Work colleagues

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Is it normal for people nowadays not to say thanks when you’ve done something for them? 

A few times this week I’ve had to prioritise stuff to fix other folks mistakes and after letting them know it’s fixed, I get no reply. Bit rude I feel

Also spelling my fucking name wrong, once I can accept. But it‘s in my signature and the email address you’ve had to add in. Open your eyes idiots.

It's been normal since I entered the workplace in the Nineties, in my experience. Which is to say that you'll encounter decent people who appreciate when things are done for them, and entitled c***s who expect the rest of the world to do their bidding, and promptly. There are plenty of them in middle-management.

The name thing - if I had a quid for every time I've spelled/written/typed out my name for someone only to see them write it down incorrectly, or see it spelled wrong on some other system at a later date, I'd have enough to treat the family to a meal at a decent restaurant. So I'd really like to see that happen, please; I deserve it.

I assume plenty of people just don't pay attention, but it happens so often that there must genuinely be a seam of people living among us who see/hear other people's names and think, "nah, that's wrong - I know better". Latest was at work, on my ID card. When I did a joking "huh, typical" as I was given it, my boss was mortified and showed me the email they'd sent off with the correct details on. So someone received that and, rather than copypaste it onto the template, they decided to do their own thing. Mystifying.

1 minute ago, EvilScotsman said:

Dajve?

Christ, don't encourage them.

With people giving their kids custom spellings of common names, I might end up being asked if I spell Dave with a 'j', a 'y', or the more-common silent 'ph' with hashtag.

Colleague made a big thing of becoming a Mental Health First Aider, including putting a badge on his email signature. I was shocked because he's absolutely the last person I would go to with an issue as he's an arrogant egotist who causes stress. Unsurprisingly, the only member of staff he directly manages raised a grievance about bullying, went off sick with stress for 2 months and has just left the company. 

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Colleague made a big thing of becoming a Mental Health First Aider, including putting a badge on his email signature. I was shocked because he's absolutely the last person I would go to with an issue as he's an arrogant egotist who causes stress. Unsurprisingly, the only member of staff he directly manages raised a grievance about bullying, went off sick with stress for 2 months and has just left the company. 

If I was an arrogant stress-causing egotist, I'd love to get into a mental health role in an organisation. It'd be like giving Jimmy Savile the keys to the morgue.

You'd like to think somebody might be keeping an eye out for something like that, but presumably they didn't think it was an important role anyway.

I'm sure there are stacks of honourable exceptions but the people I've known who have gone into psychology or psychiatry, as students or professionally, have all been mental. 

P.S. Apologies, there was one PHD student getting mice to go around a maze trying to avoid being electrocuted, he was sound.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I'm sure there are stacks of honourable exceptions but the people I've known who have gone into psychology or psychiatry, as students or professionally, have all been mental. 

P.S. Apologies, there was one PHD student getting mice to go around a maze trying to avoid being electrocuted, he was sound.

Bet his surname was Skinner.

Trying to manage a guy right now who is phenomenal at what he does but there is an incestuous nature around the three facilities I oversee. The owners all have different priorities at different times and undue hardship can be levied one way or the other depending which way the wind blows. This guy just can't see the bigger picture and I'm getting sick of running interference. I have given up a lot of responsibility to him regarding scheduling and worklflow but I think I may have given him too much rope. Thing is the guy used to run his own company so he should understand. What would would Jim Mclean do?

Sign 200 players a year on 15 yr contracts is not an option.

13 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Is it normal for people nowadays not to say thanks when you’ve done something for them? 

A few times this week I’ve had to prioritise stuff to fix other folks mistakes and after letting them know it’s fixed, I get no reply. Bit rude I feel

Also spelling my fucking name wrong, once I can accept. But it‘s in my signature and the email address you’ve had to add in. Open your eyes idiots.

No it is not normal nor is it professional nor is it efficient.

As well as being a courtesy it is also a "handshake" or acknowledgement that your fix has actually fixed their issue.

If they persist then follow up with "Is that issue now fixed to your satisfaction?"  If they reply "yes" then follow that with "then why can"t you f***ing say so".

Edited by Fullerene

On 01/12/2023 at 11:43, scottsdad said:

A strange one, but anyone who works with women - do they often end their emails with a wee x?

One woman I work with (and have done so for years) has started doing this. I find it a bit disconcerting. 

Never had it on a work email, but just about every text I get from female colleagues and friends end with an x.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:33, Central Belt Caley said:

Centrally Built Cally ^^^

On 01/12/2023 at 11:43, scottsdad said:

A strange one, but anyone who works with women - do they often end their emails with a wee x?

One woman I work with (and have done so for years) has started doing this. I find it a bit disconcerting. 

It means she wants your glans in and around her mouth.

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

possibly extremely arrogant of myself but what the f**k is a mental health first aider - and what does it entail?

Meant to be someone you can go to, as far as I can tell, when you are feeling a bit low or sad rather that going to see an actual therapist. They are just normal folk that listen rather than anyone who can do anything beyond that. I think they have their place in a work place but are ultimately useless if the employer doesn't respect working hours directives and the right to a private life.