A Photographic History Of Scottish Football

10 hours ago, paul wright scores said:

It was wild.  Went with my dad and his father and there was a lot of fighting.

There was a load of trouble at Fir Park in the quarter final too.

I was there too and indeed lots of trouble under the roof. The thing is that everyone knew that there was going to be trouble, and it was accepted back then. Fantastic atmosphere that day.

14 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

Derek 'cup tie' McKay scores the only goal in the 1970 Scottish Cup semi final vs Kilmarnock, played in front of anything from 25,000 - 31,000 at Muirton Park, depending on who you believe.

Apparently there was a fair bit of fisticuffs and bottle throwing but then it was the 1970s when such things weren't seen as the end of civilisation

dlki7d.jpg

The official attendance was 25,812.

On 1/19/2018 at 22:33, Flybhoy said:

The Welsh are still raging at Joe Jordan for this over 40 years later... 8)

My dad was at Anfield that night, said we outnumbered the Wales support five to one.

Any older posters know why the Welsh FA switched what was there home tie?

Scotland-V-Wales-World-Cup-qualifying-match-1977.jpg

My old man couldn't get a ticket in the Scotland end, so wrote to the Welsh FA and got him and a couple of mates tickets. Said it was absolutely rammed with Scots. 

36 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

My old man couldn't get a ticket in the Scotland end, so wrote to the Welsh FA and got him and a couple of mates tickets. Said it was absolutely rammed with Scots. 

I still think Scotland's 2nd goal is one of the best goals ever scored.   A great team goal and fabulous cross from Martin Buchan, who also played in the 1970 semi-final mentioned above.

Craig Faulconbridge equalises for the Pars against Celtic at East End Park. The ground was rammed, mainly with Celtic fans, because had they won this game they would have won the league. Amusingly they did not win, sending thousands of them home in a rage, and the Pars fans present home very happy. Many Celtic fans were raging that we didn't let them win and rolled out the old 'Hunfermline' stuff. Wanks. This game was live on TV, which is where I saw it, in Glasgow, because my stupid parents dragged me through to an uncle's birthday party. 

030598-bells-premier-division-dunfermline-v-celtic-1-1-east-end-park-BJF2E4.thumb.jpg.ac493d61d178495849bfc7c40a804e54.jpg

Another pre 1903 Aberdeen photo

The caption just says Aberdeen v Victoria United 1895 but I'm presuming this is Aberdeen's Chanonry ground, which is now the Cruickshank botanical gardens in the grounds of Aberdeen University's Kings College campus just off St Machar Drive

ETA my understanding is that goal nets were introduced in 1891 but there's clearly none here, which makes me wonder if this photo is older than the caption says?2wm11eu.jpg

Edited by EdTheDuck