager North, it would go the same way for him as it did for the last St Mirren manager who Cormack appointed. Not saying this to appear churlish or anything at all, but Robinson & O’Carroll should be eyeing a bigger and better move than Aberdeen… as Aberdeen are in this modern Scottish fitba’ landscape.