The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I thought McAlear was awful tbh. He’s tidy enough on the ball but he’s constantly towing a caravan and was chasing shadows at times today. I’ll be glad if he never plays for us again and I’d be getting Smith in for next week. 

He was terrible and why Bullen didn’t hook him is bizarre. I really hope he never plays for us again, he’s just not good enough. Can’t tackle, can’t shoot and can’t take a set piece.

12 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

A couple of comments about today:

I quite liked Macguire having a roaming playmaker role. I didn't realise Bullen was capable of such a tactical change. I'm excited to see more of this.

Ashford and Mullin were irritating me in equal measure first half. Both improved to different degrees second half.

Dipo can't seem to get a break at the moment. He just needs a goal to get rolling again.

Lovely play for McGinty and Musonda for the goal. Two centre halves linking up, a great cross and header.

We need to be having more shots. Our play in the final third isn't quite precise enough.

I can't decide if I like McAlear or hate him. I go through spells of thinking he's a player then thinking he's a haddie.

McAlear is consistently inconsistent. Has spells where he looks pretty good, last Friday against Queens Park was one of his better games.  Unfortunately most of the time though he's too slow on the ball and opposition midfielders seem to ghost through him.

His corner kicks can be good and bad in the same game. Haven't seen him come close to a free kick like the one against St Johnstone he scored for ICT in last season's promotion playoffs.

20 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I thought McAlear was awful tbh. He’s tidy enough on the ball but he’s constantly towing a caravan and was chasing shadows at times today. I’ll be glad if he never plays for us again and I’d be getting Smith in for next week. 

He is always where the ball isn’t and is often jogging near by the action while not doing anything.

Almost like he thinks playing in the Scottish championship is beneath him. Or, he’s just a flashy Bangala 

Just now, diegomarahenry said:

He is always where the ball isn’t and is often jogging near by the action while not doing anything.

Almost like he thinks playing in the Scottish championship is beneath him. Or, he’s just a flashy Bangala 

He had a chance to square the ball across the face of goal at the end and instead went for goal and blasted it out the park. Definitely thinks he’s too good for this level despite showing nothing more than a couple of decent performances since joining. 

McAlear was awful. He was never where he needed to be and far too often when he did have the ball he wasn't making the right decisions. Would very happily see the back of him. 

Much like last week, we edged the game but tbh I thought we were very meh all over the park. Considering how incredibly mediocre we have been for months on end, it is kind of madness that a win in Inverness has us in the play offs. In fact, a win in Inverness could actually see us as high as 2nd depending on other results (unlikely I know).

Tbh, I don't think we will get what we need up there. I won't be in the country so will be following updates on my phone like a lunatic praying I still have play off games to go to.

Today's highlights:

1. Big Sean eh, what a baw.

2. Frankie 😍

3. The North Terrace

22 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He had a chance to square the ball across the face of goal at the end and instead went for goal and blasted it out the park. Definitely thinks he’s too good for this level despite showing nothing more than a couple of decent performances since joining. 

It is the first time I have seen a player have a shot at goal and put the ball in to the family stand

19 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I for one can't wait till McAlear thunder strikes a 40 yarder last minute winner on Friday night. You'll all be sorry

I will personally apologise to him before driving him from Inverness back to Tranmere 

Edited by diegomarahenry

4 minutes ago, AuAl said:

McAlear was awful. He was never where he needed to be and far too often when he did have the ball he wasn't making the right decisions. Would very happily see the back of him. 

Much like last week, we edged the game but tbh I thought we were very meh all over the park. Considering how incredibly mediocre we have been for months on end, it is kind of madness that a win in Inverness has us in the play offs. In fact, a win in Inverness could actually see us as high as 2nd depending on other results (unlikely I know).

Tbh, I don't think we will get what we need up there. I won't be in the country so will be following updates on my phone like a lunatic praying I still have play off games to go to.

Today's highlights:

1. Big Sean eh, what a baw.

2. Frankie 😍

3. The North Terrace

Is beating Inverness and putting them out the play-offs would be our only hope in the play-offs. We have a decent record against the other teams 

Same comments as last week tbh.  Big improvement with keeping the ball on the deck, but lacking any sort of real cutting edge in the final third.  1st half we didn't play with much pace or intensity but second half started brighter and bar a wee spell when Raith had the ball a bit I don't remember Albinson having all that much to do.  

Thought Hewitt did OK, won his headers but positionally was caught out a couple times. Maguire had a decent game, went looking for the ball but, similar to the final third, there needs to be more movement to give him options.  McAlear looked like he was pulling out of getting close to attackers in a bid to avoid having to put in a challenge; if I were being unpleasant I'd describe that as shitebag behaviour tbh.  Smith would probably bring as much to the team, I'd rather he started.   Ashford continues to work hard and get into some decent positions but just seems to get the ball stuck under his feet or loses possession far too quickly - O'Connor or JML should have been on much earlier for him.  Good to see Mullin back even if he was a bit rusty.

I know Musonda scored the goal, but big Sean...what a guy.

I know I didn’t put him in my TOTS but if there’s any justice in the world Sean McGinty will be in it for this league. He’s been a colossus for us all season and stepped up when we were missing Kirk and Musonda. Scored a couple of important goals into the bargain as well. 

I’ve got no doubt that if he didn’t have such horrendous spells at Morton and Thistle then he’d get more plaudits from other teams but he’s been 7 or 8/10 most weeks for us. 

8 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know I didn’t put him in my TOTS but if there’s any justice in the world Sean McGinty will be in it for this league. He’s been a colossus for us all season and stepped up when we were missing Kirk and Musonda. Scored a couple of important goals into the bargain as well. 

I’ve got no doubt that if he didn’t have such horrendous spells at Morton and Thistle then he’d get more plaudits from other teams but he’s been 7 or 8/10 most weeks for us. 

The Sean McGinty redemption arc will be an Oscar winning story once it is adapted to the big screen.

As you say, a great performer most weeks for us. Nothing special but does exactly what he has to do. Seems to still be a lot of judgement around him from fans of other clubs, but I think most teams in this league would take him as a starting centre half.

ETA. He also gets pelters from some of our support every week, despite consistently doing everything that you would expect a championship centre half to be able to do.

Edited by AuAl

11 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

His performances for us early in his spell were truly horrific. I remember one fan screaming at him that he was the worst player to have played for Ayr and at the time I couldn’t argue.

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

His performances for us early in his spell were truly horrific. I remember one fan screaming at him that he was the worst player to have played for Ayr and at the time I couldn’t argue.

Aye I know. f**k knows what’s happened with him but it can’t be a coincidence that it coincided with Bullen coming in. 

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

McAlear looked like he was pulling out of getting close to attackers in a bid to avoid having to put in a challenge; if I were being unpleasant I'd describe that as shitebag behaviour tbh.

McAlear shouldn't start next week imo. I'd have Smith, for the simple reason he belongs to Ayr and knows what's at stake. You play for the badge. McAlear has looked like he genuinely couldn't give a toss and would happily head back down south.

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Is this official club awards that's giving Dempsey Young Player of the Year?

Was very good first half of the season but like the whole team pretty much has turned to very average 2nd half of the season

1 hour ago, Roxanne's man said:

McAlear shouldn't start next week imo. I'd have Smith, for the simple reason he belongs to Ayr and knows what's at stake. You play for the badge. McAlear has looked like he genuinely couldn't give a toss and would happily head back down south.

Surely it has to be Dempsey instead of Tranmere Tam.