The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Even after a couple of days the embarrassment of that result has not subsided. Coupled with the lost opportunity to progress from what must be our easiest ever 3rd and 4th round cup draws it just compounds the disappointment.

The club have been keen to release statements recently on the club website, i think this is the time for another one apologising for Saturdays' debacle. It is by far the worst result in most fans' time supporting the club and adds us to the small but sorry list of senior clubs humbled by junior opposition.

I get that it was just one game and shocks happen (we've made plenty of shocks ourselves on superior opposition) but to lose to junior opposition, in our own county, on national TV really plumbs the depths and has taken the shine off what was a fantastic season until the end of 2018.

2 hours ago, Young Eddie said:

Even after a couple of days the embarrassment of that result has not subsided. Coupled with the lost opportunity to progress from what must be our easiest ever 3rd and 4th round cup draws it just compounds the disappointment.

The club have been keen to release statements recently on the club website, i think this is the time for another one apologising for Saturdays' debacle. It is by far the worst result in most fans' time supporting the club and adds us to the small but sorry list of senior clubs humbled by junior opposition.

I get that it was just one game and shocks happen (we've made plenty of shocks ourselves on superior opposition) but to lose to junior opposition, in our own county, on national TV really plumbs the depths and has taken the shine off what was a fantastic season until the end of 2018.

I'm not interested in apologies, walk the walk over talk the talk for me, it would just cheapen a great day for Talbot, I'd hope we've far more class than that.

Edited by ayrmad

I genuinely don’t believe an apology is needed. I’d much rather they went out and beat Dundee United. That’s worth more than any apology.

Sometimes it’s good to brought back down to earth and the last few weeks have certainly done that. But we’ve come down with one hell of a bang. Hopefully this serves as a warning to the management and the players of how much work is required to win the league.

If we go up at the end of the season I won’t give two fucks about Saturday afternoon in Auchinleck.

The result on Saturday is the type that can act as a catalyst. The players, and everyone associated with the club, will be hurting. 
Hopefully we have atleast 1 back from injury during the week to give us more options on the bench, if there is a reserve game during the week I'd be giving Moore a runout in it, in the hope he bags a couple of goals to get his head back up. Would be inclined to give what ever centre half pairing we're going with on Friday 45 minutes as well especially if its Higgins and Rose. 

Lachlan had said previously he'd back the team, he obviously has in that we were a bawhair off signing Erskine. I'd rather McCall took his time and got the right guys in rather than panic signing everyone and anyone. 

That post on the SRE about Harvie, my days.

A load of c***s claiming if players can’t take criticism then they shouldn’t play football as in every workplace you need to deal with criticism. Ignoring that “your da’ touched you up” isn’t exactly your usual workplace criticism. I fucking hate some Ayr fans :lol:

18 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

A load of c***s claiming if players can’t take criticism then they shouldn’t play football as in every workplace you need to deal with criticism. Ignoring that “your da’ touched you up” isn’t exactly your usual workplace criticism. I fucking hate some Ayr fans :lol:

Tried to reason with them but apparently personal abuse is perfectly acceptable if your a footballer and they have no right to reach breaking point once they've had enough......

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

It wasn't the only drivel I read, if I ever post on there I hope I've the sense to cancel all my social media sites.

Just seen some snippets of the stuff regarding the board and Cameron. One certain individual commenting on it and asking where the funds are etc was an absolute brown noser with the club over the last 12-18 months and even got a League 1 winners medal :lol:

ETA I’m assuming he’s been trying to worm his way in to try and get on the board to no avail.

Edited by callum-ayr

As much as we're all hurting after what was a horrific result, some of the SRE meltdowns are very funny. Pretty enjoyable reading through absolute shite being spouted - particularly when it comes from people you never expected.
The amount of abuse, specifically on a personal level directed at some of our players at times is disgusting. Saturday was a very bad day all round, including for some elements of our "support"

Time to put Saturday in the past Friday night is massive now we have already turned the Arabs over twice this season let's hope its a hat trick, hopefully this result kickstarts another good run, Shankland back hopefully and a couple of signings in the door would be a massive boost, we have everything to fight for in this league let's not give up on the players just yet.

10 hours ago, Trogdor said:

^Its bollocks like this that grinds my gears.

Why choose to re-write history? I like how you write off the decade under the same board that we spent part time. Two years of success doesn't disregard thirteen no matter how you try to spin it! This board has made more mistakes than successes during their tenure that cannot be disputed. 

We sustain full time football through increased attendances and no doubt there is contributions by the board/Cameron. As with the donations made by us, the fans. It'd be nice to see you recognise that rather than solely congratulating the board's sudden strategic accumen of the last two years.

Utlimately, I'm suggesting the board show ambition signing 2/3 players not put the club's future in doubt.

I'm not sure why you find that so offensive? 

Who’s re-writing history?  The club went part time because we were broke in the post Barr era.  The club has never explained who’s fault that was and I don’t believe anyone on here knows either.  Under Connor we were so broke we pursued a strategy of signing the best juniors, which proved to be a disaster and nearly put us in league 2.  We then pursued a strategy of being the best part time team in Scotland.  It was successful to a point in that it got us promoted 3 times in 8 years.  But we found there is a glass ceiling for part time teams, generally around 9th or 10 place in the championship.  So now the club has shown the ambition you claim isn’t there by going full time which has been genuinely transformational over the last 18 months.  

