The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

I find it a bit pathetic to see some Ayr fans on here giving it the old, "Morton are shite but we were just a bit more shite" nonsense. Stop embarrassing yourselves, we were beaten by the better team on the day. 

We are going to need a good few weeks to see how this all plays out, remember that Dundee got scudded at Dens on match day one and still finished first. We drew with an Arbroath team we all thought would be good and it turned out they were rank rotten. I am not saying everything is rosy in the garden, it ain't, but we are not doomed to relegation just yet. 

5 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

We need to talk about what people were honestly expecting from someone that hasn't played a game since February.

So why was he anywhere near the bench yesterday?  He looked an absolute laughing stock when he came on.  

14 minutes ago, Nelson said:

We need to talk about McGeady.  

Why? Because he didn’t play well in his first game back since February? 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Possibly a bit harsh but he always seems to be free from criticism. 

If you go and read a few pages back he was being criticised for the season tickets. Suggesting that Bullen should’ve been sacked in the summer is harsh. Suggesting that Mathie should’ve been sacked is absolutely wild. 

3 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

I find it a bit pathetic to see some Ayr fans on here giving it the old, "Morton are shite but we were just a bit more shite" nonsense. Stop embarrassing yourselves, we were beaten by the better team on the day. 

There has been an absolute FollowFollow level post-defeat cringefest on here. 

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

It’s not remotely spot on to say that Mathie and Bullen should have been sacked at the end of last season - that is genuinely mental. 

It is absolutely fair enough to have some reservations on Bullen, but we’ll see how that plays out over the next few weeks. 

I obviously don't know what targets they were both set at this time last season, but I think it's fair to assume they both met or exceeded those targets. On that basis I think it would have been extremely unreasonable to exit them. But this year's targets will be more challenging.

The point about the starting eleven only having two changes from last season is probably something that Bullen would agree with - we know that we have missed out on several key targets already this season so it is clear that this was not the plan. Whether anyone is specifically to blame for that or whether it is just where we are financially I don't know.

I ended up being unable to go to the game yesterday which sounds like it was lucky for me!

Finally, on Ahui I would not write him off yet. I have a friend who is a Lincoln fan who told me that he is a good footballer and should do well for us (and he usually sets quite a high bar). As a point of comparison when we signed Maguire he told me he was a waste of space and would do absolutely nothing for us. I can only hope that he is as right about Ahui as he was about Maguire!

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Why? Because he didn’t play well in his first game back since February? 

If you go and read a few pages back he was being criticised for the season tickets. Suggesting that Bullen should’ve been sacked in the summer is harsh. Suggesting that Mathie should’ve been sacked is absolutely wild. 

In that sense I won’t blame McGeady.  He’s clearly nowhere close to match fitness.  I was actually quite shocked to see him on the bench - probably needs a couple of reserve games before a first team return.  I guess the question is whether I believe he’ll ever be fit.  As for the Technical Director role, I don’t think even McGeady really knows what his remit is.

Strapp didn't play from January onwards due to injury. He's also overrated by a lot of Morton fans because he's a youth academy graduate and gets stuck in and overrated by opposition fans because he'd usually have a great game on TV games. He's always had weaknesses in his game that will stop him going much higher than a club like Morton in my opinion although he's a very capable mid-lower championship left back. 

Calum Waters replaced him and is a much more well rounded player for me and if anything has been an upgrade on Strapp but at the very worst has been a like for like replacement. 

Screenshot_20230806_104019_Chrome.jpg

Edited by port-ton

4 minutes ago, Nelson said:

So why was he anywhere near the bench yesterday?  He looked an absolute laughing stock when he came on.  

I'm not the manager so you'll need to ask him. Although my original question could be directed at both the fans and Bullen.

Between Ahui and McGeady, nothing like writing a player off before they've even played 90 minutes.

We're not doomed for relegation. Don't know where the histrionics are coming from. We had an off a day against a team that were set up to play effectively against us. After their goal they steamrolled us, but it wasn't like they were easy on the eye or that the game was anything other than scrappy. Two scrappy teams, one scrappier than the other. No particularly het up about it or getting irate cos we lost the first game of the season.  It is what it is, move on. 

2 minutes ago, Nelson said:

In that sense I won’t blame McGeady.  He’s clearly nowhere close to match fitness.  I was actually quite shocked to see him on the bench - probably needs a couple of reserve games before a first team return.  I guess the question is whether I believe he’ll ever be fit.  As for the Technical Director role, I don’t think even McGeady really knows what his remit is.

I’d imagine it was an act of desperation throwing him on to try and salvage something.

If you read any of McGeadys interviews then you’ll see what his remit is. It’s a learning opportunity for him where he’ll get to work on several different areas of the club. 

10 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Thank feck for that an Ayr fan that is talking sense about game the sour grapes coming from some of your fans is comical.

Ayr United are not going to sack their manager and managing director in the aftermath of a second place finish.

The shite spouted on this thread is the only thing worse than some of our performances over the last year.