c***s on the road

On 28/02/2023 at 18:39, supermik said:

They were not a Cnut, but I was next to a Lamborghini today at some traffic lights. When I got home, I checked its reg plate to try and find out which model it was. Turns out it failed its mot today before passing a resit. It failed because its Tyre pressure monitoring system was defective. Thought that might have just been an advisory rather than the Major defect that it was classified as. It was a lovely looking Huracan but in a rather unappealing shade of Green.

Isn’t any warning light an automatic MOT fail?  Personally find it slightly strange that a car fitted with sensors can be failed if one fails but a car with none passes?   Anyway I heard a rumour if you reset the system before going for an MOT the light won’t come back on for a while and as a result the car will pass,  only a rumour mind, nothing to do with personal experience . . .

On 01/03/2023 at 00:20, TxRover said:

So this discussion of intersections and behaviors makes me wonder how British drivers react to right on red in the U.S.? Is Left on Red something that might gain any traction in the UK?

For those unclear, Right on Red is allowed unless a sign is posted prohibiting it nearly everywhere in the U.S., the exception being New York City (probably a pedestrian issue). The basic concept is a driver who has fully stopped at a red light may proceed to make a right turn when traffic safely allows it. All other traffic has right-of-way over the vehicle turning right on red, as do the rare pedestrians. There are a few locations where even a left on red is allowed, coming from a one way road onto another one way road, and a few dual right turn on red lanes as well.

No thanks, the vast majority of drivers in this country are entitled c***s who would just go if it was clear or not, between them and pensioners that still can't navigate roundabouts despite driving for many years it'd be absolute carnage. 

On 01/03/2023 at 00:20, TxRover said:

So this discussion of intersections and behaviors makes me wonder how British drivers react to right on red in the U.S.? Is Left on Red something that might gain any traction in the UK?

For those unclear, Right on Red is allowed unless a sign is posted prohibiting it nearly everywhere in the U.S., the exception being New York City (probably a pedestrian issue). The basic concept is a driver who has fully stopped at a red light may proceed to make a right turn when traffic safely allows it. All other traffic has right-of-way over the vehicle turning right on red, as do the rare pedestrians. There are a few locations where even a left on red is allowed, coming from a one way road onto another one way road, and a few dual right turn on red lanes as well.

I wouldnt mind a change to allow cyclists to go left on red, if safe to do so, and no green man.

The problem with allowing cars to do it is that some will just turn anyway and kill a pedestrian (certainly based on the radges driving in Edinburgh).

36 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

I wouldnt mind a change to allow cyclists to go left on red, if safe to do so, and no green man.

The problem with allowing cars to do it is that some will just turn anyway and kill a pedestrian (certainly based on the radges driving in Edinburgh).

There's the issue - as I said in my previous post we have the 'turn right on red' rule where I am at some lights but it's dangerous for many reasons, not least of which is most drivers think pedestrians don't belong on roads period. I don't think cyclists are any more considerate.

8 minutes ago, hk blues said:

There's the issue - as I said in my previous post we have the 'turn right on red' rule where I am at some lights but it's dangerous for many reasons, not least of which is most drivers think pedestrians don't belong on roads period. I don't think cyclists are any more considerate.

Yeah, I wasnt really thinking about if cyclists were more or less considerate (as we are not !), but rather that allowing a "left on red" means some cyclists can move away from a junction before cars/trucks which takes away a lot of the danger to those on bikes.

Probably a moot point as it wont be introduced anyway.

5 hours ago, Empty It said:

No thanks, the vast majority of drivers in this country are entitled c***s who would just go if it was clear or not, between them and pensioners that still can't navigate roundabouts despite driving for many years it'd be absolute carnage. 

Having driven in both countries, and knowing the requirements for a Driver License in each, I find it amusing the people still aver that UK drivers are worse. While the requirements for youth DL’s in the U.S. has (mildly) advanced over the years, once you turn 18 a DL can be had nearly as easily as getting it in a box of breakfast cereal.

On 02/03/2023 at 23:10, TxRover said:

Having driven in both countries, and knowing the requirements for a Driver License in each, I find it amusing the people still aver that UK drivers are worse. While the requirements for youth DL’s in the U.S. has (mildly) advanced over the years, once you turn 18 a DL can be had nearly as easily as getting it in a box of breakfast cereal.

Sounds harder than getting a gun licence.

On 02/03/2023 at 12:40, TxRover said:

mclovin.jpg.9f3ead9d5148f3cef4e004b3980fd29c.jpg

Folk parking in disabled bays is bad. 

Folk parking in disabled bays at hospital are worse. 

Today I saw 2 nurses get into their cars parked in the disabled bays at Forth Valley and drive off. Neither had blue badges. Parked nice and close to the front door, while I am pushing an elderly, extremely ill man a huge distance across the car park in a wheelchair, whilst the freezing cold wind is attacking his chest. 

They might be nurses, and I have always said it's a job I couldn't do. But these were women in their 20s. Why not park in the staff car park and walk round?