A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

From the days when a top English team would send a full strength side up here for a half arsed friendly on FA Cup weekend, just to give them a game because both sides were out of their respective cups, St Mirren v Arsenal, 15th Feb 1981.

File0015wtmk.jpg.cb1c33f79a4e579c82bb450ba98dbdb0.jpg

File0014wtmk.jpg.6c065c131bfd9bf618b4d45e00c55fbd.jpg

App0004wtmk.jpg.96d3a0c32734dc020a1789c55002218a.jpg

App0005wtmk.jpg.986967e21b9322cbdc86678cfcb76c6d.jpg

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198102150

I like that big terracing along the side of the pitch at Ayr, so was sorry to read that it was changing.

I've got to say though, that I really like the look of what's planned.  I'm delighted that it's remaining a standing area.  

Fair play.  Somerset should remain an excellent ground.

Would that St Mirren XI be just about the strongest team they've had since re-organisation of the leagues in 1976? 

1THOMSON Billy

2YOUNG John

3BECKETT Alex

4RICHARDSON Lex

5FULTON Mark

6COPLAND Jackie

7McDOUGALL Frank

8STARK Billy

9SOMNER Doug

10ABERCROMBY Billy

11WEIR Peter

35 minutes ago, O_Kahn said:

Would that St Mirren XI be just about the strongest team they've had since re-organisation of the leagues in 1976? 

1THOMSON Billy

2YOUNG John

3BECKETT Alex

4RICHARDSON Lex

5FULTON Mark

6COPLAND Jackie

7McDOUGALL Frank

8STARK Billy

9SOMNER Doug

10ABERCROMBY Billy

11WEIR Peter

Definitely not far off it.

Attacking options were off the scale compared to what we're used to. Frank McAvennie was at the club as well, and made his breakthrough the following season. Somner (for us) and McDougall (for Aberdeen) were both top scorers in the Premier League in their day. Elsewhere in the side, Steve Clarke's signing wasn't far off and there are a few others you could make a case for.

11 hours ago, AuAl said:

Not sure if this is the right thread for a post like this, but here goes. We may end up in the play-offs, in which case this post is maybe a couple weeks early.

Yesterday marked the last league home game for Ayr, meaning, the last regular league game with the old North Terrace in its current look.

North side of the ground is being given a much needed redevelopment over next season and will certainly change the look of the old place. The plans are very popular with the Ayr support. Thankfully, there will still be terracing and the new stand will come with some additional seating (around 800 seats I think) along with a roof. A significant hospitality space and clubhouse is the main part of the build.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayr-united-unveil-stunning-plans-27193546

https://twitter.com/AyrUnitedFC/status/1535345528686395392?s=20

20190423_203219_2.thumb.jpg.431fc7c735831f3a339b9a268748b386.jpg

1200px-Ayr_Uniteds_Somerset_Park.thumb.jpg.88870fded8d5492560c173ec7e4cbdc0.jpg

368307701.article-962.jpg.055fa4bcd56325cf7b54200c5d49a02d.jpg

368307695.thumb.jpeg.f9cd59c5e4ced1e163e6bab315456564.jpeg

This must be the first new terracing built in a league ground in Scotland for a long time, maybe Stirling Albion at Forthbank the last time new standing was built?

1 minute ago, moses1924 said:

This must be the first new terracing built in a league ground in Scotland for a long time, maybe Stirling Albion at Forthbank the last time new standing was built?

Albion Rovers reconstructed/increased terracing behind one of their goals in recent years.

9 hours ago, Specky Ginger said:

From what I can remember, Hibs had a game up north which was postponed. As a train load of their casuals were making their way back, they pulled the communication chord to stop the train and a load of them piled off and climbed into the ground (before the days of pneumatic train doors and before the railway stand at Stark's Park ran the full length of the pitch).

It must've been a friendly then because Hibs were out of the cup and the Dundee teams were still in it so they couldn't have been going past Kirkcaldy on legue business

Indeed, February 16th 1985 was the day John 'Bomber' Brown knocked his beloved Oldco out of the Cup at Snake Mountain.

Here's Brown committing one of his signature tackles that attracted his boyhood favourites. Fortunely, it wasn't karate kicking flesh and bones here but tin.

One of his future partners in crime watches the master at work, and would go onto replicate it on Theo Snelders cheekbone.

