A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 07/08/2020 at 18:41, Flybhoy said:

Sir Fergie of Govan has a swig from a bottle of bubbly whilst St Mirren manager, I'm sure some older posters can name the player next to him.

Mental to think St Mirren actually sacked the guy who went on to be the most successful manager of the modern era. 

IMG_20200803_101155.jpg

I'm sure he later said he'd already agreed to join Aberdeen when St Mirren sacked him.

On 07/08/2020 at 18:41, Flybhoy said:

Sir Fergie of Govan has a swig from a bottle of bubbly whilst St Mirren manager, I'm sure some older posters can name the player next to him.

Mental to think St Mirren actually sacked the guy who went on to be the most successful manager of the modern era. 

IMG_20200803_101155.jpg

They were a very good team. Is that the season they won promotion? They drew Motherwell in the Scottish Cup and there was huge hype about that game. I went with my Dad to Fir Park to watch it, cos he'd heard so much about how good St Mirren were, the crowd was big (maybe close to 20,000) and there was a great atmosphere.

Motherwell were brutal and kicked St Mirren black and blue.

Craig Brown was Motherwell assistant at the time I think, and was on the radio recently, chuckling away at his memory of his pre-match instructions which were, in essence, "make sure you kick them black and blue". 

Any Saints fans have similar memories of this game?

Motherwell fans probably recall it as a typically robust performance and routine victory from their 70s team 😆

5 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

They were a very good team. Is that the season they won promotion? They drew Motherwell in the Scottish Cup and there was huge hype about that game. I went with my Dad to Fir Park to watch it, cos he'd heard so much about how good St Mirren were, the crowd was big (maybe close to 20,000) and there was a great atmosphere.

Motherwell were brutal and kicked St Mirren black and blue.

Craig Brown was Motherwell assistant at the time I think, and was on the radio recently, chuckling away at his memory of his pre-match instructions which were, in essence, "make sure you kick them black and blue". 

Any Saints fans have similar memories of this game?

Motherwell fans probably recall it as a typically robust performance and routine victory from their 70s team 😆

Yep, that's exactly what happened, dirty b*****ds.

Crowd was 26709

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1976&GameID=197702260

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wow! I guess a fair number of those would have been interested neutrals like us (not really 🤪) .

Although I recall that there were so many St Mirren fans there that crowd where we were was fairly mixed. No trouble though, even as the lads from Paisley let their views be known on the home team's rather physical approach.

"Dirty b*****ds" for example.

4 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Wow! I guess a fair number of those would have been interested neutrals like us (not really 🤪) .

Although I recall that there were so many St Mirren fans there that crowd where we were was fairly mixed. No trouble though, even as the lads from Paisley let their views be known on the home team's rather physical approach.

"Dirty b*****ds" for example.

33,000 of them were StMirren fans

2 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It's good to know that 43 years later St. Mirren fans don't still hold a grudge - it seems to get raised every time we play them. I'm sure Fergie's autobiography gives it a mention as well.

I guess you guys made a big impression that day.

Especially with Gregor Stevens' studs 🤭