Work colleagues

On 01/12/2023 at 12:33, Central Belt Caley said:

Also spelling my fucking name wrong, once I can accept. But it‘s in my signature and the email address you’ve had to add in. Open your eyes idiots.

Just deliberately spell their names incorrectly in response until they pick up on it.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Meant to be someone you can go to, as far as I can tell, when you are feeling a bit low or sad rather that going to see an actual therapist. They are just normal folk that listen rather than anyone who can do anything beyond that. I think they have their place in a work place but are ultimately useless if the employer doesn't respect working hours directives and the right to a private life.

They're also meant to watch out for colleagues exhibiting signs of stress or mental illness. Which s a joke with this guy as he enjoys berating his juniors in front of others, belittling them and joking about sacking people for the slightest thng. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

Meant to be someone you can go to, as far as I can tell, when you are feeling a bit low or sad rather that going to see an actual therapist. They are just normal folk that listen rather than anyone who can do anything beyond that. I think they have their place in a work place but are ultimately useless if the employer doesn't respect working hours directives and the right to a private life.

They're well meaning folk who've done a two day course and get their certificate. But ultimately know very little about the complxiteys of MH and wouldn't have a hope of faced with me having a meltdown.

38 minutes ago, RH33 said:

They're well meaning folk who've done a two day course and get their certificate. But ultimately know very little about the complxiteys of MH and wouldn't have a hope of faced with me having a meltdown.

I guess like a real first aider in a work setting they can deal with the minor stuff and mainly provide a signposting or referral service.

Like if you fall down a set of stairs your work place first aider will phone an ambulance but if you have a minor cut they will give you a plaster so I guess the same is true for mental health.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I guess like a real first aider in a work setting they can deal with the minor stuff and mainly provide a signposting or referral service.

Like if you fall down a set of stairs your work place first aider will phone an ambulance but if you have a minor cut they will give you a plaster so I guess the same is true for mental health.

Aye, pretty much there to say "haud on a minute" and keep you safe while they get the professionals in.
I've been one since 2013 and it's amazing how folk just need someone to talk to and don't know where to start.

Got into it after my brother ended himself, no idea if I've helped anyone that far gone, but i've pointed a few in the direction of help.

On 01/12/2023 at 12:33, Central Belt Caley said:

Also spelling my fucking name wrong, once I can accept. But it‘s in my signature and the email address you’ve had to add in. Open your eyes idiots.

Totally with you on this and have a story from many years ago that still angers me. 

My name is Graeme. It has two spellings I know of, my way or "the English" way. Imagine my horror when despite my initial email to a colleague having my name spelt properly in my signature and at the "To" field in my colleagues reply, she managed to spell my name in the body of the text as "Grime". That was the best part of 20 years ago and still angers me even though I've long since left that employment. 

Also last year I emailed another department mailbox for assistance in transferring stuff from their department to mine. The person who opened the email then intending to forward to their manager for help instead pressed reply and sent it to me saying "any idea what this dude is talking about?" Is it too much for folk to just keep their wits about them and check what they're doing first?!

13 minutes ago, FK1Bairn said:

Totally with you on this and have a story from many years ago that still angers me. 

My name is Graeme. It has two spellings I know of, my way or "the English" way. Imagine my horror when despite my initial email to a colleague having my name spelt properly in my signature and at the "To" field in my colleagues reply, she managed to spell my name in the body of the text as "Grime". That was the best part of 20 years ago and still angers me even though I've long since left that employment. 

Also last year I emailed another department mailbox for assistance in transferring stuff from their department to mine. The person who opened the email then intending to forward to their manager for help instead pressed reply and sent it to me saying "any idea what this dude is talking about?" Is it too much for folk to just keep their wits about them and check what they're doing first?!

Yes, people can be shite and inconsiderate. You're life will be simpler if you accept that and don't take it personally, that's my advice. I don't think it's in your own interest to hold bitterness about someone spelling your name wrongly 20 years ago. If you can let it go, let it go or if you can't then follow the advice of @oneteaminglasgow.

3 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Just deliberately spell their names incorrectly in response until they pick up on it.

Edited by 2426255

4 hours ago, Peil said:

Aye, pretty much there to say "haud on a minute" and keep you safe while they get the professionals in.
I've been one since 2013 and it's amazing how folk just need someone to talk to and don't know where to start.

Got into it after my brother ended himself, no idea if I've helped anyone that far gone, but i've pointed a few in the direction of help.

Sorry if I offended. Wasnt my intention. I haven't an issue with the idea in principle, the problem is the total lack of support and services when people need help. Having basic training needs there to be the services in place should someone approach you. Also ensuring the people doing it are able to cope and supported correctly is a concern of mine. Plus having the right people doing it, but really if it's offered as. CPD to anyone you can't stop twats like poster above talks of.

I've been vocal in past about the reduce stigma, raise awareness, ask for help campaigns. Two out of the last three times I've needed to go in there have been no acute beds in Scotland. So I've sat for 6/8/10 hours in a room in Dykebar until one frees up.

NHS list for talking therapy is as long as I am tall.

