The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We could get away with it, Erhahon/MacPherson/Kiltie/McGrath all have fresh legs for doing the graft. 

Does Erhahon have the "legs" for that? In terms of on the ball stuff.

He comes out really, really, badly as a CM who is able to move the ball around the park individually. Its not a death knell for him as anything, but in my stupid system the lower tiers are littered with technically sound players who can't cope in the top flight because they cant run with the ball, as weird as that sounds. Seems to be a trend and he doesn't fit in it where you'd want him to.

Thats without watching any real amount of him, but I'm not sure where he fits in a top flight midfield.

Does Erhahon have the "legs" for that? In terms of on the ball stuff.
He comes out really, really, badly as a CM who is able to move the ball around the park individually. Its not a death knell for him as anything, but in my stupid system the lower tiers are littered with technically sound players who can't cope in the top flight because they cant run with the ball, as weird as that sounds. Seems to be a trend and he doesn't fit in it where you'd want him to.
Thats without watching any real amount of him, but I'm not sure where he fits in a top flight midfield.
Despite everyone singing his praises I'd agree with that. Ethan can play short accurate passes until the cows come home. He is also good at holding onto a ball when pressed/tackled. However I still see loads of areas of his game he has to improve on. I hope an experienced midfielder can coach him during games as he doesn't appear to get much coaching during training sessions.

4 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Press reporting Liverpool going to make a move for McGinn that Villa would be looking at a minimum 20 million. OK its paper talk but if such a deal was struck would saints get anything ? 

We get 30% of the 15% Hibs make on any transfer fee. We are also due the development fee. 

8 hours ago, Ric said:

Power is an absolute waste of a wage, unless he is on utter peanuts.

Interestingly everyone is comparing him to JDH in the assumption that Power is his replacement, however nobody thinking he's the replacement for McGrath... ;)

Edit: Just thinking if I have reacted as negatively to previous Goodwin signings, and while not all of them have worked out, I'd say Main and Power are the first players Goodwin has brought in that I actively don't want at the club. If Stubbs had brought them in, this thread would be in meltdown.

Power would have been an upgrade on any of the sub standard Jobbers That Stubbs managed to sign. 

There’s no point in comparing Stubbs with anyone as he is without a shadow of doubt the worst manager we’ve had the misfortune to have in recent times.

23 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Press reporting Liverpool going to make a move for McGinn that Villa would be looking at a minimum 20 million. OK its paper talk but if such a deal was struck would saints get anything ? 

Times the 20 million by 3.

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

Given that we've lost/released at least six players, if Power signs, we'll really only have room for one more. Two at a push.

Despite tear stained claims elsewhere, we'll be balancing the books as we always do.

Did Goodwin not originally say he wanted 6 in, we then lost Durmus, Connolly and (potentially) JDH so I think there could still be a few more to come 

Would have been cheaper to re-sign Foley, both offer the same in midfield.  And, no, I definitely don’t want Foley back. 
Power has never struck me as similar in style to Foley. I never thought of Foley as a hard man whereas that's all I think of when someone mentions Power. Reminds me a lot of Tommy Turner but this is a level above the one Turner shined at. Hope I'm wrong but just get the feeling Powers best days are behind him.

His signing turned our season around making us think we had a real find, then he was asked to play a different role and he didn’t look anything special. Not his fault that the manager altered his role after such a good start.  I think United have got a really good signing, but I agree with an earlier comment, this is Cammie’s chance to kick on and if he does JDH won’t be a big loss. 

I am utterly ambivalent about JDH, if United want to throw big wages at him then more fool them. Decent enough player but definitely not worth pushing the boat out for. The fact United will push out that boat, at a time when United's haven't had their financial problems to seek, then ultimately him going there may actually benefit us in the long term.

In terms of new signings coming in, we're still waiting for Goodwin's "euro lucky dip" player to arrive. Chabbi before, Quaner this time round, be interesting to see who he targets this time. The rest of this window will be sitting there waiting for an acceptable bid for McGrath.

Every Killie fan I've spoken to seems to think Power will be an excellent signing for us and are disappointed he might be leaving.

I'm a bit disappointed myself about the JDH thing to be honest. I know he wasn't hitting the heights at the end of the season but you could see he is a talented player. The fact he's signing for Dundee United makes it worse as well. If he'd fucked off to some English League One or Championship team I could have understood that. We are obviously not paying the wages St Johnstone fans assured us we are.