The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

On 18/03/2018 at 11:32, Bobby_F said:

So do Saints fans think it’s all over then?

Yesterday we get a great win away in Dumfries, and our two closest rivals both drop points at home...

... and not a peep on this thread, and barely anything from Saints fans on the match day thread either.

I guess it’s true that bad news sells more than good!

There's a big part of me doesn't want this to end and admit it's over, it's brilliant just now and it won't be 3 points most weeks next season in the city league

Todd should leave in the summer. He'll be 24 by the start of next season and needs to be playing regularly. For one reason or another, that hasn't happened with us - and if we get promoted he'll be a bit part player next season. Would be far better for his career to be playing every week in the Championship rather than sitting on the bench at best. Worked out fine for Paul McGinn in 2013 when he dropped down to Dumbarton.

Mixed feelings on whether or not we keep Stelios. If we go up I can see the sort of displays he put in at Pittodrie becoming far more frequent. However, if we don't get Liam Smith back he might be able to do a job at rightback and his versatility makes him a handy squad player. However, there is also the fact he posts motivational pish on Instagram which is unacceptable.

I'm going to infer two things from this tweet from Stelios:
1) we have started to talk to players about new deals (there were rumours to that effect yesterday, I believe).
2) he's not getting offered one.
I may be reading too much into it.
I'd offer him another year not a high risk gamble.

I know there is not much loyalty on football and every penny is a prisoner when it comes to a club like ours, fine margins between promotion and relegation but I think Stelious would be worth another year.

If we get promoted he wouldn't be starting but could step in and do a job if someones injured or suspended for a game or two, as long as its not at Pittodrie.

He is a bit of a cult hero and clearly loves the club, he is more deserving of a deal next season than Duffy or Clarkson was this season, although fair play to the club for helping Clarky out.

He'd be a great signing for another Championship club, i think it wouldn't take much for him to stay.

1 minute ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I know there is not much loyalty on football and every penny is a prisoner when it comes to a club like ours, fine margins between promotion and relegation but I think Stelious would be worth another year.

If we get promoted he wouldn't be starting but could step in and do a job if someones injured or suspended for a game or two, as long as its not at Pittodrie.

He is a bit of a cult hero and clearly loves the club, he is more deserving of a deal next season than Duffy or Clarkson was this season, although fair play to the club for helping Clarky out.

He'd be a great signing for another Championship club, i think it wouldn't take much for him to stay.

Problem is that Stelios is all sugar or all shite.

He's either one of the best on the park or one of the worst, very few matches with real steady consistency.

I think he'll be far too exposed next season to be honest but I wouldn't be upset if he stayed on as the guy's a hero.

He's either one of the best on the park or one of the worst, very few matches with real steady consistency.
I think he'll be far too exposed next season to be honest but I wouldn't be upset if he stayed on as the guy's a hero.

Aye that's the worry. I think he'd be a cheap enough squad player, being honest with ourselves we know he isn't good enough for the step up.

When he's on it he is brilliant but he can be just as bad.

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I'd give Stelios another year tbh, He's one of these players that can fill a number of positions, and he has a first class attitude. 

4 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Is Gav signed for you for next year, or is it the case that now the leagues over bar the trophy presentation you'll be keeping him out of the window?

I believe he's out of contract, but going by what the more ITK posters have been saying we're starting to get players tied down for next season.

It'll become clearer if he's signed on again, depending on how many starts he gets between now and the end of the season.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Aberdeen in the cup was a prime example

Josh Todd put in a brilliant shift on the wing today, exactly the type of player we need. Not as good as Morgan, Magennis etc but definitely talent in the boy, only 23 as well (our 2nd oldest player on the pitch tonight). I’m assuming he won’t be signed on with you boys next season? 

18 minutes ago, QoS_Blue1919 said:

Josh Todd put in a brilliant shift on the wing today, exactly the type of player we need. Not as good as Morgan, Magennis etc but definitely talent in the boy, only 23 as well (our 2nd oldest player on the pitch tonight). I’m assuming he won’t be signed on with you boys next season? 

I'd imagine it'll depend on who we can bring in. I have no idea if Morgan back on loan is in anyway likely, but if it were to happen Todd would find it really difficult to break into the team, with us having Flynn, Magennis, and probably Hippolyte who can all play on the wing.

It's a shame for Todd as any time he's played he's looked good, so unlucky with injuries. Who knows what would have happened had he been able to get a run in the team.

Him an Queens could be a good fit. He's definitely good enough to do well at this level if he can stay fit.

Just saw the United v Queens score - surely it's ours now!

I really do hope that the team don't take their foot off the gas though, as the momentum we had at the end of last season helped us this season.

Looks like we're going up.

Every time we've been in the top league since the mid 80s we've struggled.

Would be great to see us do a bit better next time, and I think if we finish this season strongly it'll give us the best chance of doing that.

Keep it going boys!

Can't believe the collapse from United.

Credit to Jack, James and the players for grinding out the 1 goal ugly wins, that has been the difference between us and the rest.

We will be labelled the worst champions in years but is that hardly a surprise given Hearts, Rangers and Hibs have been the previous winners? I'd say we have done better than Hibs anyway, also like previous title winning seasons, our budget isn't the biggest in the league.

We won't even need to reach 70 points by the looks of it.

After our game against you next Tuesday we play Livi then have a double header against the Arabs. How about we give you the 3 points on Tuesday and we take Liam Smith, Reilly and Morgan back down the road with us?
Do you play either of them on the 3rd of April?

I really don't want the league to be won on the 3rd of April as it is one of the days we aren't in action when the rest are.

17 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Do you play either of them on the 3rd of April?

I really don't want the league to be won on the 3rd of April as it is one of the days we aren't in action when the rest are.

We play the Arabs at Tannadice on the 3rd then at home on the 7th.