c***s on the road

Got a location in mind as an example of this?
Because in most cases if the cyclist is in to the side of the road you can pass them and there is enough room for cars to pass in the opposite direction as well.

Maybe they prefer the roads?
Well they may well do. But you can see why motorists would get upset that a cyclist would prefer the road when there is a smoother and safer alternative that has cost quite a lot of money, whilst simultaneously causing a large tail back behind them including buses which people may be relying to get to work etc. I generally don't have somewhere to be when I'm on those roads but I can understand why some folk might be frustrated.

I've never heard the traffic report say that large tailbacks are being caused by cyclists ever. 

I think I have maybe only ever been "stuck" behind a cyclist for a minute at most.

I've never heard the traffic report say that large tailbacks are being caused by cyclists ever. 
I think I have maybe only ever been "stuck" behind a cyclist for a minute at most.
That's quite surprising TBH. The Culross Road in particular is usually quite busy with tourists etc but there is little to zero visibility round most of the corners so you can be there for a wee while, especially if you aren't the first car. Like I say, not a big problem for me most times.

Cyclists often complain about a lack of proper infrastructure and dedicated space, so when it is actually provided and then not used, of course people are going to be annoyed. It's a waste of money if doesn't get used. 

There's a cycle lane here that's like that, which leads into town and is never used. However the blame in this instance is with the council, who were awarded some sort of grant for a cycle lane and decided this was the best place for it. Not only is it an indirect route into town, but you have to cycle up a very steep hill as well in both directions. They ignored the more direct route which admittedly has a steep incline away from town, but is downhill towards it. The direct route is also a wider road so is also safer. 

It would be useful if both cyclists and drivers were aware that the pavement is primarily for pedestrians. Twice at the weekend there I was out with the pram and was nearly wiped out by cyclists flying down the pavement, and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It would be useful if both cyclists and drivers were aware that the pavement is primarily for pedestrians. Twice at the weekend there I was out with the pram and was nearly wiped out by cyclists flying down the pavement, and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

swift elbows and a set of keys are your friends here

2 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

swift elbows and a set of keys are your friends here

I always make an effort to squeeze the pram through these gaps, to the extent that my wife sometimes asks why my daughter has bits of hedge on her hair.

Edited by craigkillie

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I always make an effort to squeeze the pram through these gaps, to the extent that my wife sometimes asks why my daughter has bits of hedge on her hair.

When she starts asking why she has flakes of paint in her hair your doing it right.

9 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Got a location in mind as an example of this?

Queens Park, Edinburgh.

There is a little used cycle track painted a nice shade of green next to the roadway that the lycra clad wankers insist on using.

I was just thinking today that about 90% of the bad/ignorant cycling I see is done by men funnily enough. Gaun the burdz!

Edited by tamthebam
Spellung

Dedicated cycle paths are usually in shite nick. The ones around here are inferior to the actual roads (which aren't great in the first place), so I'll almost always use the road. Cycle lanes are equally pointless, usually rough as f**k plus folk park their cars on them anyway.

I'll usually move across nearer the pavement to make a pass easier for a following driver, if they behave like a c**t (pretty rare round here tbf) I won't. Even then we're only taking a few seconds delay. Except of course on a long climb/single track road which can be fun when you've got a c**t in an TT following you [emoji23]

Thank me later Screenshot_20210427-074913_Chrome.jpeg

Near where I stay there is a tight bend on a fairly steep hill and it usually has a few cars parked in it meaning you have to go round the corner without seeing what's coming, who do you grass this to, is it the council as it should really have double yellow lines.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

This pisses me off. My wife is in an electric wheelchair and often can't get past cars and vans parked on the pavement. A few years ago, she spent hours getting ready to go into town on her own but halfway there she was blocked by someone parked at a dropped kerb. She went back and forward looking for a way past and hoping the driver would appear but gave up and came home in floods of tears.  It really knocked her confidence and it was a long time before she went out on her own again. Thing is, I bet the driver was totally oblivious to what they'd done by parking like a w****r. 

Because in most cases if the cyclist is in to the side of the road you can pass them and there is enough room for cars to pass in the opposite direction as well.
I would think you are not giving cyclists enough room if you are doing that. Certainly the majority of roads near me wouldn't afford enough space to do this.

This pisses me off. My wife is in an electric wheelchair and often can't get past cars and vans parked on the pavement. A few years ago, she spent hours getting ready to go into town on her own but halfway there she was blocked by someone parked at a dropped kerb. She went back and forward looking for a way past and hoping the driver would appear but gave up and came home in floods of tears.  It really knocked her confidence and it was a long time before she went out on her own again. Thing is, I bet the driver was totally oblivious to what they'd done by parking like a w****r. 
That's the sort of thing you'd expect most people to hear and maybe consider how they park when in reality most people would just have the attitude of "where else am I meant to park". Parking at a dropped kerb is the most cuntish of behaviour and people only do it because they dont want to walk the length of themselves.

Shite street parking winds me up no end. It’s unreal how many people will park right beside a junction and block the view just because they can’t be bothered having to walk an extra 10-20 yards when they get out.

2 hours ago, 101 said:

Near where I stay there is a tight bend on a fairly steep hill and it usually has a few cars parked in it meaning you have to go round the corner without seeing what's coming, who do you grass this to, is it the council as it should really have double yellow lines.

Torch ‘em.

14 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Shite street parking winds me up no end. It’s unreal how many people will park right beside a junction and block the view just because they can’t be bothered having to walk an extra 10-20 yards when they get out.

Just basic ignorance of the highway code like you say to save themselves 2 seconds walking, or more frustratingly to save using their drive way.

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

That's horrible.