c***s on the road

I used to drive very long distances up and down the motorways down south (M1, M4, M5, M6, M25, M40 and M42) and never ever felt comfortable using cruise control even if those journeys were in the middle of the night and the roads were quiet.

Some computer assisted driving software is beneficial but cruise control is a no-no for me.

Aye fck that. Only used it 2 or 3 times in the past 6 years and not for that long. Personally don't like not having my foot on th gas, the reaction time to braking is much more.

3 hours ago, Wacky said:

Cruise should switch off automatically if the wipers go on. Even if you wash the window. You’ll learn quickly enough that this will happen and drive accordingly. 

You realise that means these fuckwits just wouldn't use their wipers then?

33 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

I've never used cruise control in my life. It can only be of use on an empty motorway at 3am or you'd be constantly undoing it every 2 minutes.

The big problem is adaptive cruise control. Gives the non-drivers an opportunity to set it at 80mph in rain, hail or shine. It will slow down when you catch someone then be at full throttle when they aren't, which is wonderful for car control when you've no idea when it's going to go! 

17 minutes ago, Spyro said:

The big problem is adaptive cruise control. Gives the non-drivers an opportunity to set it at 80mph in rain, hail or shine. It will slow down when you catch someone then be at full throttle when they aren't, which is wonderful for car control when you've no idea when it's going to go! 

ACC is great. Lets me read P&B in safety as I'm doing 70. 

I wouldn’t have a car without cruise control. Makes a massive difference to fatigue levels when driving any sort of distance. You only have to disengage it regularly if you’re not paying attention to what’s ahead, read the road and you can do all of your adjustments on the steering wheel without ever disengaging it. 

Cruise Control is perfectly fine, if you pay attention. 

Example, M74,  get past Hamilton/Motherwell going south, pick your speed, off you go. Change lanes where appropriate, and in plenty of time and it's fine. 

Where it gets weird is when you realise that's the third time you've passed the same tit in a SUV who blasted past you, then slowed right down again in front of you, and is glaring at you. 

Anyone who lives here knows that the junction off Burdiehouse Road going into Straiton is often rammed.

image.thumb.png.142fe13a6b8860d00c1884d4260224fd.pngIt was busy yesterday as I came down the Lang Loan, turning to join the queue. A HIAB truck was coming round the roundabout  from my right (arrowed from the right above) and - as soon as I pulled into the traffic - put his foot down flashed his lights and leant on the horn.

"obviously a dickhead" I thought, and as I was actually in the lane and in the queue, and just carried on inching forward.

This absolute walloper then drove up my inside (using the bypass off ramp, verge and the checked area I marked in red), and turned his wheel my way - basically, he was pushing me out of the inside lane (thankfully the guy on the outside spotted it and had held back and I zoomed in).

The bampots truck was unmarked, so nobody to complain to - but it was a bit scary, no sure someone like my 80 yo mum would have been able to manoeuvre away quick enough.

He was kinda behind and next to me in the queue and, looking in the mirror, seemed totally oblivious - wtf gives with these people?

An absolute COTR

2 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Anyone who lives here knows that the junction off Burdiehouse Road going into Straiton is often rammed.

image.thumb.png.142fe13a6b8860d00c1884d4260224fd.pngIt was busy yesterday as I came down the Lang Loan, turning to join the queue. A HIAB truck was coming round the roundabout  from my right (arrowed from the right above) and - as soon as I pulled into the traffic - put his foot down flashed his lights and leant on the horn.

"obviously a dickhead" I thought, and as I was actually in the lane and in the queue, and just carried on inching forward.

This absolute walloper then drove up my inside (using the bypass off ramp, verge and the checked area I marked in red), and turned his wheel my way - basically, he was pushing me out of the inside lane (thankfully the guy on the outside spotted it and had held back and I zoomed in).

The bampots truck was unmarked, so nobody to complain to - but it was a bit scary, no sure someone like my 80 yo mum would have been able to manoeuvre away quick enough.

He was kinda behind and next to me in the queue and, looking in the mirror, seemed totally oblivious - wtf gives with these people?

An absolute COTR

The proximity of the bypass on-ramp to Lang Loan exit onto the r'about can make it a tricky manouevre sometimes. A little bit of local knowledge is handy here.

I've just seen and heard an Aston Martin roaring down the Mound. If you need a roaring exhaust on one of them you're trying to compensate for more than just a wee willie.

2 minutes ago, Dan Steele said:

I've just seen and heard an Aston Martin roaring down the Mound. If you need a roaring exhaust on one of them you're trying to compensate for more than just a wee willie.

Was his number plate B16TAJ by any chance? There's a belter of a video on YouTube with one of these specimens kicking about

41 minutes ago, Spyro said:

Was his number plate B16TAJ by any chance? There's a belter of a video on YouTube with one of these specimens kicking about

I didn't catch it. Mind you, the air traffic boys at the airport probably didn't either.

1 hour ago, Dan Steele said:

Was it a green one?  Last year in Edinburgh, a guy just drove round and round St Andrews Square making as much noise with his car as possible.  Sad case.