c***s on the road

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

It would be useful if both cyclists and drivers were aware that the pavement is primarily for pedestrians. Twice at the weekend there I was out with the pram and was nearly wiped out by cyclists flying down the pavement, and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

14 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I always make an effort to squeeze the pram through these gaps, to the extent that my wife sometimes asks why my daughter has bits of hedge on her hair.

as was previously said, yer squeezing past the wrong side. I fucking hate motors that are parked too far on the pavement. I also make sure I squeeze past. 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

This pisses me off. My wife is in an electric wheelchair and often can't get past cars and vans parked on the pavement. A few years ago, she spent hours getting ready to go into town on her own but halfway there she was blocked by someone parked at a dropped kerb. She went back and forward looking for a way past and hoping the driver would appear but gave up and came home in floods of tears.  It really knocked her confidence and it was a long time before she went out on her own again. Thing is, I bet the driver was totally oblivious to what they'd done by parking like a w****r. 

That is horrible & upsets me yer wife got upset too. . I hope she ok eventually. 

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

This pisses me off. My wife is in an electric wheelchair and often can't get past cars and vans parked on the pavement. A few years ago, she spent hours getting ready to go into town on her own but halfway there she was blocked by someone parked at a dropped kerb. She went back and forward looking for a way past and hoping the driver would appear but gave up and came home in floods of tears.  It really knocked her confidence and it was a long time before she went out on her own again. Thing is, I bet the driver was totally oblivious to what they'd done by parking like a w****r. 

This is horrible. It's the sort of thing I wouldn't have necessarily thought about before I was out with the pram, but it really pisses me off now.

I would think you are not giving cyclists enough room if you are doing that. Certainly the majority of roads near me wouldn't afford enough space to do this.
I give them plenty of room (see my original message about the limits I go to to make sure!) but a lot of the time they are in fact right in and I can pass them as well as leaving room for cars in the other way. It may be we have slightly wider roads or the fact it's only a wee Mirage I drive.

I have a driveway at 90 degrees to the narrow road I live on. The amount of inconsiderate feckers who park on the opposite side of the road outside my drive is mind blowing. Literally means you cannot reverse the car out without a 58 point turn. The amount of stupid p***k notes I have left under wiper blades is clearly not working well enough.

I have a driveway at 90 degrees to the narrow road I live on. The amount of inconsiderate feckers who park on the opposite side of the road outside my drive is mind blowing. Literally means you cannot reverse the car out without a 58 point turn. The amount of stupid p***k notes I have left under wiper blades is clearly not working well enough.

Do you have a towbar fitted? Obvs I'm not suggesting that the affixation of such an item would mean that you could quite safely (and gently) reverse into one of these c***s, leaving little, if any evidence whatsoever.

1 hour ago, superbigal said:

Snap the wipers off. 

Tyres have easily accessible valves for a reason...

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

The amount of stupid p***k notes I have left under wiper blades is clearly not working well enough.

My sister leaves a note saying "There's a HUGE spider in your car, I saw it running across your dashboard".

On 26/04/2021 at 21:15, craigkillie said:

It would be useful if both cyclists and drivers were aware that the pavement is primarily for pedestrians. Twice at the weekend there I was out with the pram and was nearly wiped out by cyclists flying down the pavement, and meanwhile it is a constant battle to squeeze past all the cars who park more or less all the way on to the pavement. Ban the lot of them.

Absolute this, it's amazing how angry you can get at being unable to squeeze past parked cars/vans while trying not to go up and down too many pavements and risk waking the wean. I don't think I ever appreciated how annoying this was until the wee yin arrived. 

There was a guy down the hill from me who parked his van across the pavement on a tight corner. Like others above, I didn't consider this as a major inconvenience until I had a buggy to push.

The irony being he worked for a company with "BRANDNAME ROAD SAFETY" emblazoned on their vans.

So rather than steering my infant child into a blind corner on the road, I began pushing my buggy over his flowers and lawn until he got the message. His grass was quite boggy so I made quite an impression (boom boom) . He cottoned on eventually and began parking in the layby about 25 yards away. A small win.

My other recollection of that guy is that every single recycling day his wee red box was absolutely overflowing with cans of T. Dozens in there every week. Only ever T.

I like a T as much as the next man, but clearly not as much as this road safety man. It gave me a slightly nauseous feeling when I walked past it.

Anyway I have left that street now and my buggy rallying days are over, but it has definitely taught me an important lesson around accessibility.

I live towards the open end of quite a long but narrow cul de sac which has a new primary school at the bottom of it, a building site for about 50 houses and a new school building around the primary school site and about half the road dug up and cordoned off to replace iron mains by gas engineers that haven't been back for a fortnight. 

I am furious before i've gone ten yards almost every single day. 

14 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I live towards the open end of quite a long but narrow cul de sac which has a new primary school at the bottom of it, a building site for about 50 houses and a new school building around the primary school site and about half the road dug up and cordoned off to replace iron mains by gas engineers that haven't been back for a fortnight. 

I am furious before i've gone ten yards almost every single day. 

Wouldn't phoning Transco or whoever and say there is a strong smell of gas eminating from the hole (steady Kenneth) provoke some sort of action?

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Wouldn't phoning Transco or whoever and say there is a strong smell of gas eminating from the hole (steady Kenneth) provoke some sort of action?

A man would be despatched immediately with a clipboard and a form for me to fill in. 

On 27/04/2021 at 13:41, superbigal said:

Get some vague mechanical expertise.

Some fanny blocked our garage door at my work "nipping" into a shop one morning, and mysteriously found his car in a different position and requiring two handbrake cables.

Either that or buy some decent jacks from Halfords or that, one at the front, one at the back, then push.