A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

4 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Coincidence indeed! So much so that you just notified me that Scott Brown had retired, I really pay so little attention to the top leagues these days.

Would definitely recommend you skip the Lowland League and visit some of the delights further down the pyramid. Millburn Park is a gem from a bygone era, no better place to start.

I am mostly continuing my boycott of the Lowland League. This season I've only been to games at Edinburgh Uni, Dalbeattie and Bonnyrigg, three of the "good guys" who voted against the Colts. Will get to the other two (Civil Service and Bo'ness) eventually and that will be as far as I'm prepared to go this season.

Will be watching the vote for next season with interest. 93efea6b1fd8f4ea3b5fe74dbdb4e1c3.jpg

Sorry, I got Vale of Leven mixed up with Vale of Leithen.

I've been doing the English FA Cup sequence this season which has taken most of my time (and money), starting at the extra-preliminary in Penrith, I follow the winners of each round. My last match was at Southampton (Wednesday night vs West Ham) but I went to Weymouth on the following Saturday.

I'm attracted to having a go at the North Caledonian League. I've done Tain St Duthus and Loch Ness but that was during Covid.

66 years ago today...

Monday 12th March 1956
British Olympic Appeal international
Scotland 2-1 Anglo-South Africa

at Ibrox, Glasgow     60,000

History books will tell you that Scotland first encountered Africans in the shape of Zaire at WC 1970 in West Germany, and didn't host a team from that continent until Egypt came to Pittodrie in 1990. However this unofficial match to help fund the British Olympic team for Melbourne 1956 bordered on a full international in all but name, the visitors being the cream of South African talent playing outside their home country - including Rangers pair Don Kichenbrand and Johnny Hubbard.

First half goals from Lawrie Reilly and Bobby Collins were enough to suppress a spirited South African side, who halved the deficit with a late Hubbard penalty. With no Rangers player starting for Scotland much of the Ibrox crowd backed the Springboks. It was all in a good cause too as a large attendance raised £8,000 to fund the Olympians travel and acccomodation down under.

Some novelty facts: there were no match fees - Olympic spirit being amateur - so the winners instead received "beautiful tartan rugs". Scotland wore British Olympic red and South Africa their traditional green. HT entertainment was provided by the Womens Royal Auxiliary Corps.

John Hewie had previously been capped by Scotland B - despite never having previously set foot north of the border (his parents were Scottish but he was born in Pretoria); then represented South Africa in this game; and played well enough to earn himself a full Scotland cap against England the following month, going on to have a fine international career.

img661.thumb.jpg.ec76c3957f193c7f49320586304a5d23.jpg

img664.thumb.jpg.c1df44b2951aaa82e7b91b25dcaa406f.jpgimg667.thumb.jpg.e5ad39a96115fc897e6c301992182fa2.jpg

img662.thumb.jpg.10f3b3417ad67a6bce09cf938a8b2225.jpgimg663.thumb.jpg.d09eef1b40649a7df6cf8c53bb8e4918.jpg

On 12/03/2022 at 13:37, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

First visit today to Millburn Park, Alexandria. Home of Vale of Leven FC.

10th most Scottish Cup Final appearances (seven). Three wins, four defeats. Last final was 1890, but never say never...

Sixth most wins, i.e. same number of cup wins as Hibs, Killie, St Mirren and Clyde.

Founder member of the SFL in 1890.

Delighted to make it here finally.

ea73235df9996311253b8fb69cb7b69d.jpgec6179dbdc6cfc40d76836ef79b61194.jpg

In the valley, the lovely vaaaa-leeeeyyy, where the Leee-Ven flows....

15 years ago today...

Tuesday 13th March 2007
European Celebration Match
Manchester United 4-3 Rest of Europe

at Old Trafford, Manchester     74,343

Sir Alex Ferguson lead Manchester United to victory in this special match commemorating 50 years of the EEC, which the UK didn't actually join until 1973.

Sadly no Scot made it into a star-studded Europe side.