I'm a tad tainted as I've met lots of RMN who don't have the first clue at times. I'm also wary of what I share to lay people and friends as you can be exposing people to traumatic situations. 

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

Sorry if I offended. Wasnt my intention. I haven't an issue with the idea in principle, the problem is the total lack of support and services when people need help. Having basic training needs there to be the services in place should someone approach you. Also ensuring the people doing it are able to cope and supported correctly is a concern of mine. Plus having the right people doing it, but really if it's offered as. CPD to anyone you can't stop twats like poster above talks of.

I've been vocal in past about the reduce stigma, raise awareness, ask for help campaigns. Two out of the last three times I've needed to go in there have been no acute beds in Scotland. So I've sat for 6/8/10 hours in a room in Dykebar until one frees up.

NHS list for talking therapy is as long as I am tall.

I'm a tad tainted as I've met lots of RMN who don't have the first clue at times. I'm also wary of what I share to lay people and friends as you can be exposing people to traumatic situations. 

Oh no offence taken at all, sorry if I came over that way.

You're absolutely right, MHFA is a sticking plaster at best, but sometimes even just saying your worries out loud to someone who you know isn't going to run round gossiping can be a relief.  It's very much aimed at the manageable end of the spectrum of MH concerns, same as basic first aid really.

The provision of proper MH services, from CAMHS through to adult services, is appalling.  Long waiting times, high staff turnover, no joined up care packages.

16 hours ago, Derry Alli said:

possibly extremely arrogant of myself but what the f**k is a mental health first aider - and what does it entail?

12 hours ago, 101 said:

Have recently completed the course.

My interest was issues in the past with myself of MH problems and also of other situations I have been in with others.

If in any way I can be someone to speak or assist someone, even to direct to the best and proper help I want to do that.

https://www.smhfa.com/

It worth it even to grow some understanding.

45 minutes ago, Peil said:

Oh no offence taken at all, sorry if I came over that way.

You're absolutely right, MHFA is a sticking plaster at best, but sometimes even just saying your worries out loud to someone who you know isn't going to run round gossiping can be a relief.  It's very much aimed at the manageable end of the spectrum of MH concerns, same as basic first aid really.

The provision of proper MH services, from CAMHS through to adult services, is appalling.  Long waiting times, high staff turnover, no joined up care packages.

Was partly apologising for my wide sweeping generalisation as well! 

And we sing from same song sheet on provision. I had a rough summer and we all WFH so I decided one day to say "if we were in an office you'd know this already but I'm struggling but team leads are awesome" 

If we talk up we never know who we might help.

14 hours ago, FK1Bairn said:

I share the same first name, including spelling, and feel your pain. It never ceases to amaze how difficult some folk find it to spell my name despite it appearing in my email address, and my signature in every email I send.

Add to that a Scottish surname that is mangled by all non Scots, to an almost obscene manner in some pronunciations, I've had the delight of stuff posted to me that has both first and surname wrong to an extent I almost applaud the postie for getting it to me. And they could have got it right if they had simply copied the information I sent them.

They allowed one error, then I point it out at the second error, then lets see what I can do to your name.

Two clangers for me today. 

In one, going through accreditation, a recommendation was made about my course. I disagreed with this a couple of months ago and replied to our internal guy who is collating all this saying something along the lines that this is nonsense and they (the accreditors) don't have any clue what they're talking about. 

The exact working of my email ended up in the official response that went to them today. I didn't see it until after it had been sent in. 

Secondly, I was asked somewhat politely if I'd told another colleague to go f**k himself. Tricky one. I didn't say to this guy "Go f**k yourself". But I did say to another colleague "He can go f**k himself". So now I know we have a snitch in the team. And I know who it is. This guy is Fredo Corleone. He'll be fly fishing soon.

I was able to accurately reply that I hadn't told him to go f**k himself. 

I'm getting a bit ragged in the run up to Christmas. I need to reign in my free flowing (low) opinions of the useless ones. 

Got an apprentice away with me this week and he's a laugh a minute. Asked him make sure your belt etc off for flight, boy walks through security in steel toe cap boots. He got scrambled eggs this morning because "I don't like eggs but I thought my plate would look empty". It continued onto him saying "I actually should have got two or three poached eggs" I asked why he'd do that if he doesn't like eggs and his reply was "I don't mind eating them if they're in a row".

Davine Joy Randolph GIF by Focus Features

1 hour ago, Derry Alli said:

Got an apprentice away with me this week and he's a laugh a minute. Asked him make sure your belt etc off for flight, boy walks through security in steel toe cap boots. He got scrambled eggs this morning because "I don't like eggs but I thought my plate would look empty". It continued onto him saying "I actually should have got two or three poached eggs" I asked why he'd do that if he doesn't like eggs and his reply was "I don't mind eating them if they're in a row".

Davine Joy Randolph GIF by Focus Features

Away and send him on an errand to Screwfix for a pair of fallopian tubes.

33 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Away and send him on an errand to Screwfix for a pair of fallopian tubes.

A mate of mine worked in Buicks in Alloa in the 90s and often got young laddies in, having been sent for a long stand, sky hooks or tartan paint.