"The ICT Thread - From the Premiership to the Seaside"

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/6428433/ictfc-ross-tokely-bowing-out-on-a-high-with-nairn-county/

Big Tokes is finally bowing out at the age of 46 after a long and highly successful career. His last game will be at Christie Park tomorrow against Huntly, where it all started for him. 

• Replies 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• Highland Capital

Most players could only dream about the career he's had, and the longevity. He's seen his peers and rivals come and go and he's outlasted them all.

I saw him a few times this season for Nairn and he's moved in one to centre half. He was looking lean too after being a bit bigger during his time with Brora. Was great to see him still winding up opponents and being the target of their vitriol. I've also sat along from him at a few The Caley home games this season and he was as passionate in the stands as he was on the pitch. 

Ross, thank you. 

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/6428433/ictfc-ross-tokely-bowing-out-on-a-high-with-nairn-county/

Big Tokes is finally bowing out at the age of 46 after a long and highly successful career. His last game will be at Christie Park tomorrow against Huntly, where it all started for him. 

Surely the man to lead us to League 1 glory next season.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Big Dunc Ferguson producing the goods when it really matters. What a man.

I agree and whilst some have been shrilling and wanting him ejected, that was typically premature.

I've been endeavouring towards the objective with Duncan and I can accept that those brought up with the redolent cry of get it up the park might be fooled by the immediacy of that tactic but I rather think football has moved on and despite the frustration of this season, at least we have a philosophical sporting base to build upon. 

Yet again the vocal and dreary doomsters are proved better at being performative than predicting and fifth is a finishing position that is eminently achievable. 

1 minute ago, sophia said:

I agree and whilst some have been shrilling and wanting him ejected, that was typically premature.

I've been endeavouring towards the objective with Duncan and I can accept that those brought up with the redolent cry of get it up the park might be fooled by the immediacy of that tactic but I rather think football has moved on and despite the frustration of this season, at least we have a philosophical sporting base to build upon. 

Yet again the vocal and dreary doomsters are proved better at being performative than predicting and fifth is a finishing position that is eminently achievable. 

I think some of the criticism on here has been fair tbh. The areas we brought players in in January were not what we really needed and I don’t think five at the back works at home. Some of the stuff on Twitter is ridiculous though. Some people have never taken to him and they will always be against him and will jump all over it if it goes wrong.

Ive always thought if he keeps us up he’s done well. I’ve had my doubts if that was going to happen and to be honest I still do but when it’s come down the the proper must win games he’s produced the results.

I don’t think the style of play he wants us to play is suited to this squad or a relegation battle but reckon if you gave him the summer to put his own squad together it would be quite successful. I dont believe he will be here next season whatever happens this season though.

15 hours ago, sophia said:

You actually live on another planet! The only goal is staying up.

2 hours ago, Juanjo Nostalgia said:

You actually live on another planet! The only goal is staying up.

What a curious response to the imagining of a vaguely positive outcome to this season and of course, you are completely wrong. 

18 hours ago, sophia said:

What a curious response to the imagining of a vaguely positive outcome to this season and of course, you are completely wrong. 

Like I was wrong last year when you said we’d make the playoffs and I said we’d finish sixth?

On 13/04/2024 at 21:07, PB1994 said:

I don’t think the style of play he wants us to play is suited to this squad or a relegation battle but reckon if you gave him the summer to put his own squad together it would be quite successful. I dont believe he will be here next season whatever happens this season though.

Due to the financial issues at the club?

1 minute ago, Lanky Highlander said:

Due to the financial issues at the club?

Not due to the finances of the club just due to the finances of the championship in general. I think he’s had quite a shock at the lack of money that is around at this level. Apparently he couldn’t believe there wasn’t enough money for us to stay over night before away games.

I get the feeling from his interviews that he isn’t enjoying the job at all and can’t wait for it to be over. I could be totally wrong.

1 minute ago, PB1994 said:

Not due to the finances of the club just due to the finances of the championship in general. I think he’s had quite a shock at the lack of money that is around at this level. Apparently he couldn’t believe there wasn’t enough money for us to stay over night before away games.

