Irn Bru

Hadn't drank Irn Bru for a while and got a shock when I bought a 2 litre bottle of it yesterday. ****ing minging. Sweetness totally lost and leaves a metallic after taste. Noticed they cut out over half of the sugar and replaced it with cancer inducing aspartame. Won't be buying again until I rediscover the real stuff.

Barr must keep a massive backstock if sales are up and there's still plenty of the old recipe to be found in shops.

It's a comforting thought that there'll still be plenty of Bru to get us through the coming nuclear apocalypse.

1 minute ago, thistledo said:

Tried to buy a couple of 24 packs off a guy on Gumtree the other day (I know how ridiculous this sounds) but he was sold out. Absolute gutter. 

I am reliably informed they are still selling the old stuff at Kebab Mahal. :P

On 13/04/2018 at 02:17, BawWatchin said:

Hadn't drank Irn Bru for a while and got a shock when I bought a 2 litre bottle of it yesterday. ****ing minging. Sweetness totally lost and leaves a metallic after taste. Noticed they cut out over half of the sugar and replaced it with cancer inducing aspartame. Won't be buying again until I rediscover the real stuff.

I'm not a big consumer of aspatame, but at risk of opening a can of worms here,  there's very little proof of a link with cancer (or much else) tbf :  

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html 

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/the-truth-about-aspartame.aspx

If you're particularly concerned about correlations between common drinks and health issues then you'd probably be best cutting out alcohol before anything else.  ;)

Edited by Hedgecutter

Just now, Hedgecutter said:

I'm not a big consumer of aspatame, but at risk of opening a can of worms here,  there's very little proof of a link with cancer tbf :  https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

Aspartame isn't supposed to be consumed. The body treats it as foreign and attacks it. Problem there is that because the liver is working hard to remove the foreign substance, it uses up resources it needs to take care of normal bodily functions. The immune system lets it's guard down and the body is open to a whole host of complications.

13 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Aspartame isn't supposed to be consumed. The body treats it as foreign and attacks it. Problem there is that because the liver is working hard to remove the foreign substance, it uses up resources it needs to take care of normal bodily functions. The immune system lets it's guard down and the body is open to a whole host of complications.

A fair climb-down from 'cancer inducing' then.  As I edited my last post to highlight, the same can be said about alcohol as well as a million different things you probably consume most weeks.

Anyway, back on topic: I've not touched Irn Bru for a few weeks now.  Nothing out of protest but simply because there are better things to buy now since they ruined it.  Their Cream Soda is no half bad though (although undoubtedly filled to the brim with sweeteners).

Edited by Hedgecutter

22 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

A fair climb-down from 'cancer inducing' then.  As I edited my last post to highlight, the same can be said about alcohol as well as a million different things you probably consume most weeks.

What difference does it make? It can indirectly trigger the activation of cancer cells within the body. "Diet" isn't the health beneficiary that it's sold as.