I don’t believe for one minute that improved attendances are funding full time football.  The last time we tried this was in the late 80s when, if anything, attendances were higher and it drove the club into huge debt which Bill Barr ultimately bailed us out of in the mid 90s. Quite frankly, I’ve no idea where the money is coming from and I can only hope it’s sustainable.  Indeed, if you take the moneybags Barr era out of the equation, Ayr have never in their history been able to support full time football purely from revenue raised.  I contribute to the au500 fund, but I’m under no illusions about how much it raises in the big picture.

Regards your suggestion of signing 2 or 3 players, we’ve already signed 2 in the transfer window - Ferguson and Docherty who were out of contract and not budgeted for beyond January.

SRE fb  has been closed off, anyone know why? Can't even read what Lachlan has been saying.

Just said that all board members were required to put up a minimum of 10K and some gave more than that.

He feels it’s unfair to ask them to give more.

I don't think it's at all inappropriate for McCall to put out a few words on the website and at least acknowledge that Saturday was an absolute shambles and that they take responsibility for that. Make no mistake, this is our most embarrassing defeat ever. Talbot are not the worst team we have ever lost to, but to lose to Juniors, from Ayrshire, on national TV with the 'best team we have had in years' is a total farce. To then attempt to blame the referee was even worse.

I’ve let the dust settle on Saturday before commenting but the result showed up our greatest weakness this season and Talbot exploited it really well.  When a team sits in we struggle to break them down.  Think Falkirk away or QoS at home as examples.  To have any chance at breaking down a packed defence we need two things in my view – the triangle of Kerr, Moffat and Shankland who all  have the vision and the understanding of each other  to make something happen in a tight space and secondly we need wide men to beat  their man and expose the opposition. 

On Saturday we had neither of these.  Moore is very different to Shankland and his first move is to try and run in behind the defence, but apart from once in the first half, that space wasn’t there.  While Docherty is a decent enough footballer, he plays much more laterally and at a slower pace than Kerr, who very often springs an attack with a quick ball forwards.  Out wide, McDaid and Crawford weren’t beating their man, partly because the pitch was a bit narrower than normal but also because the defender was normally right up on them.  McDaid in particular is much better with space to take his man on.  I was surprised that it took so long to bring McGuffie on as he at least offers some ability to beat a man in a confined space.

As a consequence of Talbot sitting in, we also allowed the pace of the game to drop.  Ayr have been at their best when the pace of the game is high and the transition from defence to attack happens really quickly.  The second goal at Tannadice is a great example.  Rose wins the ball near halfway and we move it very quickly through the team and score.  McCall was constantly urging them to up the tempo on Saturday but the players were unable to do so.

If we can’t correct both of these issues, the games against Dundee United and ICT will be tough as both will presumably sit in and try and hit us on the break.  It’s important we get Shankland back, not only for his goals but his all round game, the desire to win he brings and also the fact that defences worry when he is on the park and spaces open up elsewhere.

Finally, it’s important that the fans support the team fully in both games.  In what other world do people’s performances improve when the customers give them abuse as some Ayr fans seem prone to?

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

SRE fb  has been closed off, anyone know why? Can't even read what Lachlan has been saying.

Hopefully the screens are round it and someone is standing with the gun to put it out of its misery.

44 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

I’ve let the dust settle on Saturday before commenting but the result showed up our greatest weakness this season and Talbot exploited it really well.  When a team sits in we struggle to break them down.  Think Falkirk away or QoS at home as examples.  To have any chance at breaking down a packed defence we need two things in my view – the triangle of Kerr, Moffat and Shankland who all  have the vision and the understanding of each other  to make something happen in a tight space and secondly we need wide men to beat  their man and expose the opposition. 

On Saturday we had neither of these.  Moore is very different to Shankland and his first move is to try and run in behind the defence, but apart from once in the first half, that space wasn’t there.  While Docherty is a decent enough footballer, he plays much more laterally and at a slower pace than Kerr, who very often springs an attack with a quick ball forwards.  Out wide, McDaid and Crawford weren’t beating their man, partly because the pitch was a bit narrower than normal but also because the defender was normally right up on them.  McDaid in particular is much better with space to take his man on.  I was surprised that it took so long to bring McGuffie on as he at least offers some ability to beat a man in a confined space.

As a consequence of Talbot sitting in, we also allowed the pace of the game to drop.  Ayr have been at their best when the pace of the game is high and the transition from defence to attack happens really quickly.  The second goal at Tannadice is a great example.  Rose wins the ball near halfway and we move it very quickly through the team and score.  McCall was constantly urging them to up the tempo on Saturday but the players were unable to do so.

If we can’t correct both of these issues, the games against Dundee United and ICT will be tough as both will presumably sit in and try and hit us on the break.  It’s important we get Shankland back, not only for his goals but his all round game, the desire to win he brings and also the fact that defences worry when he is on the park and spaces open up elsewhere.

Finally, it’s important that the fans support the team fully in both games.  In what other world do people’s performances improve when the customers give them abuse as some Ayr fans seem prone to?

That's been our problem for the last few weeks, the tempo we are playing at has dropped significantly, and so have our performances. 

I dont think it is just down to Shankland being out, i think we are missing Forrest and Kerr, and Crawford looks a shadow of the player even back from the DU game. It maybe we are missing Shanklands movement, and with Moore being more a penalty box player, the link up play is just not there.