What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

52 minutes ago, velo army said:

Aye if it's Kilmarnock with it's nice houses and theatre scene (seriously, Centre Stage do some great stuff) then it'll be wall to wall showings of "I'm no a billy he's a tim" and why we all just need to get along. If it's Kilwinning it'll be lessons on the correct way to hold a piccolo and how to button up.a tunic when you've no neck.

I reckon Kilwinning is probably wealthier than Kilmarnock on the whole now.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

One doesn't excuse the other, but this is the kind of whataboutery The Rangers and Celtic fans go to whenever this behaviour is brought up. That and none of them ever admits to singing or being involved in sectarianism themselves, and always use that excuse to deflect any criticism from supporting teams steeped in it. 

I never said that one excuses the other, you're putting words in my mouth here.

2 hours ago, CoF said:

That first part is true, but also kinda not true. 

(Sorry if you know this already) There's a whole section on the SPFL rules about Unacceptable Conduct in stadiums. The definition of Unacceptable Conduct is pretty simple, and it's clear is breached regularly. While the clubs aren't responsible for the actions of fans, they're responsible for 1 - minimising the potential for unacceptable conduct (primarily that falls on the home club), and 2 - taking disciplinary measures against fans (which is more effectively dealt with by the club the fan supports). 

I imagine the first part is easily ticked off every single game with risk assessments, stewards, liaising with the Police etc. The second part, I can't see why clubs aren't in regular breach of that rule. Picking a totally random club and stadium, say..... Rangers at Ibrox -  when the songbook is out, it shouldn't be hard to review videos, identify individual season ticket holders and ban them. Gradually people will get the message. If it happens when Rangers are playing away, the home club's could release statements saying they are aware of the songs and will work with Rangers and the authorities to identify those responsible. But that doesn't happen. 

The mechanisms and technology is there and it could be gradually squeezed out of the game. Sadly there's a wilful acceptance. So aye, the SPFL can't punish clubs for fan behaviour but they can punish them for failing to deal with it. But they don't and are therefore complicit in keeping it alive. 

Untitled.jpg

There used to be a song at Saints park in which the initial reference was to the colours of the two teams they hate and the final line was an offensive reference to the pope and the queen (an updated “king” version wouldn’t be so good for rhyming reasons)  
It’s also, to be fair, popular at the grounds of other diddy clubs. 
This is clearly doubly sectarian and the concern is the authorities would see the logic in doubling the punishment 

18 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

There used to be a song at Saints park in which the initial reference was to the colours of the two teams they hate and the final line was an offensive reference to the pope and the queen (an updated “king” version wouldn’t be so good for rhyming reasons)  

How about 
"We hate ***s too, that's why we sing...

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

5 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

This is clearly doubly sectarian and the concern is the authorities would see the logic in doubling the punishment 

I’d say that song is normally sung in retort as is FoS to their Rule Britannia or GSTK. So in a world where the knuckledraggers behave themselves, I don’t think that song exists. 

For me though the only feasible way to deal with this is significant points deductions. Fines or having to play the odd game behind closed doors wouldn’t significantly hurt the fans directly. Points deductions would. especially if they were significant enough to rule out winning the league or even provide the threat of relegation. 

do agree with posters though who say it would be very difficult to police. How do you decide what is acceptable and what isn’t? Obviously songs like the Billy Boys or No pope of Rome is an instant red card because they contain directly sectarian lyrics, but what about the likes of the Sash or No Surrender, which (as far as I’m aware) don’t?

19 minutes ago, Wee Jock Poopong McPlop said:

Those Nat 5s are murder, eh?

35 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I reckon Kilwinning is probably wealthier than Kilmarnock on the whole now.

Aye fair enough. Last time I went through was about 15 years ago tbf. It was alarmingly staunch and like some outpost town from a western.

I should have said West Kilbride tbf, but I know nothing of their youth theatre companies.

Don't that sort of people engage enough whataboutery and faux "victimhood" as it is without actively incentivising them to be "offended"

As with the offensive behaviour at football grounds act any measures by the SPFL would probably trigger the law of unintended consequnces

The law of unintended consequences illustration: with someone trying to regulate a complex system with a simple system

12 minutes ago, AJF said:

Care to expand?

We used to sing it too, and I was pissed off (still am a bit) that it got banned. 

To the tune of "o Tannenbaum".

Hello hello how do you do? We hate the boys in royal blue, we hate the boys in emerald green, so f**k the pope and f**k the queen.

Its clearly not sectarian as saying "both sides of this binary argument can both do one" is more a commentary on the existence of the argument in the first place. Anyone claiming it is sectarian is clearly at it. 

2 minutes ago, velo army said:

We used to sing it too, and I was pissed off (still am a bit) that it got banned. 

Hello hello how do you do? We hate the boys in royal blue, we hate the boys in emerald green, so f**k the pope and f**k the queen.

Its clearly not sectarian as saying "both sides of this binary argument can both do one" is more a commentary on the existence of the argument in the first place. Anyone claiming it is sectarian is clearly at it. 

Sorry, maybe some wires crossed. I was asking @DukDukGooseto expand on them laughing at the claim that strict liability could leave clubs open to being punished for things outwith their control.

17 minutes ago, velo army said:

I actually agree with you, but I suppose the argument would be that it’s offensive to the pope and the queen.

I daresay neither of them asked knuckledragging old firm fans to sing their praises, so why should they be “fucked”?

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I actually agree with you, but I suppose the argument would be that it’s offensive to the pope and the queen.

I daresay neither of them asked knuckledragging old firm fans to sing their praises, so why should they be “fucked”?

And of course there are cringing royalists who are also staunch Roman Catholics. Jacob Rees Mogg, Ann Widdecombe and the ghost of Jimmy Saville

ETA: that's "staunch" in it's normal outside world sense as opposed to the P&B vernacular obviously

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

27 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

It's not about the actual people or necessarily the offices (although the expectorate vitriol reserved for those two at the end of the song speaks to perhaps a loathing of institutions and the reverance in which the heads are held) than it is about distancing ourselves from the old firm through daring to choose no sides but rather flicking the V to both.

If it's offensive to both the pope and the queen then that's an added bonus. Up them both.

Edited by velo army

32 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's not about the actual people or necessarily the offices (although the expectorate vitriol reserved for those two at the end of the song speaks to perhaps a loathing of institutions and the reverance in which the heads are held) than it is about distancing ourselves from the old firm through daring to choose no sides but rather flicking the V to both.

If it's offensive to both the pope and the queen then that's an added bonus. Up them both.

You've reminded me of a train trip to Palmerston from the weeg a few years back for a Queens v Thistle Scottish Cup tie.  The Thistle fans sang a wee ditty, which IIRC went as follows - 

"If you want to go to heaven when you die, you must wear a Thistle jacket and a tie, you must wear a Thistle bonnet, with **** the Old Firm on it, if you want to go to heaven when you die."

At which point an elderly gentleman rose to his feet, wagged a finger at the singers and said "You are totally out of order lads....

there's  no such thing as the Old Firm any more."

54 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

And of course there are cringing royalists who are also staunch Roman Catholics. Jacob Rees Mogg, Ann Widdecombe and the ghost of Jimmy Saville

ETA: that's "staunch" in it's normal outside world sense as opposed to the P&B vernacular obviously

If the Scottish media has taught me anything, it's that there is no such thing as a "staunch" Catholic.

Catholics are "devout", Protestants are "staunch", eg "Tommy Burns, a devout Catholic".