I get the feeling from his interviews that he isn’t enjoying the job at all and can’t wait for it to be over. I could be totally wrong.

He doesn't look joyous in his interviews right enough. Keeping ICT up should put a smile on his face (and I do hope that happens).

I vaguely remember reading that one of the ICT Directors was paying his salary or am I making that up??

15 minutes ago, Lanky Highlander said:

He doesn't look joyous in his interviews right enough. Keeping ICT up should put a smile on his face (and I do hope that happens).

I vaguely remember reading that one of the ICT Directors was paying his salary or am I making that up??

That's the rumour anyway. And it's a pretty chunky salary as well if the rumours are true.

I've been told Dundee United wanted Ferguson before they appointed Goodwin but weren't prepared to pay the wages he was looking for.

45 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I hope you're right.

You can kind of split our season into sections I think.

When Ferguson came in we had lost six and drawn one of our first seven league games, lost three of our four league cup group games and been knocked out of the challange cup by Arbroath.  Overall we had lost nine of our first eleven games, we were in a terrible position.  From a completely blunt perspective, staying in the division from that position is a success.

After Ferguson came in we went on a good run - in his first eight league games we won four, drew three and lost one, the only defeat being to Raith who were flying at that time.  I think that was partially due to a new manager bounce and partly due to have David Wotherspooon on a short term deal.  We also seemed to hit upon a formation that worked for us but we persisted with that beyond the point where it clearly wasn't working. 

Looking back the point where it was clear that we had just had a bounce and not a sustainable change in form was December into early January, where we lost at home to Arbroath and produced a risible showing at Airdrie.  Our home form began to be a big concern as a winless run started stretching.  Around this time we began to recruit players and there were pretty big concerns about signing a load of centre halves and letting go two of our best midfielders in Carson and Welsh.  I understand the reasons why we let them go but don't think that it was a right decision, especially Welsh.

Around this point I started to really think we were done for, we couldn't get a win - blowing a two goal lead v Partick and then having successive 0-0 draws at home from games we really should have targeted for three points was a huge alarm bell.  At the same time we managed some surprising away wins at Raith and Cappielow that meant we didn't get pulled away from 8th completely.

The hope has to be that the two successive wins we have pulled out (our first back-to-back wins in the league this season) start another section of our season where we finally start to drag out three points.  I'm not getting too hopeful as single goal wins over the two worst teams in the league apart from us isn't too much to get excited about.  Saying that, what I think both those wins shows is a bit of spirit and fight in the team, which I wasn't sure was there before.  I'm sure I posted on here or elsewhere that we were the last team I'd back to get results in crunch games but the team have done that in the last two weeks which should give them some confidence.  One thing about this league is that aside from the top two teams I think every single side can go on a run if they hit form and circumstances align - almost every side this year has had times when they've put together a few wins.  If we can have our run in the next three games that would be perfect.

Edited by ICTChris

Regarding next season, if Ferguson does leave then I really hope our illustrious board and senior management are aware this could happen and have been working diligently behind the scenes so we have a quick appointment.  We need to completely restructure the team this close season and having to recruit a manager would complicate that hugely.

I'm sure they will! It's not like they are all massively incompetent.  On the bright side, if Ferguson did leave, I wonder what sort of seething statement we'd get.

We currently have seven contracted players for next season - Nikola Ujdur, Remi Savage, Lewis Nicolson, Charlie Gilmour, Adam Brooks, Louis Longstaff and Billy Mckay.  Of those out of contract, there's a few I think who are highly likely to leave - Cameron Harper for one - he has really grown as a player the past couple of years and has nine assists this season for a struggling team.  He's only 22 and I'd be amazed if an English team didn't pick him up, he was linked with Charlton in the window.

Edited by ICTChris

Ross Morrison allegedly stated at a recent fans meeting that they've not made any plans regarding the finances if we were to be relegated. I assume it's meant to come across as bullish belief that we're going to stay up, relegation isn't on our minds, it's not going to happen etc. If that's true then it seems naïve but perhaps it is just a front and the do have some kind of contingency planning ongoing.