Brown.jpg.0f70ec8f5245504b6d6dcb860fa89043.jpg

19 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

It must've been a friendly then because Hibs were out of the cup and the Dundee teams were still in it so they couldn't have been going past Kirkcaldy on legue business

Indeed, February 16th 1985 was the day John 'Bomber' Brown knocked his beloved Oldco out of the Cup at Snake Mountain.

Here's Brown committing one of his signature tackles that attracted his boyhood favourites. Fortunely, it wasn't karate kicking flesh and bones here but tin.

One of his future partners in crime watches the master at work, and would go onto replicate it on Theo Snelders cheekbone.

Brown.jpg.0f70ec8f5245504b6d6dcb860fa89043.jpg

It was an old Accies fanzine that had "Great Quotes of the Century" and the quote was "We sold John Brown to Dundee because his knees had gone.. "

3 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Isn’t it more a seated area and roof being built on the back of an existing terrace?

5 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Isn’t it more a seated area and roof being built on the back of an existing terrace?

AYR United’s resurgence on the pitch looks set to be matched by major steps forward off the park after the club’s plans for a new stand on the north side of Somerset Park were given the green light.

Ayr United: Somerset Park new stand plans approved | Ayr Advertiser

13 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes, that's what the first link is, the second link is to the Scottish Cup game later that season.

Rovers did lose 9-0 at Pittodrie in the League Cup, but that was the season before the 1985 Scottish Cup match.

10 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

From the days when a top English team would send a full strength side up here for a half arsed friendly on FA Cup weekend, just to give them a game because both sides were out of their respective cups, St Mirren v Arsenal, 15th Feb 1981.

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=198102150

That would have been Arsenal's first blank FA Cup weekend for four years.

2 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Rovers did lose 9-0 at Pittodrie in the League Cup, but that was the season before the 1985 Scottish Cup match.

Billy Stark's first competitive Aberdeen goals was a hat-trick in this match; however, Eric Black hits four against a team which includes future Dons player, Craig 'Gladstone Small' Robertson and the team that night was managed by Dick Campbell!! 

13 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

"Half arsed friendly"?

It was for the famous and much sought after Provan's Jewellers Challenge Cup and remains to this day the showpiece silverware in the Highbury trophy room (which just happens to be someone's cupboard nowadays)

Edited by Bogbrush1903

22 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Billy Stark's first competitive Aberdeen goals was a hat-trick in this match; however, Eric Black hits four against a team which includes future Dons player, Craig 'Gladstone Small' Robertson and the team that night was managed by Dick Campbell!! 

Andy Graham, who was on loan to us from Dundee United, saved a penalty that night as well.

8 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

It does call it that. but the article says:

which will see a cover erected over the open north terrace for the first time and a new seating area, permanent hospitality spaces and clubhouse built at the rear.

I took that  to mean they were keeping the existing terracing rather than building a new one, in response to Moses’ question about it being the first new terrace built at a Scottish ground in a while.

11 hours ago, moses1924 said:

I think Elgin built some small bits of terracing behind each goal on the existing grass banks, but since then, only Albion Rovers that I can think of, unless Kelty or Bonnyrigg did, which I suspect they might have.

The new stand at Somerset looks great. Possibly a good model for other clubs, keep the terracing, but add some seats and a roof. I guess that the plan is that if ever needed, the club could just put some seats over the terracing pretty cheaply?

My abiding memory of that terrace is being at a game there, think possibly a midweek league cup game in 90's, where the ball boy was being too slow to get the ball back and was getting pelters from the away fans. He sat down and hid on the pitchside of the wall at the front and you could hear him crying. Pretty hellish, but I think Ayr won, so I'm sure he'd have been alright. 

I pinched this.. but it was too good not too! 

Stirling Albion 3 Meadowbank Thistle 1, May 1987. The last game on grass at Annfield. Meadowbank were promoted that day and won the 2nd Division title a week later. 

Picture by Meadowbank's Birmingham based fan (and good guy) Paul Chatham. 

The stretcher is there because Grant Tierney collided with the post going for a header. Also right of the ref is the legendary Vic Kasule. 

annfield.thumb.jpg.50423d6f17c748c728b8b91fb5138338.jpg

Clydebank v Hibs in the 1992 Scottish Cup at the all bench arena that was Kilbowie Park.

Tommy McIntyre and (I think) Gordon Hunter are in the sponsor free Hibernian shirts with, it looks like John Henry is the garish Bankies strip of that time?

The red hair behind him might be Paul Harvey.

FB_IMG_1682973476084.jpg

Edited by Flybhoy