Rooney's brace, Brown and Ronaldo's stunner for the hosts; Malouda and Diouf's double for the visitors.

image.png.c9a2b3401e1c25472b1a0bd456cf17f1.png     s-l400.jpg     image.png.261e73f1c07cbf67081e3d671315d709.png

1_GettyImages-73568330.jpg

168561.bin?quality=50&width=640&auto=web

I0000ozoGi2lkH4Q.jpg

europe_x1.jpg

DcdgghvW4AE1TP_.jpg

2028076-42557007-2560-1440.jpg

Edited by HibeeJibee

On 13/03/2022 at 16:42, Piquet said:

From a "Big Match Revisited" on ITV4. 1st Feb 1980. George Best top left scoring for Hibs v Celtic. 

Obviously it was deemed that there was no colour clash!!

IMG_20220313_162744.jpg

I was born in 1976 and from as long as I can remember, Celtic and Hibs wore their regular kits in matches against one another nearly all the time up until the late 1980's when replica kit sales, aided with increased television coverage was a factor, several cup finals between the sides in the 60's and 70's played with no change kits.

Celtic started using a yellow change kit at Easter Road around 1987 but, bizarrely Hibs still wore their regular kit at Celtic Park for a few years after that, I recall this in a 1-1 draw at Celtic Park in February 1990, that may have been the last time this occurred in the fixture I.e both sides wearing the first choice kits.

9 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

I was born in 1976 and from as long as I can remember, Celtic and Hibs wore their regular kits in matches against one another nearly all the time up until the late 1980's when replica kit sales, aided with increased television coverage was a factor, several cup finals between the sides in the 60's and 70's played with no change kits.

Celtic started using a yellow change kit at Easter Road around 1987 but, bizarrely Hibs still wore their regular kit at Celtic Park for a few years after that, I recall this in a 1-1 draw at Celtic Park in February 1990, that may have been the last time this occurred in the fixture I.e both sides wearing the first choice kits.

I have never really seen much of a problem with Celtic and Hibs wearing their home strips (like in that photo). 

I am a few years older than you and its the same for most matches of my youth - both teams wearing their "normal" kit and nobody really had much of an issue with it.

Walter Smith having a chat with the referee at a wintry Celtic Park in December 1973 as Dundee United drew 3-3 with the home side, these days they wouldn't even bother with a pitch inspection for a day like that although, with the advent of under soil heating conditions like that are more easily overcome. 

IMG_20220317_204840.jpg

On 18/02/2022 at 00:38, HibeeJibee said:

64 years ago today...

Monday 17th February 1958
Representative match
Rangers 1-1 Scotland

at Ibrox, Glasgow     60,000

Scotland continued their World Cup build-up with a club-v-country game against the Scottish champions, but only drew before a partisan crowd largely backing the Govan men. Max Murray put their favourites ahead after 5mins - Jackie Mudie of Blackpool struck Scotland's equaliser 12mins later. Eric Caldow faced his own employers.

img554.thumb.jpg.db7b6135b904de1c6df69945e027ca74.jpg

img556.thumb.jpg.c7818776586f4a8f09f780661eb17b32.jpg

img557.thumb.jpg.e4e2b2912718bc45b76edfbb28508a34.jpg

Gary Imlach’s  biography of his father Stewart Imlach, My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes, won the William Hill Sports Book of the Year (2005)

15 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Reminds me of a picture in "The Football Grounds of Great Britain" book where an end terrace at Roker Park was constructed in a similar design, albeit with reinforced concrete instead of wood.

Roker Park, Sunderland, 1967 | An aerial view of Roker Park … | Flickr

That is a cracking photo of Roker Park. I never knew the open terrace had been built like that, just assumed that it would be the traditional mound that had been created with ash terrace and then later concreted over.

Do you know if the structure was always able to be viewed like that or was it filled in to look more substantial?

This is another angle of the terrace, showing the 'gap' through which the spectators fell. 

Archibald Leitch designed the terrace but despite this, he had a long, successful career. Among his designs were Ibrox, Roker and Goodison. They all shared his "Saltire" facing on the front of the top deck of the stand. 

imageproxy.jpeg

Edited by Piquet
Typo