The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 hours ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Poor decision should be made to play the match, yous wanted the game moved from original midweek fixture for No reason..

I assume that you are ripping the piss with that response. if not then away and have a lie down until you've come to your senses.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

I fucking love this picture. What a legend.

Did you read the interview? Yardley my ashes will be laid here All my family who are big Hearts fans ask why so much feeling for Saints I tell them it grows in your blood Saints are in my blood. Evening Times. 

46 minutes ago, Silvio said:

Let's hope his street is near where he dispatched the goal from this clip from.

Any opposition fans who ever slagged Yardley for being pish, just take a look at him absolutely ruining the Morton defence at the first Saints goal and especially in the build up to Basher's red card.

On 1/4/2018 at 13:07, Stevie88 said:

Big  Mark was voted cult hero  by Saints fans. I'll never forget his last goal for the club which was  against Morton at Cappielow in a cup game. It was one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments. Waltzed through the Ton defence and buried it to win the game.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

That Facebook 'Memories' thing has just informed me that eight years ago today I received tickets for a cup final in the post. It's weird, because I can't even remember Saints getting to a final in 2010.

Definitely a mistake mate, it was 2013. We definitely didn't play in the league cup in 2010. Fake news.

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Is he pronouncing Lavety's name correctly? I can remember Saints fans singing a song about him at Love St years ago but they pronounced 'Lav-it-eh'.

I've always said it as two syllables; la-vety. Don't think I know anyone who says it differently.

Now, onto another question...

Do we want Morton promoted with us? There is a good chance they will make the playoffs, and I'm sure all the Saints fans (even grudgingly) would like to see them do well if it's not at our expense in any way. Yet if they were to get through to the final playoff game against what looks like County, do we want them to win that game?

The need for a derby match is more psychological than it is financial in the top league. Sure it will always be better to have a local team bringing thousands, compared to (again, just for example) County who are hundreds of miles away and can, at their most pauce, be bringing just double figures; and the derby is important for our finances in the lower leagues. That said you are in a league with the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs; all of whom will offset any loss of a derby match.

I think there is a certain amount of sympathy for Morton. In the last couple of decades, and due to our success and Morton's failures, we've seen very few league derbies. 21 of them to be precise over the last 20 years, over half of them coming in the last 3 seasons. They seem to be perennial under achievers.

That said on the flip side, and from a St Mirren point of view, and in terms of point and laugh material, it is most chuckleworthy that Morton haven't graced the top division in 30 years. As for beating us in that top division you need to go all the way back to 1985 (for the lulz, this was #1 in 1985). Now it's only fair to mention that they did have a decent run of almost a decade in the top division from 78.

So... that's the dilemma, do we want Morton in the top league even if it means the end of some pretty tasty bragging rights?

10 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Big  Mark was voted cult hero  by Saints fans. I'll never forget his last goal for the club which was  against Morton at Cappielow in a cup game. It was one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments. Waltzed through the Ton defence and buried it to win the game.

The Archie Gemmill goal was one of my favourites of his. I remember shouting hit it , before he ghosted by 3 ton defenders and buried it. Top man Boom Boom.

I've always said it as two syllables; la-vety. Don't think I know anyone who says it differently.

In the song I heard it was definitely sang with 3 clear syllables. Mind you, I'd say either way it's said it's a 3 syllable word.

11 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Any opposition fans who ever slagged Yardley for being pish, just take a look at him absolutely ruining the Morton defence at the first Saints goal and especially in the build up to Basher's red card.

Seem to remember him scoring a wonderful solo goal in some sort of cup game at Cappielow. Pretty sure it was in extra time as well.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

In the song I heard it was definitely sang with 3 clear syllables. Mind you, I'd say either way it's said it's a 3 syllable word.

Being a Queens fan I fully expect you to have a farmer's accent, perhaps that explains the 3 syllable thing.. ;)

Being a Queens fan I fully expect you to have a farmer's accent, perhaps that explains the 3 syllable thing.. [emoji6]

"Vety" is 2 for me - 've-ty'. Given you probably can't say your team name correctly I'm not taken any English lessons from you: 'St Murn' b)

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Vety" is 2 for me - 've-ty'. Given you probably can't say your team name correctly I'm not taken any English lessons from you: 'St Murn' b)

In my defence I am not from Paisley and have never lived there, so my pronunciation will not be the same as the locals.