Work colleagues

Email received advising staff that there will be learning lunches (ie during your lunch hour) soon where you are invited to bring your own pack lunch and watch the presentations from the London office (as they won't be doing any in Scotland) from various Asset Owners.  I honestly think senior management are so detached from reality they think people will actually turn up to these. I guarantee that after a few weeks there will be another email expressing disappointment at the turnout. 

2 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Email received advising staff that there will be learning lunches (ie during your lunch hour) soon where you are invited to bring your own pack lunch and watch the presentations from the London office (as they won't be doing any in Scotland) from various Asset Owners.  I honestly think senior management are so detached from reality they think people will actually turn up to these. I guarantee that after a few weeks there will be another email expressing disappointment at the turnout. 

Similar thing was tried in our place some time back.

Nobody went/logged on.

Had a very similar argument at work recently. Someone had set something up from 12-1:45, no lunch provided but bring your own by all means. Asked why I wasn’t going, I said it’s over lunch time why not make through the day to which he said it’s so more people can attend...surely you’d be better doing it when people aren’t out for lunch then mate, no?

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Everything.

I hate feeling like I need to pressure someone in to buying some shit they don’t want.

I hate pestering people.

I hate the environment sales creates.

I hate the bullshit folk talk about sales.

I hate the targets you are invariably set.

I hate the lack of morals that almost always creeps in.

I hate salespeople in the main as they tend to be total bellends.

Hmm, don’t believe that, no, you are not really selling it to me.

25 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Had a very similar argument at work recently. Someone had set something up from 12-1:45, no lunch provided but bring your own by all means. Asked why I wasn’t going, I said it’s over lunch time why not make through the day to which he said it’s so more people can attend...surely you’d be better doing it when people aren’t out for lunch then mate, no?

It's people who have had a bright idea but their managers haven't bought into it. They can't justify pulling people away from work without the higher ups' consent, but they still want to do their project so they schedule it for lunch time.

15 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Agree with most of your outlook on not working too much etc, but the bold bit is bollocks. I’ve done a few jobs that were more physically demanding in the past, but my current office-based job requires far more hard work than any I’ve done previously. People seem to associate physical work (no matter how mentally easy and monotonous) as ‘hard work’, but mentally strenuous jobs take it out of you more in my experience. 

Agree with this - work in a back-office environment and anything which involves identifying and correcting errors that other people have made always leaves me something like :

Image result for charlie kelly confused

I mean the system's we use aren't the best but they're hard to completely break, at least, whereas human error takes on all kinds of wild and exciting forms to break me in ways I didn't think were possible - not to say I'm flawless myself by any means but trying to figure out what's the root cause of how certain mistakes can possibly have been made by any sentient human being is beyond me.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

It's people who have had a bright idea but their managers haven't bought into it. They can't justify pulling people away from work without the higher ups' consent, but they still want to do their project so they schedule it for lunch time.

Maybe their stupid presentation is just that, if they can’t get high heid yin’s approval.

1 hour ago, ONeils4Oyarder said:

I'm not the emotional type at all, but I watched my mate die recently and its the worst I've felt in my life. My grandparents have all died and I've been effected, aye, but nothing to the extent that I felt this time, and still do. Maybe at the age of 37, I've lead a sheltered life, or maybe its the fact that I witnessed it happening, or that a young family has been left without a dad...or a combination of everything, but its on my mind, each and every day without fail. It happened in the evening and I went to work the next day, and did until the funeral, I took that off and the following day, and my work never questioned me at all as they had known the circumstances. 

Each situation is different, and just because the person involved isnt blood related, doesnt necessarily make it any less traumatic.

I would imagine actually seeing it happen would put it pretty high up in the trauma stakes.

23 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

:lol:

You genuinely do think it should all be about work, don't you? I bet you do loads of unpaid work like a mug. It sounds like you also equate a person's opinion and/or approach to work with their ethos and ethic on everything else.

You've really bought in to the pish.

Work is nothing more than a means to an end. Who cares if someone works hard in an office (although not sure how you can work hard in an office)? It's meaningless. It's pointless. It's not something to be admired or be proud of. No one cares.

I sit on my arse all day bored out of my mind doing a pishy office job. I do what is asked me and it's very basic and straightforward. I'm probably sadly in the majority of people who do a job they don't like and worse, don't care about (other than the monthly wage) and have zero passion about.

Work should, at all times, be secondary to life. That means that at times it will get in the way of work and to me there is no issue with that at all.

I would of course love to not work at all but sadly that will never happen unless I win the lottery.

