The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

"Vety" is 2 for me - 've-ty'. Given you probably can't say your team name correctly I'm not taken any English lessons from you: 'St Murn' b)

I like the version that gets St Murn down to a single syllable. Smurn. 

I tell you what else is a three-syllable word, mind: champions. Unless you're singing it, in which case it's typically four... :P

Edited by Coventry Saint

4 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That Facebook 'Memories' thing has just informed me that eight years ago today I received tickets for a cup final in the post. It's weird, because I can't even remember Saints getting to a final in 2010.

Maybe you shared a picture from the 2009 final against the dead team a year after the event? 

3 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Seem to remember him scoring a wonderful solo goal in some sort of cup game at Cappielow. Pretty sure it was in extra time as well.

Yes that was the goal I was referring to in my previous post.  I'm pretty sure it was in extra time too.

10 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Yes that was the goal I was referring to in my previous post.  I'm pretty sure it was in extra time too.

It was the last min or so of extra time which made it even more of a joy to watch. Big Yards is a legend and a thoroughly decent guy, who always made time for a chat. 

It was a travesty that there were no tv cameras to catch the goal as it was a worthy  candidate for goal of the season.

19 hours ago, Silvio said:

Let's hope his street is near where he dispatched the goal from this clip from.

Did the North Bank side linesman have a hostile Ton crowd right behind him.

Two bizarre decisions he gave.

Yet despite two soft penalties and a ridiculous red card, Saint still win.

And some amazing skill there from the Big Legend!

Yardley was brilliant, I absolutely loved him when I was a kid. He gave everything and was also a good player at that level.

I wonder if Yardley had been fit for the whole season we had in the SPL if we'd have had enough to stay up. We lost Lavety and Mendes, and Yardley was out for a massive chunk of that year.  That's tough for any club to deal with.

As for Lavety, it's definitely 3 syllables. The stress is on the second syllable 'la-VE-ty'.

12 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

That Facebook 'Memories' thing has just informed me that eight years ago today I received tickets for a cup final in the post. It's weird, because I can't even remember Saints getting to a final in 2010.

Facebook must be wrong. A glitch maybe? Yes that's it. A glitch. 

11 hours ago, madmitch said:

Big  Mark was voted cult hero  by Saints fans. I'll never forget his last goal for the club which was  against Morton at Cappielow in a cup game. It was one of those "Did that really just happen?" moments. Waltzed through the Ton defence and buried it to win the game.

To me this goal is the Loch Ness Monster, the yeti and the tooth fairy all rolled into one. Heard all these stories about it but of course I missed the game and have never seen any footage of it anywhere since. Pretty sure David Hopkin scored for Morton that day.

2 minutes ago, fraser_smfc said:

Facebook must be wrong. A glitch maybe? Yes that's it. A glitch. 

To me this goal is the Loch Ness Monster, the yeti and the tooth fairy all rolled into one. Heard all these stories about it but of course I missed the game and have never seen any footage of it anywhere since. Pretty sure David Hopkin scored for Morton that day.

One of the Ton players scored a belter, off the bar and in effort, that one might have been Hopkin, he definitely scored but think he went off injured.

Simon Lappin literally burst the net with his goal.

Yardley's goal was orgasmic.  It was Messi combined with Archie Gemmill's goal v Holland, twists/turns, limbs flying everywhere and that was just the Ton defenders, the scenes after it was absolute carnage.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

One of the Ton players scored a belter, off the bar and in effort, that one might have been Hopkin, he definitely scored but think he went off injured.

Simon Lappin literally burst the net with his goal.

Yardley's goal was orgasmic.  It was Messi combined with Archie Gemmill's goal v Holland, twists/turns, limbs flying everywhere and that was just the Ton defenders, the scenes after it was absolute carnage.

I'm sure Morton were 2-0 up at half time and we were down to ten men as well. Hopkin had been brilliant but got injured and may even have been subbed at half time. I can't even remember any of the other goals, I just remember big yards, poetry in slow motion, dancing through the hapless Morton defence, his big arse bouncing them off left and right as they desperately tried to stop the inevitable before a big TB past the keeper and the greatest celebrations Cappielow has ever seen. He absolutely broke Morton that day.  I remember their fans in tears outside the ground.

Fucking legend.

4 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm sure Morton were 2-0 up at half time and we were down to ten men as well. Hopkin had been brilliant but got injured and may even have been subbed at half time. I can't even remember any of the other goals, I just remember big yards, poetry in slow motion, dancing through the hapless Morton defence, his big arse bouncing them off left and right as they desperately tried to stop the inevitable before a big TB past the keeper and the greatest celebrations Cappielow has ever seen. He absolutely broke Morton that day.  I remember their fans in tears outside the ground.

Fucking legend.

It was also Yards' last ever goal for St Mirren.  But not his last against Morton as he also pumped them playing for Albion Rovers later that season. 

What a fucking amazing way to sign off. It's such a shame that game wasn't taped as the goal was phenomenal. He took it from about 40 yards out on the main stand side and just ripped everyone. 

Always remember the extra time overlapped the start of Scotland playing against the Faroes and walking back on the supporters bus, the driver telling us it was 2-0 already. When we enquired who scored them he said 'the fucking Faroes' 

10 hours ago, fraser_smfc said:

Belter of a goal, big Yards goes through the Morton defence like a hot knife through butter. Dodged three or four challenges before burying it!

Coincidentally, it being Yardley's last goal for Saints that day I think it was also Simon Lappin's first that took it to ET...someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Edited by JimmyMirren

9 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

So... that question I posed earlier. Do we want Morton to...

a) Make the playoffs

b) Do well in the playoffs

c) Get promoted via the playoffs

I'd like to see them get to the playoff final so they get their hopes up, but then get utterly ridden. Maximum entertainment.