The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Honestly, your squad looks brutal in terms of the top flight. Samson in goal an obvious weak spot. 

You'd be aswell keeping the main group though, as you'll have the inital momentum carried over from this season and a good start is massive. 

Genuinely interested to see how your current squad would do. 

35 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Honestly, your squad looks brutal in terms of the top flight. Samson in goal an obvious weak spot. 

You'd be aswell keeping the main group though, as you'll have the inital momentum carried over from this season and a good start is massive. 

There will be another big summer of churn ahead. Have to remember that the current squad has been assembled on a Championship level budget. Gaining promotion opens up a whole new level for a club of our size.

Keeping hold of Jack is the key to our continued success though. I've no doubt he's capable of assembling a squad that will allow us to hold our own in the top flight.

What the fans want, and whether this is realistic or not remains to be seen, is to see a St.Mirren side that isn't just content with season on season survival. We want to see a team that continues to play good attacking football and carries some ambition. Under Gus we just didn't get that.

Danny very nearly managed it at one point. I felt we were on the cusp of something great the summer we recruited Teale, Thompson, Hasselbaink et al but we never quite got the momentum going and we ultimately under achieved in the league with the players we had, albeit we did win a cup.

Lennon had a real problem sorting out central defence. It cost us, and eventually him, big time.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

As div said there'll be squad changes, I'd imagine there'll be a change to the style of football we play in the top flight too. Although we've only had three league defeats (so far) they've all been by three goals, add in the heavy cup defeats to Thistle and particularly Aberdeen (which came in the middle of a good league run) and its clear we've a lot of work to do.

Still its not all gloom - as you say most promoted teams carry a bit of momentum and often a better team spirit than those who've been hanging around the Bottom Six for a while

You just have to go with Doris Day - Que sera sera.

15 minutes ago, btb said:

As div said there'll be squad changes, I'd imagine there'll be a change to the style of football we play in the top flight too. Although we've only had three league defeats (so far) they've all been by three goals, add in the heavy cup defeats to Thistle and particularly Aberdeen (which came in the middle of a good league run) and its clear we've a lot of work to do.

I think I know what you're saying, but we did have single-goal defeats to the Arabs and Dumbarton, too.

1 hour ago, Div said:

There will be another big summer of churn ahead. Have to remember that the current squad has been assembled on a Championship level budget. Gaining promotion opens up a whole new level for a club of our size.

Keeping hold of Jack is the key to our continued success though. I've no doubt he's capable of assembling a squad that will allow us to hold our own in the top flight.

What the fans want, and whether this is realistic or not remains to be seen, is to see a St.Mirren side that isn't just content with season on season survival. We want to see a team that continues to play good attacking football and carries some ambition. Under Gus we just didn't get that.

Danny very nearly managed it at one point. I felt we were on the cusp of something great the summer we recruited Teale, Thompson, Hasselbaink et al but we never quite got the momentum going and we ultimately under achieved in the league with the players we had, albeit we did win a cup.

Lennon had a real problem sorting out central defence. It cost us, and eventually him, big time.

I think its naive to expect that in your first season up, as it generally becomes a slog. Dundee and Partick are both team who try and play "football" but they got sussed out pretty quick. Top flight teams are generally very good at sitting deep and hurting you on the counter 

I think its naive to expect that in your first season up, as it generally becomes a slog. Dundee and Partick are both team who try and play "football" but they got sussed out pretty quick. Top flight teams are generally very good at sitting deep and hurting you on the counter 

I’ve not seen anything in 18 months to suggest Jack knows any other way but accept its horses for courses.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Jack Ross is not your average manager only Real Saints fans :P know that. Jack is one step ahead thinking what is needed to do the job in hand look to last January and this January where he openly admitted to having one eye on promotion players signing.  Not shy of being ruthless I imagine there will be a large clear out. Will it work ? Will Jack still be manager ? 

One thing is guaranteed, if Jack Ross is here next season, we certainly won't be a 'sit in and shitfest it' type team.

He's also proven himself as a ruthless operator and not really the sentimental type when it comes to player retention. If you get a chance and are unable to take it, you'll be gone, be it on loan or permanently. Jordan Kirkpatrick and Ben Gordon, who both served Jack very well at Alloa are prime examples of this.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

5 league defeats...three of which were by 3 goals (as you say) but also 1 goal defeats to DU and Dumbarton.

OK so I'm senile that just means you've got 12 months! :P

11 hours ago, Coventry Saint said:

For some reason, when following the race for second place, I'm reminded of those episodes of Gladiators when both contestants' legs were gone and they kept trying to get up the travelator but kept fucking it up.

More like this .....