The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Just heard..................absolutely nothing!

It’s weird reading these little headlines that pop up regarding football on the continent - they serve to give you a slight glimmer of hope - until you read the last paragraph.

Football starts in Italy - you think, what???
Teams are back training next month - you think, ok, that’s like the end of this week type of thing / you start to think - ah, football, yip can just about remember it
Then you read on - all subject to lockdown, blah blah blah blah blah
Another non story.
Must be shit being a journalist right now.
When’s lockdown ending? When’s lockdown ending? When’s lockdown ending?

58 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

Just heard..................absolutely nothing!

It’s weird reading these little headlines that pop up regarding football on the continent - they serve to give you a slight glimmer of hope - until you read the last paragraph.

Football starts in Italy - you think, what???
Teams are back training next month - you think, ok, that’s like the end of this week type of thing / you start to think - ah, football, yip can just about remember it
Then you read on - all subject to lockdown, blah blah blah blah blah
Another non story.
Must be shit being a journalist right now.
When’s lockdown ending? When’s lockdown ending? When’s lockdown ending?

They are acting like children. 

23 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Just saw that league 2 are going to block anything that’s not a 14 14 and 14 team league!

Hopefully that will not pass and we can just get on with our usual structure in that case. 

53 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Just saw that league 2 are going to block anything that’s not a 14 14 and 14 team league!

Can’t see the championship clubs going for that.  Too many clubs with little or no away supports to boost revenue.  When you think back to league 1 games, there were few clubs that merited even opening the Railway end.  An enlarged premier league is a carrot, but don’t think this is the answer.

2 hours ago, ryanayr1987 said:

So Dundee United and ICT would go up to premiership with Raith, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife and Dumbarton joining our league?

So Dundee United and ICT would go up to premiership with Raith, Falkirk, Airdrie, Montrose, East Fife and Dumbarton joining our league?

Yep

It’s definitely a much more open league with Dundee being the obvious favourites and we should be looking at top 4 again but I see no real need for reconstruction when it’s only happening to appease Hearts.

18 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yep

It’s definitely a much more open league with Dundee being the obvious favourites and we should be looking at top 4 again but I see no real need for reconstruction when it’s only happening to appease Hearts.

Has it been announced how promotion and relegation would work? Would there be playoffs etc?

As I said in other championship thread regardless of what happens with this vote which looks likely to not go through unless altered, the championship going to 12 teams could be a good thing. If we replicate the split system as premiership has assuming we get no changes on play offs etc the top 6 play each other and lot to play for potentially for title and league. They could set it so top 2 before split plays each other on final day. Likewise at the bottom half. Even pre split how delighted for example would Arbroath have been to secure top 6 position knowing they won't have relegation fears and more likely bigger away gates etc. 

I do like the idea of it as it should theoretically give us a better chance of promotion next season plus means playing more different teams.

However I believe last season and this are the two seasons where the team have peaked, these 2 years were the best chance we would have ever had to get promotion IMO.

I think next year we'll be mid table mediocre, I hope I'm proved wrong though...

I'd keep the league the way it currently is

I do like the idea of it as it should theoretically give us a better chance of promotion next season plus means playing more different teams.  
However I believe last season and this are the two seasons where the team have peaked, these 2 years were the best chance we would have ever had to get promotion IMO.

I think next year we'll be mid table mediocre, I hope I'm proved wrong though...

I'd keep the league the way it currently is

Depends on who is available you can’t determine what is going to happen at this point

With the leagues in England and Italy looking as if all of a sudden they may start again in the next month or so. Is anyone beginning to get the feeling we've jumped the gun a bit here in Scotland calling off the lower leagues.

10 minutes ago, rb123! said:

With the leagues in England and Italy looking as if all of a sudden they may start again in the next month or so. Is anyone beginning to get the feeling we've jumped the gun a bit here in Scotland calling off the lower leagues.

I don't think so.

The main motivation they are finishing the top leagues is money. TV money specifically. They are also teams who can sustain playing in empty stadiums. In addition, they can pay for the level of testing of their players and officials to manage the risk.

Lower league clubs in Scotland simply cant afford to do that.

Reading all the articles about Spud Murphy, who was a player well before my time following Ayr, it is remarkable that he had 15 years at the club, Sanny McAnespie had 14  years at the same time, Alex Ingram and Ricky Fleming had 10, all four retiring in 1978.

Johnny Doyle who was capped for Scotland at that time played in the same period as did David Stewart who went on to play for Leeds in the European cup final. 

All apart from Doyle are in the Hall of Fame. There hasn't been anyone inducted since 2013 to the hall of fame, does anyone know why? Off the top of my head I could think of Stevie Nicol, went from Ayr to Liverpool, won 5 league one titles, three FA cups, a European Super cup and European Cup and capped only 27 times. 

Alan Mclnally, Went on to win the Bundesliga with Bayern Munich

Both played a decent amount of time for Ayr before winning a title in another country

Michael Moffat Once he hits 100 goals for the club, anyone playing over 350 games ?

Anyone else think of worthy nominees ?

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think so.

The main motivation they are finishing the top leagues is money. TV money specifically. They are also teams who can sustain playing in empty stadiums. In addition, they can pay for the level of testing of their players and officials to manage the risk.

Lower league clubs in Scotland simply cant afford to do that.

Latest in Scotland seems to be the Premiership could return in June behind closed doors, would image that'll enrage Scottish lower league clubs who voted to end their season on the basis of assumption that the Premiership was going to be called off in a couple of weeks and was simply just awaiting the approval from UEFA.