The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

23 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I'd really hope we were looking at bringing in a free agent to bolseter of striker choices, although at this stage you have to wonder what's out there on that front. Any half decent goalscorer will have long been snapped up. We're now in a position where we're hoping we can keep Brophy fit for the rest of the season. 

I think I may have cause all of this. I shouldn't have said anything. Sorry bout that.

I think we will go with what we have up front. Erwin wasn't brilliant, but the team played better with him on. I reckon we will be ok being hard to beat and getting goals from across the team to keep us out of the relegation battle. I do, however, think Brophy's injury and the 6-7 goals we will miss from him if he's out the rest of the season will cost us any chance of top 6. I definitely wouldn't be throwing money at a scumbag like Griffiths.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I think we will go with what we have up front. Erwin wasn't brilliant, but the team played better with him on. I reckon we will be ok being hard to beat and getting goals from across the team to keep us out of the relegation battle. I do, however, think Brophy's injury and the 6-7 goals we will miss from him if he's out the rest of the season will cost us any chance of top 6. I definitely wouldn't be throwing money at a scumbag like Griffiths.

I think we need someone - to go with Erwin and Grieve would be a huge gamble - Main unfit but he’s not got a goal in him at present anyhow 

19 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I think we need someone - to go with Erwin and Grieve would be a huge gamble - Main unfit but he’s not got a goal in him at present anyhow 

What do you think we will get from the free market at this stage that's going to be that much better? We aren't going to get anyone near the level of Brophy, not unless they've been injured all season and need a few months to get back up to speed. The guys floating around that market now I don't think will offer much more than the three strikers we have.

If Brophy is out for the rest of the season I think we will need to move for a free agent, is the loan market still open too? If it's just a couple of weeks i suspect we will muddle through.

Hindsight is 20/20, if we knew Brophy was going to get injured 20 minutes into the first game after the window closing we wouldn't have let Dennis go.  Now it looks like Erwin is our only fit striker and i think he will start at Easter Road. I thought we looked much better when he came on last night actually, he did fine.

I see New Zeland's game tomorrow with Uzbekistan has been cancelled due to a COVID outbreak in the New Zealand camp. I'm assuming that means Greive is not going to be available for either the match on Saturday or the St Johnstone game next week.

Lucky Erwin knocked back Thistle :whistle, re Grieve I wonder what NZs international schedule is, actually I see they've got 3 games between March 18-24 altho that would only affect one match for us - the last game before split on the 23rd.

Edited by btb

Greive is back today Goodwin said.
The New Zealand game was cancelled due to Covid in the New Zealand squad. He'll either be one of the affected or be self-isolating.

He may well not be back.

Anyway, Goodwin needs his arse kicked for putting us in this position. I'm not buying the "we didn't know Brophy was going to get injured" pish.

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

The New Zealand game was cancelled due to Covid in the New Zealand squad. He'll either be one of the affected or be self-isolating.

He may well not be back.

Anyway, Goodwin needs his arse kicked for putting us in this position. I'm not buying the "we didn't know Brophy was going to get injured" pish.

I agree on Goodwin, he already new that Brophy has previous for being somewhat of an injury prone risk. Erwin gives you about 50% effort at any time when he plays and Main when fit offers 100% effort with zero end product.

There’s going to be a shit load of pressure on young Greive to produce now, when he’s hardly even up to speed with the pace of the game in Scotland. 

Really feel for Brophy; he looked upset when he went off last night. As the ongoing saga in Kirkcaldy demonstrates, there's more to football than eh football. Pampered footballer, x grand a week, blah blah I know.... but he's obviously like everyone else just wanting to put in a good shift at their work (to the extent that he may actually have tried to run off a torn ankle ligament). Waking up this morning in pain contemplating another spell on the sidelines will not have been nice. Godspeed Eamonn!

Edited by Buttocks Brown