The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

For me we are where we should finish in the league. The other 5 teams above us have way more of a budget and better players up front. It was a tall order to get europe. I am delighted with top 6. Time to build for next season

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

For me we are where we should finish in the league. The other 5 teams above us have way more of a budget and better players up front. It was a tall order to get europe. I am delighted with top 6. Time to build for next season

That pretty much sums it up for me too, we have some decent players but in terms of top six, there are better players in the other sides. 
Main and Dunne need to be replaced with better as one doesn’t score enough and the other has too many brain farts, while Fraser, Kiltie, Tanser are probably punching slightly above their weight in the top six.

Regardless of how the season finishes, we have done exceptionally well to finish top six.

Bit worried about Gallagher to be honest. He looks like whatever it is that's been keeping him on the bench is still an issue. He wasn't mobile at all today. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed over the summer, but I'm not sure I'd be picking him again till it's resolved.

11 hours ago, GAD said:

Bit worried about Gallagher to be honest. He looks like whatever it is that's been keeping him on the bench is still an issue. He wasn't mobile at all today. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed over the summer, but I'm not sure I'd be picking him again till it's resolved.

While we've got a few key players on contract, we're also looking at a fair bit of churn over the summer. Dunne away, possibly Joe Shags as well. Potentially need further cover at the back for Declan. Taylor signed but needs more time (might be ok after a preseason). 

Then up front, Main, Jamieson and Henderson probably moving on, Brophy should be released, Watt likely to be out our price range. We can't really depend on Ayunga not predict how/when he will return.

Baccus's niggling injury may preclude a move this summer - and our chance of a big fee for him - but Strain has to be getting watched by clubs in England and you'd imagine 400k would do it.

That's a LOT of the squad.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

While we've got a few key players on contract, we're also looking at a fair bit of churn over the summer. Dunne away, possibly Joe Shags as well. Potentially need further cover at the back for Declan. Taylor signed but needs more time (might be ok after a preseason). 

Then up front, Main, Jamieson and Henderson probably moving on, Brophy should be released, Watt likely to be out our price range. We can't really depend on Ayunga not predict how/when he will return.

Baccus's niggling injury may preclude a move this summer - and our chance of a big fee for him - but Strain has to be getting watched by clubs in England and you'd imagine 400k would do it.

That's a LOT of the squad.

Yeah, it really depends on if Strain and Baccus really are leaving or not. With the probably definite leavers that gives us Carson, Strain and Tanser, Fraser, Gallagher, Taylor in defence, a midfeild of Gogic, Baccus, O'Hara, or you can swap Gogic into defence and bring in Kiltie. That's not a terrible starting point. You'll also have squad players like Flynn, Urminsky, Offord and of course Ayunga to come back. 

We will probably need to bring in about 7-8 players, mixture of squad and first team starters, it's not that heavy for a team in our league. Biggest problem will be that we need forward players. Always the hardest to get right I feel.

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Still hopeful we can pick up points at home all is not lost just yet. 

Next week is now obviously a must win game if we're to have any chance of a European place. 

Europe will just be out of our reach. Its great to have an outside chance and something to reach for but I just cant see it happening. 

Overall I have enjoyed our season. Our away form has been our downfall. 

Looking forward to seeing who comes and goes. 

Hope Robbo signs his contract and we kick on next season. 

The green bigots need to take 3 points today and we need to take 3 next week to have any chance at all.

That would put us within a point (technically a point and a half due to GD) of Hearts.

Even if those two scenarios do play out, it will be a tall order. We'd still need one more win than Hearts from the last three fixtures.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

The green bigots need to take 3 points today and we need to take 3 next week to have any chance at all.

That would put us within a point (technically a point and a half due to GD) of Hearts.

Even if those two scenarios do play out, it will be a tall order. We'd still need one more win than Hearts from the last three fixtures.

…which will come in the final game of the season against couldn’t-give-a-f**k Deadco Inc.

First things first. Needs these hoops to do the decent thing,

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

And Hibs if they lose to Aberdeen next week. 

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

Do or die now on Saturday. Great to have a game like this to look forward to and fair beats squeaky bum time.

Hopefully hardly anyone turns up gives us a chance because a full house will  produce another Killie game performance. 

We are the outsiders, but some on here seem to have adopted a " we know our place" mentality. Hopefully those in the dressing room haven't.

Obviously next week is a must win, but we're playing against a side with a manager taking charge of only his fourth ever game. If Hibs also lose in Aberdeen that would be very helpful. 

We can also hope that Aberdeen have tied up third place by the time we play them.

We've beaten Celtic already this season and they've got nothing to play for, while Rangers are shite just now.

Believe!