A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

On 25/03/2022 at 23:10, tamthebam said:

396990308_ibroxdisaster.thumb.jpg.a1819f89a3ad3ecbda10836552f0ad6b.jpg

It was a wooden terrace, made of substandard wood, that gave way. 

When you look at it with modern eyes you think "there's no way I'd have stood on that" 

Man ... that just beggars belief ...crazy, just crazy ...

23 hours ago, ScottyDee1893 said:

That is a cracking photo of Roker Park. I never knew the open terrace had been built like that, just assumed that it would be the traditional mound that had been created with ash terrace and then later concreted over.

Do you know if the structure was always able to be viewed like that or was it filled in to look more substantial?

I don't know if it was ever "tidied up". It was a venue used in the 1966 World Cup so it's possible.

Here's another picture of the outside from the official safc website.

Screenshot_20220327-145340_Adblock Browser.jpg

Edited by Arch Stanton

20 hours ago, Piquet said:

Archibald Leitch designed the terrace but despite this, he had a long, successful career. Among his designs were Ibrox, Roker and Goodison. They all shared his "Saltire" facing on the front of the top deck of the stand. 

Dens Park's main stand is a Leitch design as well. Besides having pillars, I always felt that it was a good design, necks wouldn't have to be strained to the same extent to see both goals. Think this is the 50's, trams stopped running in 1956.

27616353_DensPak50s.jpg.ded6796290567c2e9e05fdb174fccd72.jpg

Below is a photo supposedly from 1947, busy looking Dens Park and Dens Road.

778361807_Denstramoutside1947maybe.thumb.jpg.3d2c39d425a475a465005c03d7acc09b.jpg

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

On 27/03/2022 at 14:51, Arch Stanton said:

I don't know if it was ever "tidied up". It was a venue used in the 1966 World Cup so it's possible.

Here's another picture of the outside from the official safc website.

Screenshot_20220327-145340_Adblock Browser.jpg

I was there (the Roker End) around 1994 and I can’t remember seeing this. Nor going up those staircases - I would have remembered that. Looking up the Simon Inglis book it seemed that the concrete supports were condemned in 1982 and the terrace was reduced from 17000-odd to 8000. It’s not clear whether it was demolished. Maybe @Roker Rover will know.

5 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

A fine document. Playing on Christmas Day and then the 1st and 2nd of January! See thon wimps playing today moaning about 2 games a week...

The Dons played Christmas Day, 29th December and 1st, 2nd & 5th January.

2 hours ago, House Bartender said:

A fine document. Playing on Christmas Day and then the 1st and 2nd of January! See thon wimps playing today moaning about 2 games a week...

3 home games too. The Glasgow Football League strikes again... 😏

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Noticed the kick offs are all 2pm. Was that the norm year round back then or just during the winter months due to floodlights not being a thing? If the former when did the move to 3pm happen in the SFL?

The Devil's Illumination was not a big thing in the East of Scotland League when I first started supporting Edinburgh City in 1995. In August it was 2.30 kick offs, then 2 o'clock when the clocks went back and in the depths of winter it was 1.15 or 1.30 kick offs. 

In December you'd get into the pub after the match and be pished by the time the Scottish League full times came on the telly! 

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Queen's Park's first ever programme Image 1 - Queens Park v Aberdeen 25th Dec 1945  Scottish League Div 1, 1st Official IssueImage 2 - Queens Park v Aberdeen 25th Dec 1945  Scottish League Div 1, 1st Official Issue  

Queen's 3 Aberdeen 1

Take R.Brown in goal for Queen’s Park is Bobby Brown one time St Johnstone and Scotland manager and the Dons right back would be Doug Cowie who moved to Dundee?

Interesting to see that at the Adelphi it was dine and wine.

2 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

3 home games too. The Glasgow Football League strikes again... 😏

I'm guessing the programme only lists home games (on its cover, anyway) and there was at least one other game between Christmas and New Year. Was Boxing Day a bank holiday in those days?

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I'm guessing the programme only lists home games (on its cover, anyway) and there was at least one other game between Christmas and New Year. Was Boxing Day a bank holiday in those days?

Boxing Day wasn’t a Scottish thing In I’d say Christmas Day wasn’t a holiday for most of Scotland until the late 60’s/early 70’s.