Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

8 hours ago, Zanetti said:

O's take the series against them in Toronto tonight. 

What a fun season this has been. The new rules are absolutely a massive positive for the sport.

They really have been. The pitch clock in particular has been an excellent development.  

I think the Pads are another couple of losses away from a complete implosion. Mass firings, players calling each other out etc. The entire hitting lineup has turned into Eric Hosmer. 

That's jobless Eric Hosmer, who the Cubs DFA'd :lol:

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think the Pads are another couple of losses away from a complete implosion. Mass firings, players calling each other out etc. The entire hitting lineup has turned into Eric Hosmer. 

That's jobless Eric Hosmer, who the Cubs DFA'd :lol:

Back to the Padres?

One year ago today Adley Rutschman made his MLB debut; since then the Baltimore Orioles (who had just come off three 100 loss win seasons, not including the COVID year) are 98-71.

What an outrageously entertaining and talented team to watch right now, the future for these guys is seriously exciting.

On 20/05/2023 at 23:49, Zanetti said:

O's take the series against them in Toronto tonight. 

What a fun season this has been. The new rules are absolutely a massive positive for the sport.

The pitch clock has been a tremendous addition. I watched the entire Mariners/Braves game last night and it lasted 2 hours 8 minutes. It's fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...

Pads coming into this series hitting .185 with RISP on the season. Gone .500 over these three games. Who are these impostors?

Still managed to lose game two having held the Marlins scoreless through 8 and ultimately only giving up 2 runs. Peak Padresing.

On 07/06/2023 at 19:03, Wile E Coyote said:

To the surprise of absolutely nobody Jacob deGrom is injured and out for the season.

Questions surely must be asked of the Rangers management for thinking this contract was a good idea

Gutted for him, was disappointed he left the Mets but would have loved for him to stay healthy. Absolute HOF if he wasn't made of chocolate.

One of the intersting notes from the 2022-2026 labour deal made public last month is that it allows for expansion of the league to 32 teams. There's zero chance of a team being added by 2026 as expansion is unlikely until the A's & Ray sort their ballpark situations. The DH being universal makes re-alignment easier.

Edited by GNU_Linux

On 09/06/2023 at 08:12, Sarto Mutiny said:

The Chicago Cubs are fucking awful.

No point to be made here, I just needed to vent

I find it hilarious that some buildings outside Wrigley have seats to watch the games..

Didn't the Cubs try and erect advertisement boards and get shot down by those owing the seats outside?

the seven inning stretch is cool though,

a good team to follow if in UK with all those early games..

On 10/06/2023 at 15:48, GNU_Linux said:

One of the intersting notes from the 2022-2026 labour deal made public last month is that it allows for expansion of the league to 32 teams. There's zero chance of a team being added by 2026 as expansion is unlikely until the A's & Ray sort their ballpark situations. The DH being universal makes re-alignment easier.

Expansion is an interesting one for me. Think it'd be cool to see another Canadian team, but it seems pretty unlikely. Other than Vegas which still seems to be getting the A's, Nashville and Charlotte are often mentioned in the conversation.

3 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

Expansion is an interesting one for me. Think it'd be cool to see another Canadian team, but it seems pretty unlikely. Other than Vegas which still seems to be getting the A's, Nashville and Charlotte are often mentioned in the conversation.

There's been movement with a possible Utah franchise. I don't know how it works with MLB but I'd guess any new franchise would need approval from whichever incumbent team has the locale classed as part of their market e.g. Utah is the Rockies 'market'. Mexico City is another that gets mentioned.

20 hours ago, Zanetti said:

Ohtani will eventually be considered the best player of all time, I'm absolutely convinced of it. He's just ridiculously talented.

How much will he get paid in the offseason? £400/500 million? Case to be made that he is worth even more

On 18/06/2023 at 20:43, Zanetti said:

Ohtani will eventually be considered the best player of all time, I'm absolutely convinced of it. He's just ridiculously talented.

Different era..

The Babe wasn't a bad pitcher....

Babe Ruth's career pitching record was 94-46, 2.28 ERA. 147 Games Started, 107 CG, 17 Shutouts, allowing 7.2 Hits/9. His average Won-Loss record over 162 games is 21-10.

107 complete games with a 2.28 ERA is some going.....

He then became too valuable to lose his hitting ability..

Today's pitchers, how many innings? 

It's all pitch counts nowadays...

Arms must have been hanging off...