Falkirk v St Mirren

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I actually thought all three of our subs today weakened us, and probably contributed to Falkirk looking the better team for most of the half.

Agreed. Magennis was never playing anymore than he did though and McGinn had an ice pack on his knee after going off.

I think the subs were more out of necessity.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Someone tell me about Kieran Dunne

Well, for a start it's Cieran. :P

He was one of the six young lads we signed from the Academy at the end of last season. None are automatic picks for the U20s, due not only to a number of first teamers getting game time there, but also the fact that we signed a couple of youths from Spartans & Hamilton. (Girdwood & Laverty). The younger boys are having to be patient.

A few of them look very good prospects and when he's on his game Dunne is a cracking wee player. Some have had more match time than others, but at the moment, from what I've seen of them, I'd say he currently looks the most exciting prospect. I thought he was superb at Montrose on Tuesday and I heard Hartley was impressed with his performance. He's a winger, as I'm sure you gathered from today.

I was a bit surprised that Hartley threw him in today but at the same time I was delighted. Not just for Cieran, but because it sends out a message out to all the young boys that if you have a stormer for the 20s then you have a chance of featuring for the first team on Saturday. I think Kris Faulds at Starks Park was the last youth player who that happened to. 

Based on that assumption, I wouldn't be surprised if Langton and Stowe were to get debuts this season. Langton destroyed Hibs a few weeks back at the Oriam and while Stowie can be inconsistent he's got bags of skill.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

If Reilly played against us I’d hate him.

He seems to play right on the edge when it comes to tussles with much bigger defenders and gets the benefit of the doubt most times.

Yet Sutton when he came on, despite looking like he was getting fouled constantly, never got a decision in his favour in all the time he was on the pitch.

I actually thought all three of our subs today weakened us, and probably contributed to Falkirk looking the better team for most of the half.

Magennis should have been replaced by Stelios to give some bite to a midfield where we were woeful today. And I would have had Stewart on ahead of Sutton to give us some running up front. Not much we could do about McGinn not being fit as we do not have a replacement good enough. The big issue today was with the midfield being so poor we punted high balls all second half whereas the strength of Smith, Reilly and Morgan is playing on the deck.

loy and sibbald watching from the main stand today. still surprised club haven't communicated what's happening there.

on the game itself thought we played quite well and surprised we made a much lauded top of the league side very ordinary indeed. if that's the best side in the league then if we get our act together quickly then we should be able to claw some positions back quickly. they seemed to settle for the point from the start and management team asking them to slow the game down at thrown ins etc very surprised at.

no real failures for me today mostly pretty positive despite not winning or scoring. at least now plenty of shots on goal. get a bit frustrated at Austin as he undoubtedly causes the opposition problems with his pace and awkward running style but his decision making and finishing still leaves a lot to be desired. finishing generally and final pass in 12 final yards was poor we just need some composure. thought defence and goalie strolled it today just frustrated we didn't nick it.

thought st mirrens corners were better worked than ours.

good crowd at over 5000 given we are near the bottom. thought ref was okay actually

16 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

It took him until half an hour to get past his man, then he hit a pathetic shot into the side netting. 'Could have hit it harder with my bunnet' my Granda would have said. He then missed the target with a header from three yards out.

He beat Buchanan a couple of times in the game, but he didnt get the better of Baird all day.

Lucky for us Loy wasn't playing.

He ran right past your right back who was particularly dire today at one point in the second half. Is he getting played out of position like our two?

2 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Well, for a start it's Cieran. :P

He was one of the six young lads we signed from the Academy at the end of last season. None are automatic picks for the U20s, due not only to a number of first teamers getting game time there, but also the fact that we signed a couple of youths from Spartans & Hamilton. (Girdwood & Laverty). The younger boys are having to be patient.

A few of them look very good prospects and when he's on his game Dunne is a cracking wee player. Some have had more match time than others, but at the moment, from what I've seen of them, I'd say he currently looks the most exciting prospect. I thought he was superb at Montrose on Tuesday and I heard Hartley was impressed with his performance. He's a winger, as I'm sure you gathered from today.

I was a bit surprised that Hartley threw him in today but at the same time I was delighted. Not just for Cieran, but because it sends out a message out to all the young boys that if you have a stormer for the 20s then you have a chance of featuring for the first team on Saturday. I think Kris Faulds at Starks Park was the last youth player who that happened to. 

Based on that assumption, I wouldn't be surprised if Langton and Stowe were to get debuts this season. Langton destroyed Hibs a few weeks back at the Oriam and while Stowie can be inconsistent he's got bags of skill.

The thing is, you don't know how good these players are till they are given a chance, youth games give them a grounding but playing with better and experienced players first team wise tells you more than any amount of youth games.

A gamble to do so at times and you got the rough and smooth today from Dunne, key point is he was better than Harris with his dig and hunger.

Our youth development had went backwards under Houston

He ran right past your right back who was particularly dire today at one point in the second half. Is he getting played out of position like our two?

Lewis Smith he's the Scotland u21 right back. He wasnt great today, not dreadful but not great.

If that's the only thing of note that Austin did then it's not going to change my assessment of his performance.

Certainly looks like goals will be Falkirk's problem, you need Loy back asap.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Lewis Smith he's the Scotland u21 right back. He wasnt great today, not dreadful but not great.

If that's the only thing of note that Austin did then it's not going to change my assessment of his performance.

We were linked to him during the close season. Think we dodged a bullet there. Austin wasn't great. Was getting past defenders easy but finishing was poor and his final ball. Lacking a bit of confidence after a good end to last season.

We were linked to him during the close season. Think we dodged a bullet there. Austin wasn't great. Was getting past defenders easy but finishing was poor and his final ball. Lacking a bit of confidence after a good end to last season.

Smith (Liam not Lewis as I said earlier) has been really good for us since coming in. He's only on loan, but I'd like to see him sign permanently.

4 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Scotland u21 cap(s) are usually bragging pub conversation once you are out the game and you will be known as that guy who played for St Mirren and played for Scotland u21 or lesser and ended up at Clyde.

It might get him his hole or a pint tho !!

A few big positives from today, Hartley made the right changes, at the right time and that hasn’t happened for a while. But more important was the inclusion of Dunne, he played really well in the development game and has been given his reward. Sends out a much needed message to the others. Added to this he grasped this chance and made a really positive contribution.

Although I’m disappointed not to get what I feel would have been a merited win, I think from a bigger picture point of view a few green shoots of recovery were encouraging.

37 minutes ago, PG.Colossus said:

Anyone actually know what’s up with Sibbs and Loy and when we can expect them back in the squad?

In hospitality today I was told Houston had £X to spend on 2 forwards  and used it up on Rory ,

Seems the rest of the players were unhappy, Hartley got rid of him before ,I can see it happening again to get him off the wage bill.

8 minutes ago, Young gun said:

In hospitality today I was told Houston had £X to spend on 2 forwards  and used it up on Rory ,

Seems the rest of the players were unhappy

You may have been told that but it's not true.

Were you one of the two St Mirren fans sitting at the top end of the room?

13 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Seems the rest of the players were unhappy, Hartley got rid of him before ,I can see it happening again to get him off the wage bill.

Did he? 

Archived