The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

21 minutes ago, AuAl said:

A ridiculous save from Charlie right at the end before the rebound is flagged offside. 

What on Earth was Ridgers doing for our second thought. Comes way out when Daire is wide which means he’s late getting back and then just flops to the ground for McKenzie to pass it into the net. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

What on Earth was Ridgers doing for our second thought. Comes way out when Daire is wide which means he’s late getting back and then just flops to the ground for McKenzie to pass it into the net. 

I thought his positioning for the first was poor too. Gave Mullin lots to aim at.

12 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From his Morton signings you could argue McAdams and McGinty have been a success. Fjortoft and Salkeld were obviously both shite. 

Its worth checking out Salkeld's last couple of goals for Clyde, absolute peaches. Especially the one v Dunfermline last Saturday. Never thought I'd see him score goals like that!

27 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

From his Morton signings you could argue McAdams and McGinty have been a success. Fjortoft and Salkeld were obviously both shite. 

Yeah, McGinty especially has been a success and has been much improved this season. Same with McAllister - who looked like a competition winner last season but has actually become decent. 

Good god - where to start with this? The first thing that comes to mind is getting a result in, of all places, Inverness. I wonder what odds were quoted because there couldn't have been many lumpin on Ayr United and certainly not any form-followers. I hope some Ayr fans took a load of cash from the bookies.

Didn't make the game for obvious reasons (thanks SPFL for that fixture at the end of the season and on a Friday night ffs) and suffered through Live Scores on the Sky app (thanks also to ICT for no PPV ffs and the Beeb for no Sportsound Open All Mics) - Mullin scoring (YAAAAAAAS!!!!!) must have made my neighbours jump but the ICT equaliser had me in a black mood with the thought of the over the top parade of royal scroungers today making it worse.

Then a fucking miracle happened - one of my favourite players (take a bow Mark Mackenzie) scored what turned out to be the winner that put us into 2nd spot and the play offs (in years gone by, that would have meant promotion so thanks again to the the Self Preservation League for your guff).

Must have been agony for those heroes there when ICT got what looked like another equaliser (rightly chalked off from what I've seen on the highlights) but that didn't appear on the Sky App so I was still panicking until the "Match ends, Inverness CT 1, Ayr United 2" line appeared on Sky (YA FUCKIN BEAUTY!!!!!!!). Neighbours awoken from their TV slumbers again, wondering what the f**k is going on; the missus and my daughter came rushing down the stairs and bollocked me again. I didn't care.....best night in years and I had quite a few beers before sleep took over on the sofa. Woke at 2:30am with a smile on my face. It wasn't a dream.

I love you, Ayr United - you give me heartache and joy in equal measure.   

2 hours ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Second half of the season in particular he's been our best player. Timmins probably gets overlooked as he came in with Hopkin but seems to know what he's doing regarding coaching keepers.

Think Timmins deserves lots of praise , the way he coaches and drives the keepers at every session is admirable , Timmins was also the coach who developed Joe Hart in his early years as a professional, guy drives a great culture within the squad also 

A guy I used to work with but still meet up with every now and again is a Sheffield United fan and had done loads of volunteer work years ago with kids and through that met Neil Warnock. He sometimes bumps into him at events and the last time he met him he was telling him about his pal who supports Ayr and how they’ve had a lot of luck getting gems from down South. Warnock admitted he didn’t know a huge amount about the club but said he had noticed Dave Timmins was working here and how lucky we were to have him. Think he was maybe unlucky to be so closely associated with David Hopkin but it seems he’s quite well regarded in England. 

I think it’s great that he came with zero connection to the club but has completely bought into what’s going on and seems to love it now.

7 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I see McInroy isn’t even in the bench for Killie today. He really has been wasted there this season

I know it won’t have been the case but it feels like it was a move made my Killie just to get one over on us. Similar to the way McCall signed Cammy Smith with no thought process as to what he was going to do with him just to stick it to us. 

I’d be taking McInroy back in the summer if he’s going regardless of what league we’re in. 

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I know it won’t have been the case but it feels like it was a move made my Killie just to get one over on us. Similar to the way McCall signed Cammy Smith with no thought process as to what he was going to do with him just to stick it to us. 

I’d be taking McInroy back in the summer if he’s going regardless of what league we’re in. 

I'd take Smith back as well. Not sure if he's burnt his bridges at the club though. 

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I'd take Smith back as well. Not sure if he's burnt his bridges at the club though. 

I can’t see David Smith having him. I know it might seem petty but he already came out and alluded that we wouldn’t be doing business with Todorovs agent (which apparently led to Crawford to coming back as they share an agent) so I can see him taking the same approach with Cammy. 

17 hours ago, itzdrk said:

Not a bad birthday for the wee man @Roxanne's man

Also, we've all given plenty stick to some especially @WATTOO so it's only right to eat some humble pie publicly on this.  

Cheers mate but I must admit that even in my wildest dreams I didn't expect us to pull off 2nd given our recent inconsistent form and lack of creativity.

Brilliant end to the season though, 2nd place secured, good prize money with positive publicity added on and a realistic (if unlikely) chance to pull off a miracle and get to the Premier.

I agree with everyone though, whatever happens in the play offs we must now ensure that we build on this and become a club that has genuine aspirations of getting and even remaining in the top league and that of course will help us attract players and also add to our support as that's the only sustainable way of moving forward as a club.

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Really feel for Charlie Albinson that we have Akinyemi doing bits this year as any other season in our history he would’ve cleaned up the POTY awards. I’d love to know how many points he’s won us this season with big saves. Must be well into double figures by now. 

100% agree with this. Albinson has been excellent this season.

He's made some key saves and I'd struggle to think of any real mistake he has made this season.

Albinson signed and extension already didn’t he? How long was that for? Reckon if he continues to perform as he has this second half of the season someone will come looking at him. Had a few friends watch the game last night and they commented on him and mullin 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Cheers mate but I must admit that even in my wildest dreams I didn't expect us to pull off 2nd given our recent inconsistent form and lack of creativity.

Brilliant end to the season though, 2nd place secured, good prize money with positive publicity added on and a realistic (if unlikely) chance to pull off a miracle and get to the Premier.

I agree with everyone though, whatever happens in the play offs we must now ensure that we build on this and become a club that has genuine aspirations of getting and even remaining in the top league and that of course will help us attract players and also add to our support as that's the only sustainable way of moving forward as a club.

This season is all for nothing if we do an Arbroath next season and regress, I can't see Smith and Mathie letting that happen though.

7 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Albinson signed and extension already didn’t he? How long was that for? Reckon if he continues to perform as he has this second half of the season someone will come looking at him. Had a few friends watch the game last night and they commented on him and mullin 

Think it was only a year extension