Whit a sad cunto you seem to be, not meant in a derogatory sense.

Hate job etc, well fucking get out.

Yet if Big Macs/lights your thing you are gonna have a shite job in a city.

Find out what job suits, and "move" , and Live.

Even to a shithole, if you're happy in work the rest falls into place.

* I'm happy in work and my own life is gonna go tits, buts that's my choice.

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Aye well moving is the plan, but sadly with no qualifications the options are exceptionally limited.

How old are you roughly DA? Have you considered an apprenticeship - there are some good ones out there (also some that rip the piss) but also some excellent training providers who will give you the skills in the area of work you are interested in. PM me if you want to discuss

Edited by Adam101

1 hour ago, Adam101 said:

How old are you roughly DA? Have you considered an apprenticeship - there are some good ones out there (also some that rip the piss) but also some excellent training providers who will give you the skills in the area of work you are interested in. PM me if you want to discuss

Meet a lot of like-minded people too.

apprentice-boys.jpg

On 10/31/2018 at 01:08, Dee Man said:

Office work sounds horrific.

Between this and the-thread-I-can't remember-the-name-of about 'office speak' I genuinely don't think I could go a week without planning a mass killing spree. There must be office workers around the world who regularly fantasise about this. 

Office work is horrific, period.

I work in local government office from 16 to 24 (they sent me to college and Uni for education) after that I was off quicker then quick fucker.

Never would go back.  These places are infested with c***s that think they know better, nae c**t like each other, if they do their usually fucking or married to somecunt in the workplace.  These places are a quagmire of educated losers trying to back stab their way to nowhere.

Seriously, (I was already) nae c**t where I worked had don't a full days work in their puff, but still complained about heating and sun glare (2 small examples).

Maybe this is just a government wankers  attitude that I have, I'm not for changing f**k them al!

ps they were easy for having a pint at lunch time, bonus (not really you had to sit with them longer)

DA Baracus you can move to a city even if you have no qualifications. Just go there and do what the unqualified city folk do - admin and stuff like that. Then when you get a glimpse of what life can offer and you want a bit more of it, you can start to get yourself qualifications. You can get a full suite of Highers in one year with distance learning, for example.

I suspect what holds you back is psychological, as it is for most people (including me).

Edit: I used an earlier version of this to get my Highers after initially leaving school without even Standard Grades.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher

17 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've got Highers but they mean absolutely nothing when getting a decent job.

How old are you @DA Baracus 

You seem a leveled enough headed chap to me. I went through a massive stage of life fucking up finance.  T.his was only rectified when I took the bulls by the hand.  Within 4 years as a single man (like you), I looked at reality and said "f**k this" I started to SAVE MONEY not do shite, then  travel, not far...England for starters (me) looking for jobs/opportunities.  I ended up not in the greatest job or even laughable wealthy job, but what I found with many contact & finally a life that I can be proud , f**k I probably make less than you, however where I live is great...love/hate in Scotland will always be there.  

Remember it's your life you decide.   Hommel 1943

Edited by SlipperyP

14 hours ago, Oooooft said:

Whit a sad cunto you seem to be, not meant in a derogatory sense.

Hate job etc, well fucking get out.

Yet if Big Macs/lights your thing you are gonna have a shite job in a city.

Find out what job suits, and "move" , and Live.

Even to a shithole, if you're happy in work the rest falls into place.

* I'm happy in work and my own life is gonna go tits, buts that's my choice.

I absolutely despise this "move if ye hate yer job" patter.  It's never as simple as that. People have responsibilities that require a wage, that means people need to take work that's available, even if they know it isn't what they want to do.  You can't just sit waiting for your ideal job to turn up, and even when it does the chances are there's about 300 others after it too.  Zero hour contracts all but remove any chance of folk with few qualifications of getting guaranteed work too. 

33 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've got Highers but they mean absolutely nothing when getting a decent job.

I wouldn't know about that. Mid 2000s I was able to get plenty jobs with just standard grades. Problem was I kept getting sacked. Got my Highers and went to university and got a degree. I am now firmly on the career ladder. Although until about a year ago, I still kept getting sacked. But i seem to have knocked that on the head now so it's onwards and upwards. Nine years ago I had f**k all, I'm now heading into a junior management job in the City of London in a couple of weeks. Life started to feel good after about 18 months though, so you don't have to wait nine years! And as the Slippery one has said above, you don't have to chase professional success, there are many other potentially rewarding paths.

Edited by Margaret Thatcher