A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

Another pre 1903 Aberdeen photo
The caption just says Aberdeen v Victoria United 1895 but I'm presuming this is Aberdeen's Chanonry ground, which is now the Cruickshank botanical gardens in the grounds of Aberdeen University's Kings College campus just off St Machar Drive
ETA my understanding is that goal nets were introduced in 1891 but there's clearly none here, which makes me wonder if this photo is older than the caption says?2wm11eu.jpg

Introduced in 1891 in England according to a quick Google. It seems feasible in my head that it took more than four years after that for goal nets to be ubiquitous across the UK.

10 minutes ago, resk said:

Introduced in 1891 in England according to a quick Google. It seems feasible in my head that it took more than four years after that for goal nets to be ubiquitous across the UK.

You are probably right and this would have been a regional northern league game (or cup) tie, not a national

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Ally Scott and Bobby Smith modelling it. Smith had a successful career including 8 years at Leicester. Ally, not so much.

Sadly Bobby passed away in 2010 at the age of 56. Definitely at the end of his career when he turned up at Firhill but I remember him scoring a cracking goal versus Clydebank in a 4-1 home win.

15 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

Another pre 1903 Aberdeen photo

The caption just says Aberdeen v Victoria United 1895 but I'm presuming this is Aberdeen's Chanonry ground, which is now the Cruickshank botanical gardens in the grounds of Aberdeen University's Kings College campus just off St Machar Drive

ETA my understanding is that goal nets were introduced in 1891 but there's clearly none here, which makes me wonder if this photo is older than the caption says?2wm11eu.jpg

I love these old photos so I did a bit of digging. There were a couple of games between Aberdeen and Victoria United that year. The first was in March: a much-postponed county cup semi-final, played at Chanonry, which finished 5-3 to Aberdeen. The healthy attendance matches the report of the game, where the crowd was described as 'a seething mass around the ropes'. But the report also says there was snow on the ground, and if you look at the length of the shadows, it's clear this game had to have been played on a summer's evening. So it's more likely to have been the Charity Cup final, played at Cattofield on a Monday evening in early May, in front of another respectable crowd (3,500).  Pleasingly, Aberdeen were horsed 6-2.

Edited by Mr Heliums

Great bit of detective work, give yourself the Columbo Raincoat Award. To prove your accuracy here's another pic entitled " pre 1903 - Orion v Victoria Utd (Cattofield)" - shocking photo like but deffo the same place.

log25zqyqt.jpg

Edited by EdTheDuck

When did the goal posts replace jumpers? Nothing on Google about it at all.

10 hours ago, Mr Heliums said:

I love these old photos so I did a bit of digging. There were a couple of games between Aberdeen and Victoria United that year. The first was in March: a much-postponed county cup semi-final, played at Chanonry, which finished 5-3 to Aberdeen. The healthy attendance matches the report of the game, where the crowd was described as 'a seething mass around the ropes'. But the report also says there was snow on the ground, and if you look at the length of the shadows, it's clear this game had to have been played on a summer's evening. So it's more likely to have been the Charity Cup final, played at Cattofield on a Monday evening in early May, in front of another respectable crowd (3,500).  Pleasingly, Aberdeen were horsed 6-2.

You do realise that both these teams along with Orion merged to form the present day dons